Is wasting food a sin

  • Thread starter Thread starter SeanF1989
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a youtube video posted via a Catholic blog (sorry that I don’t know how better to identify it for searchers!) that was of a man who worked at a KFC in China, who would trash pick all the bones thrown in the trash and take them home on the weekend to his rural village, where they treated it like a feast. One man’s trash is another man’s treasure, indeed. It was gut wrenching.

Sometimes we have to throw things out, but the attitude of first world entitlement that feels like this is okay goes far beyond the issue of wasting food.
 
I always throw out the broccoli.

Please, oh please, don’t tell me that’s a sin? 🤷
You shave time off purgatory by eating broccoli. Seriously.

😉
I have a friend who permits her children to load up their plates, eat half, and pitch the rest. The first time they ate at my house, I let them know in no uncertain times that they were to put on their plates only what they would eat, and then take seconds if needed, but no taking food they wouldn’t eat! It helped that I had grown much of what I served, so they could make the connection between my sweat and their food.

I say clean your plate, but never overload it in the first place.
Exactomundo.

That being said, it’s often difficult to manage with a MIL who thinks you’re “too thin”. :rotfl:
 
I try to cook so there are no leftovers.

I think it is a sin to waste food when it is used for things like all-you-can-eat contests, and when used in arts and crafts projects. (the macaroni wreath).

I live in an area where poverty is very high, and children rely on the school’s breakfast and lunch program so they don’t starve; I feel like I can’t do enough to get more food to the poor.
 
One should never “clean their plate” because people are dying of starvation in Africa, though! How is me finishing my plate of food here going to help them there? On the other hand, it can teach one how to not listen to their body and stop when they are full! When I was a child, I was told all the time to “clean your plate”, “eat all of what you take”, and “have one more cookie - it won’t hurt you”.

<snip.

Oh, can I relate. I still save leftovers, because it “might be used”, but it never does get used. My college age sons are the only 2 who eat leftovers, so when they are gone…leftovers sit in the fridge for a few weeks, then get thrown out, usually with the plastic containers, because the mold is just too nasty to deal with.
The sinfulness is centered on gluttony and waste, and this applies to the cook as well. Making more than you need which then ends up in leftovers thrown away is wasteful. The larger grocery bill that resluts from buying and then cooking more than necessary is wasteful. The limited alms because we think we need the money to pay for our own food, which will then be thrown away uneaten, is sinful.
 
The sinfulness is centered on gluttony and waste, and this applies to the cook as well. Making more than you need which then ends up in leftovers thrown away is wasteful. The larger grocery bill that resluts from buying and then cooking more than necessary is wasteful. The limited alms because we think we need the money to pay for our own food, which will then be thrown away uneaten, is sinful.
Good in theory, except if you have a recipe that makes a certain amount, you end up with a certain amount. This amount may be perfect for 4 of us, but when only 2 of us eat, there are leftovers. I have a freezer full of ground beef that is packaged in 1 pound packages, so when I defrost it, I must make all of it. But 2 of us will not eat all of it! Likewise, I have recipes that call for 1 can of this, 1 can of that, 1 package of another thing, etc. I could use 1/2 a can of this, 1/2 can of that, and 1/2 can of another thing, but then I would still have those 1/2 cans and packages left…🤷
 
Good in theory, except if you have a recipe that makes a certain amount, you end up with a certain amount. This amount may be perfect for 4 of us, but when only 2 of us eat, there are leftovers. I have a freezer full of ground beef that is packaged in 1 pound packages, so when I defrost it, I must make all of it. But 2 of us will not eat all of it! Likewise, I have recipes that call for 1 can of this, 1 can of that, 1 package of another thing, etc. I could use 1/2 a can of this, 1/2 can of that, and 1/2 can of another thing, but then I would still have those 1/2 cans and packages left…🤷
That excuse is a non-starter, do you suppose that all small households throw away half a recipe on a regular basis? Divide your meat into smaller portions before freezing. Find new recipes. Or make the original recipie and freeze the other half of the meal right after cooking it. Then it won’t spoil before you can get to it.
 
There is waste and there is waste. Some people go nuts if you won’t eat a piece of fruit that accidentally has gone bad. Throw it out (or compost it) and don’t worry. (If you are starving, eat it, of course). But we are responsible to use our money and resources wisely. It would be bad if I kept more food than I could eat while my neighbor next door was going to be hungry during that period. That food would just rot and not be eaten. That is waste.
 
That excuse is a non-starter, do you suppose that all small households throw away half a recipe on a regular basis? Divide your meat into smaller portions before freezing. Find new recipes. Or make the original recipie and freeze the other half of the meal right after cooking it. Then it won’t spoil before you can get to it.
Can’t. It came to me frozen. My parents had a beef farm and my family got a cow or 1/2 a cow every year. The smallest we could order the ground beef from the processor was in 1 pound packages, so I literally have a freezer of ground beef in 1 pound packages.

And yes, in talking with my neighbors, coworkers, and friends, I do believe that small households throw out a lot of food. Very few people I know eat leftovers. Most of us put them in the fridge and then throw them out once a new life form begins.
 
It isn’t necessarily a sin, but it can become one. I think part of us realizes that gluttony doesn’t always indicate physical consumption. Gluttony also indicates over consumption of wealth or items. If we waste food just because it’s plentiful, then it would indeed be a form of gluttony. There is a great deal of difference in throwing away something that spoiled in the refrigerator, throwing away a few bites left on the plate, and consistently throwing away several servings of left overs because we don’t want to eat the same thing tomorrow, or just don’t want to have to put it up.
 
Can’t. It came to me frozen. My parents had a beef farm and my family got a cow or 1/2 a cow every year. The smallest we could order the ground beef from the processor was in 1 pound packages, so I literally have a freezer of ground beef in 1 pound packages.

And yes, in talking with my neighbors, coworkers, and friends, I do believe that small households throw out a lot of food. Very few people I know eat leftovers. Most of us put them in the fridge and then throw them out once a new life form begins.
I would love to have access to good beef like you do! My kids are older now also, though so no way I could use that much meat. Sounds like you need to call your local food bank or soup kitchen to see if they need some ground beef. And let your parents know that know that your boys are out of the house you no longer need 1/2 cow. Or send it directly to the food bank, they’d be thrilled!

I guess it is just how people plan. I have always had “leftover day” one night a week, or found recipies that can be converted into a new dish so it’s not just heated up leftovers. Most people I know do this also, so unless a new recipe is a total dud, we don’t throw away much food.
 
I can’t bring myself to pitch leftovers, so lots of times I end up eating the same thing days in a row while my kids have something different that didn’t require such large quantities to make. It’s frustrating. I totally hear you about the half-cans and things. It’s more economical for me to just eat the stuff, but I’ve also started setting aside a couple portions for a priest or sister, and that seems to work out pretty well. I also have to make sure we have company enough to satisfy my desire to cook for a crowd without me having to eat for a crowd. . .

I totally understand why many small households rely on convenience foods. Cooking from scratch is tasty and cheap, but the leftovers are endless.
 
It’s really a case of planning well. There are many recipies designed for fewer servings and not all leave behind a 1/2 can of anything. I now frequently see smaller containers of ingredients at the market - including packages of 2 chops, etc. It can be more expensive to buy the smaller portions, but throwing away food is also expensive. I linked to a recipe site for meals for 2 further up the thread, check that out for ideas.
 
Good in theory, except if you have a recipe that makes a certain amount, you end up with a certain amount. This amount may be perfect for 4 of us, but when only 2 of us eat, there are leftovers. I have a freezer full of ground beef that is packaged in 1 pound packages, so when I defrost it, I must make all of it. But 2 of us will not eat all of it! Likewise, I have recipes that call for 1 can of this, 1 can of that, 1 package of another thing, etc. I could use 1/2 a can of this, 1/2 can of that, and 1/2 can of another thing, but then I would still have those 1/2 cans and packages left…🤷
Why can’t you repackage everything into zip lock bags and into those little one-serving plastic containers for the canned goods when you get home from the grocery shopping, and make them into one-serving packages, so that when you’re cooking for four, you take out four, or when you’re cooking for two, you take out two, or when it’s just you by yourself, you take out one.

I know it’s a lot of work, but if you just build it into your routine, it will soon become a habit, and you’ll end up not wasting as much food. 🙂
 
Only if the money you spend on food represent a significant part of your income.

If you are really poor, then wasting any financial resource is a potential sin.

Otherwise, no.

[We put all “wasted food” into our compost pile, so that nothing is really wasted.]

[We used to put all uneaten food, including bones, into the freezer and save it all up and make soup stock. What was finally left over was run through a food mill and turned into cat food.]
 
Why can’t you repackage everything into zip lock bags and into those little one-serving plastic containers for the canned goods when you get home from the grocery shopping, and make them into one-serving packages, so that when you’re cooking for four, you take out four, or when you’re cooking for two, you take out two, or when it’s just you by yourself, you take out one.

I know it’s a lot of work, but if you just build it into your routine, it will soon become a habit, and you’ll end up not wasting as much food. 🙂
Uh…no. It won’t do it and it won’t ever happen. Who has that kind of time? Then I will simply be spending even more money on plastic baggies and containers which will get thrown away, thus creating even more garbage that is non-recyclable. At least moldy food breaks down, unlike plastic bags!
 
Food represents a form of energy that your body needs to function.

Energy costs money.

Wasting food is throwing money away.

Either finish the food or don’t buy or make as much.

I have always tended, for example, when at an “all you can eat” buffet, to focus on protein for maximum energy rather than on the lettuce and veggies.

And, to cut back on food intake when eating at home, for example.

And … SNACKS!! … I am stunned when at the supermarket, at the price of snacks!! Absolutely empty calories. And at a very high price. And at convenience stores, … or at those chain drug stores, where you go to get prescriptions, you walk through aisle after aisle of wayyyy over-priced snack foods.

If you REALLY must buy snack foods, wait until you get to the “dollar store”. [And maybe by the time you finally get to the dollar store, you won’t buy snack foods.] [Or, if it’s too far out of the way, you won’t even go there by the time you are done with your errands.]

Buy a yogurt maker and make your own yogurt at home for a snack.
 
A word in favor of yogurt for small households: I routinely buy major brands by the case at a discount store for pennies on the dollar because they have passed their “expiration” date. Yogurt with live cultures is perfectly good a full month after the date if kept in the fridge, and Ive managed to keep some in the deep freeze for up to six months before it was discovered and eaten. So don’t ever throw out unopened yogurt!
 
It is likely that living mindlessly - that is, oblivious to the needs of others, and blind to all our blessings, is not the way that God would like us to live.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top