Seeker,
I see, I think I misunderstood you; a poster
in the other thread I was referring to indicated that he didn’t believe that I could possibly be Christian, so I felt that rather than asking my opinion you were verifying the authenticity of my Christian beliefs. (It appears that a moderator has deleted that poster’s comment).
I’ll do my best with the time I have (on a lunch break).
OK, fair enough, but based on your studies of islam and mohammed what are your personal view of him? My personal views are I wouldn’t consider him a man to emulate or follow like the 1.5 billion that do, he is not the “best of role models” as muslims would like to say about him, and he was definitely not sinless, again this is my opinion…Mohammed to me can best be summed up in the tweets (especially parts of tweet # 2 and tweet #3) Hamza Kashgari the saudi blogger wrote about him on the occasion of Mawlid
Viewing Muhammad as a historical figure, it’s truly difficult to say. The only evidence we have of his life are the Qur’an (obviously a biased source, since he revealed it) and the hadith, which is the body of “sayings of the prophet” collected by Muslim scholars. Hadith are often contradictory, and a great deal of Muslim theology concerns itself with determining which of these are true sayings of the prophet and which of them are falsehoods. This is done by evaluating the sources that have transmitted these oral traditions. There are usually many people transmitting stories, and the beginning of a hadith almost always goes something like this:
“I learned from so-and-so on the authority of so-and-so that it was related to him by so-and-so that so-and-so said that the wife of the Prophet said that he said:”
Needless to say, it is no easy matter to piece together which of these are true and which are made up by later generations. There are contradictory hadith, and hadith that some sects believe to be true, and hadith that some sects believe to be false. Secular scholars tend to believe that a great many hadith were made up by later generations to support their views of Islam vs. another person or group’s views of Islam.
With all this, it is thus extremely difficult to piece together exactly who Muhammad was. We can confidently say that he was remarkably eloquent for a man who lived in a largely pre-literate society, he was an inspiring leader who was able to mobilize and maintain support for monotheism in a largely pagan society, he was an effective governor and administrator, and a skilled general. All of these are morally neutral traits.
As far as his “moral compass” goes, I would say that many aspects of Islam, especially the more war-like aspects, hearken back to pre-Islamic bedouin culture, which was characterized by inter-tribal feuds, raids, and a sense of loyalty to the tribe. Muhammad and Islam transformed all this, and unified the previously fragmented Arab tribes. Many aspects of the culture remained; Islam did expand militarily, though NOT barbarically, in many cases the conquests were virtually bloodless, especially in terms of civilian casualties. Furthermore, the Muslim Conquests were NOT concerned with the conversion of conquered peoples; once a people converted, they didn’t pay the poll tax anymore! Early Muslim rulers made virtually no effort to convert conquered peoples because they needed those peoples’ tax revenue.
In this sense, I view Islam expansionism in the same way that I might view early Roman expansionism… lots of fighting between armies, not a terrible amount of civilian death, and a comfortable status quo born from a prosperous empire in the conquests’ immediate wake. This is a historical rather than a religious phenomenon, and that’s how I view it. The advent of Islam is simply what unified the Arab tribes, thus making expansionism possible.
I don’t find Muhammad any more morally good or bad than I do Alexander the Great… and we tend not to evaluate Alexander the Great in moral terms, because he was a historical figure. Would I want to follow a religion founded by Alexander the Great? Certainly not, and that’s why I don’t follow a religion founded by Muhammad. Which leads to my next point…
Islam does have political implications. For many Muslims, these are not terribly relevant today, or at least no more relevant than “politically Christianity” is to Catholics (ie, most of us do not seek to emulate the days of Papal political control). However, this political element is visible in the earliest days of Islam. I find Christianity to be a far more pure religion simply because Jesus was NOT a general, Jesus was NOT a governor, Jesus was NOT an administrator. Jesus was simply God. Muhammad, on the other hand, was an accomplished man in the ways of the world.
I belief this is an extremely important fact in the defense of the Christian faith; it is a more pure, less worldly, version of Truth.
my question were more towards how you’ve gone about defending those truths during your conversations with muslims, you started talking about it a little bit towards the end regarding modes of revelation between islam and Christianity but I’d like you elaborate more
I hope my above point was helpful, because I simply don’t have time to answer this part right now… maybe later tonight. I would direct you to the thread I linked to above though, for the part about modes of revelation. They are truly different ideas of what revelation is, and often it is simply a good enough start to explain what revelation means to Christians. If a Muslim attempts to look at Christian scripture through his own understanding of “revelation,” said Muslim will find our scripture to be ridiculous, and it’s no wonder that they think our scriptures are corrupt. It certainly helps to explain what we mean by “scripture” and “sacred tradition.”