Is this cheating sinful?

• Thread starter Thread starter saintlouisblues19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
She’s told us explicitly she doesn’t care if we copy answers because the tests/quizzes will for the most part determine our grade

I don’t know how to do it, and the teacher isn’t providing any help and could care less how it’s done
You need to notify your parents and/or the principal that your teacher is not helping you. That is her job. It is what she is paid to do. Therefore, she needs to do her job.

“Copying” is not going to teach you how to do it. And you will have to know how to do it for a quiz or test. Copying is wrong, because it is cheating. Cheating is always wrong, it does not depend on what anyone else thinks about it or whether or not they “care“ if you cheat.

Last edited:
That is something that I also struggle with. And now that you mention it, then it is best for me to say that really what you need to do is do ur work, and if you feel tempted to copy it because you are tired, then offer it up as a sacrifice for the ones that most need it, the souls in purgatory especially the forgotten ones.

The teacher really needs to make a good faith effort to try and help you. Be advised that she may be directed by administration not to do any one on one video conferencing. That’s doesn’t preclude her from making a video for you to review or giving you a good link to it. I’ve had some good luck looking up math issues on sites like Khan Academy online.

God doesn’t set the rules in the classroom. The teacher does. The teacher said she doesn’t care if students copy answers. Therefore, copying is not against the rules and therefore not cheating.

Look up the equivalent topic on Khan Academy and watch the video explanation. Then do the practice problems. If you still don’t understand then call or e-mail your teacher. My kids have been messaging their teachers since the beginning of this mess and they have always been responsive. It’s still your teacher’s job to teach you, even under these circumstances.

God doesn’t set the rules in the classroom. The teacher does. The teacher said she doesn’t care if students copy answers. Therefore, copying is not against the rules and therefore not cheating.
If a spouse “doesn’t care” if their spouse cheats on them (i.e. is a proponent of open marriage), the person who cheats on their spouse still commits adultery.

The student who doesn’t do their own work, cheats. Whether the teacher “cares” or not.

Cheating is always a sin. It is lying, it is stealing.

Your goal is to be educated, right? One does not gain education by cheating.

Most schools and colleges have codes.of conduct (including not copying work) that all students agree to abide by.

Most have disciplinary consequences for breaching the code. It won’t help.you if you say the teacher doesn’t care - you would still not be abiding by the code.

Have to agree with the others who have said discuss with parents and the school that you aren’t getting the help you.need, and see if you can legitimately get help somewhere else if you need it.

40.png
on_the_hill:
If a spouse “doesn’t care” if their spouse cheats on them (i.e. is a proponent of open marriage), the person who cheats on their spouse still commits adultery.

The student who doesn’t do their own work, cheats. Whether the teacher “cares” or not.
I disagree with your analogy. Marriage is a sacrament. Homework is entirely at the direction of the teacher. If the teacher hands out homework and the answer key and says do it however you want, then copying the answers isn’t cheating.

In a college programming class, the professors gave us five example programs for the final. We were told we would get one of the five as the exam. The examples were word-for-word what was on the exam. I had another professor who expected us to have written out the exam answers in our notes beforehand when he gave an open-note test. In grad school, I had a professor who basically gave us the answers to his exam the night
before the test.

It wasn’t cheating to use the answers they gave us because they intended for us to use the answers.

This is not at all the same as cheating on a spouse, which you know very well, @1ke, because marriage is a sacrament and a vow before God. I’ve had some remarkable teachers in my life but none were God.

Last edited:
Cheating is always a sin. It is lying, it is stealing.

Your goal is to be educated, right? One does not gain education by cheating.
There’s a local bread shop near my house. Sometimes when I got there to buy a loaf of bread, the owner says, “Go ahead and take another. No charge. On the house” Am I stealing because I only pay for one?

Cheating is always sinful. However, if I’ve understood the scenario correctly, the teacher has made it clear that copying the answers is acceptable to her, and therefore does not constitute cheating, within the rules set by the teacher. Clearly, in her mind, the physical act of writing out the answers satisfies whatever learning objective she has in mind. The fact that other teachers or posters on this thread disagree with her teaching approach is irrelevant. Simply copy the answers, or attempt to work them out on your own if you are able, whichever you prefer or think will better suit your learning. No need to overthink this.

Last edited:
Look, I am a secondary school student, and doing that is wrong. It is immoral. I have ‘been there’ with regards to challenging work as have most of us. But cheating is never licit.

I am at school, you are at school to learn. Not lie or cheat.

I have a feeling that you have come here to simply have people tell you that what you’re doing is fine. You want to hear that it’s morally licit to do that. And you don’t seem to accept any answer except for ‘it’s fine to do that’.

If you do this, remember that it is most likely cheating, and at worst, a serious academic misdemeanour.

Unless your teacher has specifically told you that it’s fine to copy the answers, then do not do it. If worst comes to worst, tell your teacher you couldn’t work it out.

Last edited:
Unless your teacher has specifically told you that it’s fine to copy the answers , then do not do it. If worst comes to worst, tell your teacher you couldn’t work it out.
The OP has in fact claimed that this is exactly what has happened.
She’s told us explicitly she doesn’t care if we copy answers because the tests/quizzes will for the most part determine our grade
If that is the case, this copying is not cheating.

40.png
catholic03:
Unless your teacher has specifically told you that it’s fine to copy the answers , then do not do it. If worst comes to worst, tell your teacher you couldn’t work it out.
The OP has in fact claimed that this is exactly what has happened.
If that is the case, this copying is not cheating.
The school may have a differenr view, and a code.of conduct prohibiting copying. Plus a student may, in the course of submitting work, be required to make.a.declaration that it is all.their own work. In either case the fact that the teacher says it is OK will carry little if any weight.

Last edited:
is copying a cheat? my nieces do that all the time during online class as covid19 lol.

Bread makers are free to gift their goods to whomever they please.

On the other hand, if you went in tomorrow and bought one loaf but stuck another in your pocket “just because I am a good customer and I deserve this” that is stealing.

However, if I’ve understood the scenario correctly, the teacher has made it clear that copying the answers is acceptable to her, and therefore does not constitute cheating, within the rules set by the teacher.
I’d wager you a roast beef sandwich that the school has a strict policy on cheating. The fact that the teacher thumbs his/her nose at this policy does not make cheating good or worthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back