Is The US Recruiting For The Insurgency?

  • Thread starter Thread starter gnjsdad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
mike182d:
Certainly a person can object to a war, personally, but a person who rejects any and all wars is never justified.
As I understood it, a nation may not be pacifist, but an individual can be a pacifist under any circumstances, even for a war in which his own country is invaded.
 
40.png
Richardols:
As I understood it, a nation may not be pacifist, but an individual can be a pacifist under any circumstances, even for a war in which his own country is invaded.
I believe that is correct, since the Church recognizes conscientious objectors. Here’s an interesting article on the subject (I can’t vouch for the authors, nor their heterodoxy…but, it’s an interesting article.)

losangelesmission.com/ed/articles/2003/0403cz.htm
a Catholic may not reject the possibility of a just war, he thinks it is “in harmony with a Christian’s vocation” to be a universal pacifist. “But I also think,” he added, “that it is in harmony with a Christian’s vocation not to be a universal pacifist.”
Peace,

Robert
 
The notion of war being entirely evil, in its own right, without qualifications, is an anachronism. It only dates to about the 18th century. The traditional view of war, as seen by Augustine and Aquinas, would consider the reasons that a war is waged as part of its “justness”. Indeed, Augustine actually looked upon warfare as a way for a man to build virtue. Just war tradition does not regard armed force as inherently suspect morally; rather it treats armed force as an instrument that can be used for good or for evil, depending on who is using it, for what ends, and how. In other words, force itself is a tool that is evil only to the extent it is used indiscriminately, by immoral leaders for immoral ends.

Let’s take one historic example, the Crusades. As Jonathan Riley-Smith has written, it was extremely important to the Crusaders that they have a just causus belli, in this case, the atrocities committed on Christian pilgrims to the Holy Land. Regardless of what later became of the Crusades, a good case can be made that they at least had a just cause for being waged in the beginning.

The magazine First Things has had several illuminating articles on this topic. I link to just one, an exchange between Rowan Williams, Anglican Archbishop of Canterbury and George Weigel - papal biographer to John Paul II:
firstthings.com/ftissues/ft0403/articles/williamsweigel.html

I like this quote from the Weigel side of the debate (emphasis mine):
…the just war tradition is not a free-floating casuistry of means tests; that just war thinking must function within a normative understanding of the political task; that, in this very specific sense, “war” is a moral category—it is the use of proportionate and discriminate armed force for public ends by publicly accountable public authorities who have a moral obligation to defend those for whom they have assumed responsibility; and that “war” (bellum) must be rigorously distinguished from brigandage, piracy, terrorism, and other forms of duellum, the use of armed force by private persons for private ends.

Note that the car-bombing decapitators running amok in Iraq fit no part of this definition. Whatever you think of the US case for war, the terrorist adversaries in Iraq are waging an unjust war, by unjust means for unjust ends.

If you feel morally compelled to refuse military service, that is for your own conscience. I won’t argue with you, except to say that Catholic moral tradition doesn’t compel one to reach the same conclusion. Thankfully, we have an all-volunteer army. One could argue that you need to consider that if you don’t help defend your country, someone else has to. To quote one writer : “*Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.” *
 
40.png
INRI:
Before you lefties get off posting more anti-military propaganda, read this link. Yes, the whole thing. I realize it is long, but with several family members in the military, I am sickened whenever I read garbage from your ilk that seems like little more than cheerleading for the U.S. to fail. Guess what? If the U.S. loses and has to retreat from Iraq, YOU lose. It’s that simple.

ejectejecteject.com/
Thanks for the link and the words. I get too tired to protest sometimes, but it is nice to know that some see it the same way I do. 👍
 
40.png
INRI:
gnjsdad and Richardols, you guys DO seem like you are cheerleading for the US to fail.
I will also ask you to please cite where I’m “cheerleading for the US to fail”.
40.png
INRI:
The terrorists (don’t you dare call them insurgents) are in fact getting more desperate.
I’ll call them what I choose to call them. Insurgents is just as valid a term as terrorists, because the resistance to the US occupation is composed of both.
40.png
INRI:
They are hated by nearly all of the population, Shia, Kurd, and Sunni because all they bring is death and destruction.
This is only a half-truth, and if you want to continue deluding yourself with half truths, by all means feel free. The insurgency survives because the general population shelters and feeds it. Of course, not all civilians support it, but if it is hated half as much as you seem to think, it would have been beaten long ago. Anyone with even rudimentary military knowledge knows that insurgencies cannot survive without the support of the civilian populace.
40.png
INRI:
They have no plan to rebuild the country. In fact, the majority appear to be foreigners now.
If you know this for a fact, you’d better tell General Myers and the Joint Chiefs, because they say they can’t tell exactly what it’s components are. Even the commanders in Iraq aren’t totally sure. The best I can tell, there are foreigeners, Baathist remanants, and ordinary Iraqis driven to it by counterproductive US military tactics.

One of my chief complaints about Bush’s conduct of the war is his near total reliance on the military for solutions. This situation calls for diplomacy of the highest caliber, and, with lightweights like Condoleeza Rice guiding our foreign policy, I am not hopeful.

Another thing you’re wrong about is your persistent attempts to characterize all war opponents as “leftists”. But, again, feel free to persist in your mistakes if that’s waht makes you feel good.
 
40.png
INRI:
If you feel morally compelled to refuse military service, that is for your own conscience. I won’t argue with you, except to say that Catholic moral tradition doesn’t compel one to reach the same conclusion.
Agreed. One man can be a total pacifist while his brother joins the Army. Both may very well be outstandingly orthodox Catholics.
Thankfully, we have an all-volunteer army.
Right. No one is dragooned into any war.
One could argue that you need to consider that if you don’t help defend your country, someone else has to.
And, if those do so voluntarily, so much the better.
 
40.png
gnjsdad:
I will also ask you to please cite where I’m “cheerleading for the US to fail”.
All one needs to do is click on your name a look at all your past postings - the history speaks for itself.
I’ll call them what I choose to call them. Insurgents is just as valid a term as terrorists, because the resistance to the US occupation is composed of both.
You can call them whatever you want - “Minutemen” as Michael Moore uses the term. I just choose to call people who bomb and decapitate innocent civilians as terrorists. Why is that so hard to understand? I just don’t think we should apply such a morally neutral term to people who act so despicably evil.

This is only a half-truth, and if you want to continue deluding yourself with half truths, by all means feel free. The insurgency survives because the general population shelters and feeds it.
The general population is scared to death of the “insurgents” because informants have a nasty habit of ending up dead, that is the only reason they have not all been given up. What constructive program do the “insurgents” have for rebuilding Iraq? Reconstituting the torture chambers seems to be the only program they have going right now. So which part of my statement is a “half-truth”? Even the Sunnis (in general) have figured out that they are better off joining the new government - a fact you would know by now if you had actually bothered to read the link I posted about the “Good News From Iraq”.
Of course, not all civilians support it, but if it is hated half as much as you seem to think, it would have been beaten long ago. Anyone with even rudimentary military knowledge knows that insurgencies cannot survive without the support of the civilian populace.
They only need pockets of support. Pockets of support is all they have. That, and an ability to terrify the populace. The “patriots” of American Revolution only initially had the support of a minority of the population.

If you know this for a fact, you’d better tell General Myers and the Joint Chiefs, because they say they can’t tell exactly what it’s components are. Even the commanders in Iraq aren’t totally sure. The best I can tell, there are foreigeners, Baathist remanants, and ordinary Iraqis driven to it by counterproductive US military tactics.
If you read detailed descriptions of the recent Operation Matador, you’ll find that most of the killed “insurgents” were carrying foreign passports, especially from Saudi Arabia.
One of my chief complaints about Bush’s conduct of the war is his near total reliance on the military for solutions. This situation calls for diplomacy of the highest caliber, and, with lightweights like Condoleeza Rice guiding our foreign policy, I am not hopeful.
Yeah, lets send a diplomatic mission to al-Zarqawi - *THAT’s *going to work. I can see the conversation now:
Condoleeza: Could you please stop blowing up innocent people with car bombs?
al-Zarqawi: No.
Condoleeza: Pretty please?
al-Zarqawi: No.
Condoleeza: …
Diplomacy won’t work with these guys, because there is no point at reasonable agreement with them. They detest anything and everything of the West, especially democracy. There is no reasoning or bargaining with them.
Another thing you’re wrong about is your persistent attempts to characterize all war opponents as “leftists”. But, again, feel free to persist in your mistakes if that’s waht makes you feel good.
I didn’t characterize all war opponents as leftists. But, as I’m sure you’ll not dispute, the profile of the average person who opposed the war generally leans left. The most prominent figures in the anti-war side are all leftists except Patrick Buchanan, and hardly anyone pays attention to him anymore.
 
(cont’d from above)
What I am most incensed about is that the antiwar left is playing the role, to borrow an expression from the Cold War, of “useful idiots”. They’ll pick up any stone to throw at the U.S., even to the point of inadvertantly supporting some of the most despotic, brutal, and murderous scum on the face of the planet just as long as those despotic, brutal,murderous scum oppose the US. (Just to be clear, I’m not accusing those on this forum of this.) How many of these anti-war protesters have you seen sporting Che Guvara or Mao shirts? What about the continuing leftist fascination with Fidel Castro? What about the Free Mumia movement? These all have in common, the willingness to look the other way at murder and other atrocities, because these guys happen to oppose America. Saddam falls in the same camp. He’s killed hundreds of thousands of his own people, yet you continue to argue unwittingly on the behalf of those who want to reconstitute either a Taliban-like Caliphate or a rebirth of a murderous Baathist thug-ocracy.
 
40.png
INRI:
What I am most incensed about is that the antiwar left is playing the role, to borrow an expression from the Cold War, of “useful idiots”.

Depends whose ox is gored. There are useful idiots who serve the Al-Qaida side and there are those useful idiots who serve the American side.
They’ll pick up any stone to throw at the U.S., even to the point of inadvertantly supporting some of the most despotic, brutal, and murderous scum on the face of the planet just as long as those despotic, brutal,murderous scum oppose the US. (Just to be clear, I’m not accusing those on this forum of this.)
You are indeed doing so by innuendo.
What about the continuing leftist fascination with Fidel Castro?
There are a lot of Americans who want to open trade with Cuba, and many are Republicans. If we can trade with China and Vietnam, and other repressive regimes, there’s no reason not to do so with Cuba.
 
40.png
gnjsdad:
One of my chief complaints about Bush’s conduct of the war is his near total reliance on the military for solutions. This situation calls for diplomacy of the highest caliber, and, with lightweights like Condoleeza Rice guiding our foreign policy, I am not hopeful.
The first Gulf War was ended by a conditional ceasefire. Saddam continually failed to uphold his end of the deal, so much so that the U.N. wrote about 18 different resolutions over the course of seven years or so to try and give Saddam “another chance” and avoid military conflict. And yet, Saddam continued to break the conditions of this ceasefire.

I would be really interested in hearing what your idea of more diplomacy would be and how it would have done anything but allow Saddam to slaughter more of his own people, manipulate the Oil for Food program, and increase his might.

The fact of the matter is that we tried diplomacy for years under different administrations and nothing worked. I guess we just should have tried for another seven years…
 
I have come to the conclusion that you have no shame…and you certainly have no pride for your country or our military…I can honestly say that I have never read even one post of yours that was in praise of what we are doing in the war on terror…not even 1 post supporting our military. :nope:
40.png
gnjsdad:
The US Army has missed its recruiting goals for the last three months. On Friday, May 20 they stopped recruiting to retrain recruiters who were misleading and threatening potential recruits. At the same time the resistance in Iraq is growing. Is the US military more successful in recruiting for the resistance than it is for the US Army?

The rest of the article…
 
40.png
dumspirospero:
I have come to the conclusion that you have no shame…and you certainly have no pride for your country or our military…I can honestly say that I have never read even one post of yours that was in praise of what we are doing in the war on terror…not even 1 post supporting our military. :nope:
Oh, yes.

Let’s look at some of the things we should be proud of.

In the 27 days Iraq has had a new government (the purported culmination of the flowering of peace and democracy we were told would result) 562 Iraqis and 58 American soldiers have been killed.
The number of US combat deaths has been increasing over the past 2 weeks. Yup, that’s something to jump up and down over, alright.

Further, the situation in Iraq is inching ever closer to civil war (something you know I discussed in earlier posts). This, also, is something which, if I had any shame, I guess I would be proud of.

And finally, something for which I blame the civilian geniuses in the Pentagon running this war, the latest U.S. sweep through Baghdad has only resulted in fueling the insurgency further. When we need a Metternich to deal with this situation, we have a Lord North.

When American troops are dying in an Iraq which I see moving further and further into the arms of Iran (a new Baghdad/Tehran axis is emerging), I see no reason to be proud. Just sad.
 
40.png
gnjsdad:
When American troops are dying in an Iraq which I see moving further and further into the arms of Iran (a new Baghdad/Tehran axis is emerging), I see no reason to be proud.
I don’t see this at all. For example:

Iraq’s ministry of interior has abolished an old ban on bars and nightclubs that was enforced by Saddam back in the early 1990s. If what you said were true, this would never happen.

The fiercest battles of WWII happened right before the fall of Germany and Japan respectively. (not that lately we have been fighting the fiercest battles fought in Iraq). In fact, as far as American Casulties are concerned, we are substantionally below last year. See:
globalsecurity.org/military/ops/iraq_casualties.htm

Something for your consideration:
Could spring follow this summer?
and
Zarqawi taken Out of Iraq?
 
40.png
gnjsdad:
Oh, yes.

Let’s look at some of the things we should be proud of.

In the 27 days Iraq has had a new government (the purported culmination of the flowering of peace and democracy we were told would result) 562 Iraqis and 58 American soldiers have been killed.
The number of US combat deaths has been increasing over the past 2 weeks. Yup, that’s something to jump up and down over, alright.

Further, the situation in Iraq is inching ever closer to civil war (something you know I discussed in earlier posts). This, also, is something which, if I had any shame, I guess I would be proud of.

And finally, something for which I blame the civilian geniuses in the Pentagon running this war, the latest U.S. sweep through Baghdad has only resulted in fueling the insurgency further. When we need a Metternich to deal with this situation, we have a Lord North.

When American troops are dying in an Iraq which I see moving further and further into the arms of Iran (a new Baghdad/Tehran axis is emerging), I see no reason to be proud. Just sad.
There is no more illustrative example of the Bush administration’s incompetence in dealing with the Iraqi insurgency than this story.

The most dismaying thing I’ve read in a while is a Page One story in the May 17 Philadelphia Inquirer, by staff reporters Hannah Allam and Mohammed al Dulaimy, headlined “Iraqis Lament a Call for Help.” If you want to know why we’re not winning in Iraq, and why we’re not likely to win anytime soon (if ever), there is no more brutally illustrative tale.

The rest of the article
 
Part of the reason why they are the US ARMY, not the US police. Police work was really never a job of the military, it just happens to fall onto them.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top