E
EasterJoy
Guest
I think it fair to say that American society has become far more permissive of people who are openly self-centered. The fraction of people who act out in anti-social ways is far higher here than in many other regions of the world. The idea of having a conscience is not “learn and impress the moral law to the extent that it guides you when you think your acts will not become known” or “your self-respect requires that you act in a way that deserves respect”, but rather “act according to what your naked uninformed sense of what is best”. That is an open invitation to keep one’s conscience anesthetized and infantile. For instance, people tend to romanticize children as being automatically wonderful and giving human beings. Have these people actually been children? Kids are sometimes wonderfully empathetic and giving, but at other times kids are totally self-centered and selfish, not to mention given to violence when they don’t get their way. Some are in the latter condition essentially all of the time!There seems to be a lot of NPD talk on this board (and my husband meet DSM criteria as well).
Is this a sign of a bigger societal issue??
Teaching morals as a simple matter of “how would that feel if someone did that to you?” has its good points, but it is carte blanche to sociopaths, narcissists, and the merely self-centered, because as long as they get what they want, they don’t care how anybody else feels. A moral atmosphere in which a person actually needs the respect of others to get anywhere makes a much bigger impression on that sort. They are capable of acting in a moral manner, but there has to be a reason other than empathy.
Having said that, if I found myself becoming more and more certain that I had married someone who lacks the capacity for empathy, someone who treats others well only as long as it leads to him getting what he wanted for himself, I think I’d conclude the man was not capable of marriage. I’d be duty-bound to do what I could to prove the contrary, but I fear very much that has to be entertained as a real possibility in the OPs case, as other posters have indicated. There is such a thing as an attempt at marriage that was destined to fail. In a society in which the estimates of the prevelance of people who have an essentially sociopathic operating system are as high as 4%, that’s going to be way too many marriages, but such is the population of these United States, alas.