Is this cheating sinful?

• Thread starter Thread starter saintlouisblues19
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
The school may have a differenr view, and a code.of conduct prohibiting copying. Plus a student may, in the course of submitting work, be required to make.a.declaration that it is all.their own work. In either case the fact that the teacher says it is OK will carry little if any weight.
What are you talking about? It is the responsibility of the teacher to know what constraints or policies she works under. It is not up to the student.

I’d wager you a roast beef sandwich that the school has a strict policy on cheating. The fact that the teacher thumbs his/her nose at this policy does not make cheating good or worthy.
I’m sure they do, but you are changing the topic.

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)
Here’s my definition of cheating. Are you using a different one?

Of course. But that’s not what happened in this case. In this case, the person who sets the rules is the one who changed the rules.

If a bishop says it’s ok to eat meat on a Friday during Lent, then it’s not a sin to eat meat on a Friday during Lent.

40.png
LilyM:
The school may have a differenr view, and a code.of conduct prohibiting copying. Plus a student may, in the course of submitting work, be required to make.a.declaration that it is all.their own work. In either case the fact that the teacher says it is OK will carry little if any weight.
What are you talking about? It is the responsibility of the teacher to know what constraints or policies she works under. It is not up to the student.
Also, teachers need to have discretion in how they interpret rules and how they handle individual situations.

I don’t know how to do it, and the teacher isn’t providing any help and could care less how it’s done
That sounds like you have a very poor teacher, and I’m sorry about that, but the goal is to learn how to do the problems, not just to make the correct answers appear .

Rather than just copying, is there a fellow student or an internet resource that does know how to do it and might be willing and able to teach you better than your teacher?

I don’t think it is one of the 10 Commandments. But not doing the work is, to put it politely, less than intelligent. The work is there for learning, not pretending.

It is not stealing; nothing was taken. As to cheating, you are not cheating the teacher; you are cheating yourself.

You re tied up in knots about the “moral issue” and failing to see what is right in front of you - your learning. Since you are a student, you should be familiar with how to do research on line; I suspect you could find a tutorial of how to do the work if you actually applied yourself.

If tests/quizzes are going to determine your grade, then you will fail the part which this problem entails; and since the last time I took math, one problem builds on the one before it, you likely will not be able to answer anything which builds on the problem you are struggling with.

It doesn’t matter whether the teacher cares or doesn’t care if you copy the answer; if you don’t know how to do the work, then you need to learn how. You are not in school for the grades; you are there to learn. Quit whining and start finding a way to learn how to solve the problem. There are suggestions above - a website is offered; or you can contact the school administration.

Yes - he did - and you are right that he deserves an answer.

But one problem with CAF is that a personal question is asked and then all the respondents say something different. That just confuses the OP.

Not necessarily. It may give him the opportunity to see things from another point of view.

On the other hand, if you went in tomorrow and bought one loaf but stuck another in your pocket “just because I am a good customer and I deserve this” that is stealing.
Or if you got the bread after buying the first loaf with a stolen credit card.

40.png
LilyM:
Sorry, but every student at every education facility I have ever been to is expected to personally know and abide by the school’s code of student conduct. Which usually covers such things as cheating or plagiarism.

it is NOT up to the teacher.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back