Issues with Loving my Body

• Thread starter Thread starter Gman1
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel as though, I am almost not worthy. For instance there is a really beautiful girl that I kind of like and she’s an absolutely wonderful Catholic girl(I’ve seen her a few times at mass before) but I almost feel because she is so wonderful that because I may not be “overall physically attractive”, she may deny me or the like. This I think also goes along with my self confidence level.
First, I’d do away with notion that you’re not worthy of a perfect stranger. While some girls are bound to be out of your league, you don’t want to be putting everyone you’re attracted to on a pedestal like that. I would introduce yourself to her, make small talk, get to know her better, but improve yourself physically in the meantime. She may very well find fit men attractive, and that’s perfectly reasonable.

I’ll be honest with you: if you are excessively skinny or short, you will have a hard time attracting most women, and it applies to many Catholic women too. Yes, confidence and charm are important factors as well, but the “You’re fine just the way you are.” line of thought won’t get you far when it comes to dating.

You’re fine just the way you are.” line of thought won’t get you far when it comes to dating.
So we should change ourselves and our natural personalities and body type to please someone else? Certainly we should do away with bad personality traits, habits, or an unhealthy body or lifestyle. But this is ultimately to please God, not just your S.O. But if you are created a certain way and someone can’t get past a trait that is not inherently bad, maybe you just aren’t meant to be…instead of putting on a new mask to please others?

So we should change ourselves and our natural personalities and body type to please someone else?
Sure, why not? If a relationship motivates a person to change for the better (getting in shape, working on fixing negative personality traits), what’s wrong with that?

Point to ponder: Are we judging a body type here, or judging the God Who gave you that body type? Consider the disabled, the wheelchair-bound. You will thank God for the ability to rise and walk at will.

Forget what “others” say. Listen to what God says.

I’d like to share some of my personal experience in hopes that it is an encouragement to you. I married a man who was on the skinnier side, but over twenty years he’s bulked up and has aged like fine wine–I have always been attracted to him, but now…yummy. I love him no matter what, though, and he has done the same with me. Our entire marriage, I’ve had my body ravaged by cancer. I went from athletic and fit to way way overweight to underweight and am cruising at curvy with very little muscle tone and a lot of scars. My husband has never once made me feel bad about my body and chastises me when I lament my lack of appeal. Find yourself a girl like this, and be a man like my husband. Many men often come into their peak appeal in their thirties, forties, and even fifties. My husband is far sexier today at 50 than he was at 30. The attraction was there from the beginning–and that’s critical for romance–but a lot of the attraction was my husband’s grand sense of honour and duty, willingness to be vulnerable with me, utter loyalty and devotion, kindness, sense of humour, love of our children, and strong spiritual leadership. I could praise my husband all day but I’ll leave it at that.

When we met, life had beaten him down and he had low self esteem regarding women, but in short time my respect for and loyalty to him healed many wounds and he stands tall and confident in who God created him to be. He has made me a better person and has taught me to love and respect myself. That lovely Catholic girl you often see? Perhaps after she has a few babies (or a few decades of cancer!) she may be heavier and less firm. Will you still love her, be attracted to her? You seem to me to be the kind of man that will say ‘yes’. Allow yourself the idea that a woman will feel the same about you. Please understand–I’m not saying you have to live up to any certain physical ideal–but BE the right man, be open to the right woman, and know that you are worthy of love and affection NOW, JUST AS YOU ARE. My husband and I had our first date and were engaged within six weeks and married in six months. After our first date, my best friend and I were watching the news and my husband to be appeared on the television (in his law enforcement capacity). My friend said, based on his thinner physique and looks, “you can do better”. I saw something beautiful and masculine in him and dismissed her comment, feeling incensed that she would insult him. He has made my life wonderful for 20+ years and that friend, while an absolute dear, is still single at 50 and has ridiculous standards for a mate. Before my husband, I (briefly) dated a guy (wouldn’t call him a man) who was beautiful, hot, desirable, and was a professional model. He was an absolute jerk–arrogant, only interested in one thing–I couldn’t part ways with him fast enough. Side by side, at least a couple decades ago, any woman would pick Mr Model over Mr Nevermore. But attraction is it’s own animal and Mr Nevermore quickly won my affections. PLEASE know you are worthy JUST AS YOU ARE NOW. Invest in your health–physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually. You have many lives to bless. I wish you all the best. 💜

Keep in mind also that working out, aerobic exercise, and strength building not only have physically visual effects, but it all helps to balance many physiological aspects like hormones and the neuroendocrine system. Your mental health and emotional wellbeing will be vastly better with regular exercise. You’ve got this! You’re absolutely worthy of investing time into your health! Do it for you, not anyone else.

So we should change ourselves and our natural personalities and body type to please someone else?
I said nothing about changing your natural personality. If you’re naturally slothful (which I admittedly am), then certainly it is good to develop a more active lifestyle? Self-improvement shouldn’t be done to “please” others, but done out of love for your (potential) spouse and out of love for God.

There was a time that it was the norm for men and women to do things out of love for one another, including keeping themselves in good physical shape, but I suppose that concept is lost on most today. Today we have a “Take me as I am!” attitude which simply doesn’t work.
But if you are created a certain way and someone can’t get past a trait that is not inherently bad, maybe you just aren’t meant to be…instead of putting on a new mask to please others?
Improving your physical health is hardly a mask. I’d consider it to be progress. Would you call an agnostic who becomes open to faith and develops a prayer routine as “putting on a new mask”? Certainly the secular crowd might see it that way, but Christians would beg to differ.

Would you call an agnostic who becomes open to faith and develops a prayer routine as “putting on a new mask”?
No, I would call it gaining a new heart.

“I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh.” (Ezekiel 36:26)

I agree we should sacrifice ourselves for others, out of love for God and for them. Sorry if my previous post could be misinterpreted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back