I've convinced him...now what?

• Thread starter Thread starter Chris_W
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
thomasj317:
My advice is not “try” to do anything other then pray, offer-up rosaries for hios conversion, offer-up mortifications and visit the Blessed Sacrament to ask the Lord to continue to work on his heart. The Holy Spirit is already at work.
I agree with Thomas here. Pray for him, of course. Stay in contact with him, and converse with him. Be prepaired to answer more questions and or objections that will come up. Stumping him on a point or two will probably not be enough to prompt his return to the Catholic Church. Despite all the reasons people give for leaving the Church they aren’t always as clear cut as people like to make them out to be.

Keep up the good work and continue to be by his side when needed.

Dr. Scott Hahn’s “The Lamb’s Supper” series is a great source. This can be either a book, a pack of CD-ROM, or a set of VHS video. I personally benefited from the audio book and I know a good number of people returned to the Catholic church because of this.

Tomorrow, June 12, I will attend a wedding ceremony of a friend, finally, after 16 years, return to the Catholic church. He litterally left the church and married a non-catholic person. She received her baptism last Sunday and there will be a very big and happy celebration later. Guess what moved him? It was Dr. Scott Hahn’s CD-ROM “The Lamb’s Supper; The Mass As Heaven On Earth”!!!

Chris, you might also read the story of Elizabeth Ann Seton, the first American saint - also a convert. She lost much to become Catholic. Her friends abandoned her, and she lost many of the students from her school at the time.

Also, remember Christ’s story of the pearl of great price–the person who sold all he owned to purchase it. And the woman who tore her house apart looking for a lost coin. That is what the kingdom of God is. The Church is the Kingdom of God. If he has found it, and believes it, then he is honor bound to go to it.

Just a thought.
–Ann

40.png
twf:
Does he actually believe that the Catholic Church is the Church established by Christ at this point?
That is a difficult question to answer. I would say no, in the sense that he has never looked at the Catholic Church with an open heart. But I would also say that he at least know that his new found faith is critically flawed, because of the several point we have discussed [Sola Scriptura, Assurance of Salvation, Papacy, Bible versions, good works meritorius]. He knows on these points that he has no answer to the problems posed.

He is, in my opinion, fearful to continue with our dialogue because he may learn even more that the Catholic Church he rejected and now preaches against holds the truth. So I think my task is to present ideas to him that will encourage him to continue in the pursuit for truth.

Thanks again to those who continue to contribute to this thread.

I would absolutely recommend the Alex Jones conversion story, especially since Mr. Jones brought half his congregation with him into the Catholic Church! A fascinating story and, under similar circumstances, one which may be quite relevant to your relative.

Donna.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back