Is tradition holding mainstream religions back?

• Thread starter Thread starter SalamKhan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, no evidence whatsoever. “Presbyter” was an “elder” or “old man”, furthermore, Protestant academics argue that there was no difference between a “bishop” (meaning “overseer”) & presbyter, since the terms were used interchangeably by the early church fathers.

Sorry. I misunderstood the purpose of your thread. If you just want to criticize Catholic Church under the guise of discussing traditions, count me out.

Not sure how that’s criticizing the Catholic Church. You guys claimed there is a difference between traditions (customs) & Sacred Tradition. I merely disputed that claim.

I really don’t think it’s a matter of tradition/custom versus Sacred Tradition.
I’m sorry, but your comment and the example you use suggest to me that you don’t understand what we mean by “sacred tradition”.

Belief in Purgatory and in certain Marian dogmas are sacred tradition in large part because they are not in Scripture. That’s what we mean by “sacred tradition”. Bishops needing more priests is not sacred tradition, and the concept of the priesthood is based in Scripture.

Belief in Purgatory and in certain Marian dogmas are sacred tradition
Why don’t the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian Church, etc. believe these things then? They believe in “Sacred Tradition” too.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, what categories would priests remaining unmarried and celibate, not eating fish on Fridays, and the Sunday obligation fall under? In other words, Dogma, Tradition, Church discipline, or something else?
Sunday obligation is both in the Ten Commandments and a Precept of the Church. In other words, one of the things a Catholic must do at minimum to be a Church member. It’s also scripturally based.

Not eating meat on Friday is a pious custom and a traditional penance, but not a sacred tradition in the sense of an unchangeable truth of the Church. The bishops of a region determine whether people need to eat fish on Fridays. If it were sacred tradition or dogma or a Precept of the Church, it wouldn’t be left up to the bishops.

Priests being unmarried and celibate is only a tradition and Church discipline in the Western Catholic Church. Eastern Catholics have always had married priests. Again this is not a sacred tradition, as in a truth of the Church, because if it were, you wouldn’t have different subgroups of Catholics with different rules.

Having said all that, and I know it’s confusing, I too will leave the thread as the OP seems to have an agenda here.

Orthodox aren’t Catholics
Common origins, so you’d think if there really was a difference between traditions (customs) & “Sacred Tradition”, maybe it wouldn’t just be Catholics claiming purgatory to be “Sacred Tradition”?

… some Catholics actually admit that the priesthood is a 4th century development; bishops couldn’t be in so many places & so started ordaining priests…
Except that Bishops are priests. So that statement makes no sense.
Yeah, no evidence whatsoever. “Presbyter” was an “elder” or “old man”, furthermore, Protestant academics argue that there was no difference between a “bishop” (meaning “overseer”) & presbyter, since the terms were used interchangeably by the early church fathers.
The word “priest” is derived from “presbyter”.
Not sure how that’s criticizing the Catholic Church. You guys claimed there is a difference between traditions (customs) & Sacred Tradition. I merely disputed that claim.
We follow the religion that Jesus Christ established. The Word of God is not up for debate. You disputed that which is indisputable.

Last edited:
Why don’t the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox, Assyrian Church, etc. believe these things then?
The Eastern Orthodox do not define Purgatory like Catholics do but they do believe there is cleansing after death. IMO, it is a difference in semantics but the concept is the same.

My Coptic orthodox friend prays for the dead, but never says “purgatory”. And she was happy when I enrolled her deceased mother in Masses.

Perhaps ‘tradition’ has a somewhat different meaning in religions focused on orthopraxy (behaviour) rather than orthodoxy (belief)?

The Sacred Tradition passed down by Jesus Christ through the Catholic Church, is infallible, whether you agree with it or not.
Not surprisingly, I disagree. Just because you declare something sacred tradition or infallible doesn’t make it so.

Last edited:
This thread is a pointless guessing game and a vague “comparative religious practices”. Mainstream is a fake word. The most prominent religions in the world are not being held back by anything. Creating confusion does create problems for individual believers. That should be discouraged

Not surprisingly, I disagree. Just because you declare something sacred tradition or infallible doesn’t make it so.
Ok. Do you believe this verse?

Isaiah 55:11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.

That’s God speaking to Isaiah. Jesus is God. Jesus spoke these words:

Matthew 28:18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost: 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you always, even unto the end of the world. Amen.

What happened to all these Teachings that Jesus commanded? Who is Teaching them, except the Catholic Church?

Perhaps ‘tradition’ has a somewhat different meaning in religions focused on orthopraxy (behaviour) rather than orthodoxy (belief)?
Orthopraxy of necessity is based upon orthodoxy. Otherwise, the practitioner would not know how or what to practice.

Last edited:
Isaiah 55:11So shall my word be that goeth forth out of my mouth: it shall not return unto me void, but it shall accomplish that which I please, and it shall prosper in the thing whereto I sent it.
And to whom was Isaiah speaking the word that God came to him? The kings, nobles, and priests of Israel who had violated God’s law and taught the people through doctrine and practice to commit idolatry. The Church is not immune to correction. Maybe take the quotes you are using in context before using them.
What happened to all these Teachings that Jesus commanded? Who is Teaching them, except the Catholic Church?
We could certainly argue that on points of doctrine, couldn’t we?

Last edited:
And to whom was Isaiah speaking the word that God came to him? The kings, nobles, and priests of Israel who had violated God’s law and taught the people through doctrine and practice to commit idolatry. The Church is not immune to correction. Maybe take the quotes you are using in context before using them.
Sooo, you don’t believe the verse? That’s what it sounds like to me. Because God is immutable. He doesn’t change. So, His Word will always bear fruit. But you are saying that you don’t believe this is still true. Is that correct?

Sooo, you don’t believe the verse? That’s what it sounds like to me. Because God is immutable. He doesn’t change. So, His Word will always bear fruit. But you are saying that you don’t believe this is still true. Is that correct?
Here you go. The straw man you are attempting to erect by trying to put words in my mouth that I have not said or remotely hinted at. Saying your use of a quote is out of context is not even in the same neighborhood as saying I don’t believe in scripture. But keeping trying. It only demonstrates your own intellectual dishonesty.
(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back