M
mike182d
Guest
Then why isn’t Vietnam considered a “success?”I think that when our fighting forces come home, that’s a success for our country, not a failure.
Then why isn’t Vietnam considered a “success?”I think that when our fighting forces come home, that’s a success for our country, not a failure.
Germany declared war on the US a day or two after we declared war on Japan. We immediately started fighting the Japanese, whereas we didn’t start fighting the Germans until we invaded North Africa in mid-1942.Do you recall FDR talking about the liberation of the Jews? Why did FDR launch an offensive against Germany immediately following Pearl Harbor when clearly Japan was our immediate aggressor?
To those who wanted our men home, I think it would have been a success. By war’s end, both conservatives and liberals were thoroughly fed up with the war. No one wanted our forces to stay there and keep fighting.Then why isn’t Vietnam considered a “success?”
I see your point. Our armed forces are bogged down in a quagmire thanks to our Administration, and they can’t slog their way out that easily.What do Richardols and gnjsdad suggest we do to end the war? We are there and that is a fact, now argueing about whether we should have gone or not is a moot point.
I’m with Richardols. I haven’t a clue how to win the war in Iraq; neither, I suspect, do the President or his neoconservative advisors who got us into the mess. What we have here is a Hobson’s choice. Staying and leaving are equally unpalatable alternatives at this point. This insures more American casualties, a growing insurgency, and more Iraqi deaths.What do Richardols and gnjsdad suggest we do to end the war? We are there and that is a fact, now argueing about whether we should have gone or not is a moot point. What do you want to do to get our troops home and give the Iraqis the freedom they deserve?
I thought about making this a new thread, but it seems more appropriate to post it here.The US now has plans to construct at least 4 giant military bases in Iraq, which strongly suggests that the American military isn’t coming home from Iraq anytime soon. Empire, anyone?
We all know the US will be in Iraq for awhile, altough I think we will be in Afghanistan longer. If you are going to move troops from 100s of small bases and consolidate them into a few larger bases (while moving a lot of troops home), you need to plan for and establish the few, larger bases.I thought about making this a new thread, but it seems more appropriate to post it here.
This is a source for the story of the plans for US base construction in Iraq. If a country makes that kind of military and economic commitment, it’s not on the verge of leaving.
However, just who in the future is going to man (or woman - for those of you who see military service as equal opportunity) these bases is very much open to question, especially if the desertion problem gets any bigger and mid-level officers continue to plot their own exit strategy.
The US Army has missed its recruiting goals for the last three months. On Friday, May 20 they stopped recruiting to retrain recruiters who were misleading and threatening potential recruits. At the same time the resistance in Iraq is growing. Is the US military more successful in recruiting for the resistance than it is for the US Army?
The rest of the article…
It may become one if it isn’t such already.gnjsdad and Richardols, you guys DO seem like you are cheerleading for the US to fail. All of it is based on the perception, and you keep parroting the talking points without fail, that Iraq is a “quagmire”.
Sorry, we’ll have to get the “Happy News” reporter for you.Negative, negative, negative 100% of the time seems to be your way.
Why not? They fit the definition.(don’t you dare call them insurgents)
As opposed to you, who keeps reading the sh** that you get off the right-wing news sources.You just keep reading **** that you got off of antiwar.com and The Guardian.
But what has shocked and dismayed me, way beyond the sadness and regret of our losses, has been the willingness, even the eagerness, among many on the left who want nothing more than to see our side lose.
I’m sure that such people exist. I haved no sympathy for them.
Cut-and-paste from some right-wing website, eh? Why not post your own original thoughts?cont’d
No, today the loudest criticisms of the West come not from the bottom, but from the top: millionaire filmmakers and Harvard University professors and columnists who live in luxury skyscrapers…
End of sermon.
There was no post-war Nazi insurgency.
Quite wrong. There indeed was a post-war insurgency
What examples have you of any media working for an American military defeat while in combat against Iraq?
You want proof, I got your proof right here:
powerlineblog.com/archives/010504.php
Read 'em and weep.
Because he states it better than I could myself.Cut-and-paste from some right-wing website, eh? Why not post your own original thoughts?
Like the universal habit on this Forum of using “liberal” as a pejorative?But I guess labelling things as “right wing” beats having to think about the arguments for a change.
INRI, would you happen to have a link for this? I made the comment about Nazi post-war insurgency based off of something I saw on the History Channel months ago, but couldn’t remember specifics.Quite wrong. There indeed was a post-war insurgency
Oh? What teaches that we have no right to refuse to bear arms against another?There is no such thing as a Catholic pacifist - it contradicts 1950 years of solid Catholic theology.
Pacificism is the complete rejection of war as a solution. Read the works of any theologian prior to the late-19th century and you will be hard pressed to find one that agrees with this position.Oh? What teaches that we have no right to refuse to bear arms against another?