I've never bought a rosary before: have you?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Gripper
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Gripper

Guest
I have quite a lot of rosaries but they were either given to me by my mum, handed to my mum from our old priest and then handed to me (big ones) or gifts from confirmation etc.

I have never bought one but would like a purple one (would be good for Lent). My favourite one was a red one but I lost the Crucifix from it.

How about you?
 
Yes, I bought one from the Vatican Gift shop online, and if requested they will have it blessed by Pope Francis.
 
I’ve bought several, some for myself and some for my kids. My favorite is one with pink and blue beads that reminds me of the pregnancy loss ribbon. I’ve also purchased a couple of rosary bracelets that have a moveable crucifix to help keep track of where I’m at if I’m interrupted.
 
Same, haha. I’ve definitely browsed beautiful rosaries in online shops, but never bought one because I can’t justify it: I’ve received so many rosaries as gifts from people.
 
I have a version of this from Rugged Rosaries. It’s amazing
 
Last edited:
Most of mine were gifts, but I do have two I purchased. One is made from olive wood from the Holy Land and I bought as part of a fund raiser. The other I bought as a souvenir from Ireland and it’s made of Colomara marble.
 
I have bought a couple from Rugged Rosaries, a couple from eBay, and a couple from the Vatican gift shop. I also have a whole bunch I inherited; many of them are broken though as my parents used their rosaries a lot.
 
I’ve purchased many Rosaries. While I was in Italy & France I purchased several at the many basilicas and Cathedrals I visited. Most of them were blessed by Pope Francis. I’ve purchased Rosaries from the Vatican gift shop both while I was there and online. When I would sponsor someone in RCIA I would always by them a nice Rosary for the Vatican gift shop.
 
Honestly, I’ve never bought one before either. I have made my own though. It’s fun!!! 🙂 I even asked a priest to bless it for me. If you’re crafty, this might be a cheap, fun alternative that saves money. 🙂
 
I bought one from Our Lady of the Valley monastery back when they still sold rosaries. All others are either gifts or ones I made myself.
 
I have many rosaries, all but one were given to me. I bought one Connemara marble rosary that has rounded beads. It is heavy and there is something very nice about how the beads feel. I also have the old fashioned square Connemara beads, and a rosary bracelet of the same marble.
(Green is my favorite color. 😉)
 
Good point! Most of mine were given to me, given to my kids, were my grandmothers before she passed…

But I did buy one. At the Vatican gift shop.

I bought one when I visited the Vatican in Rome in 06’. (Actually I bought 5… one for myself, each of my children and my best friend.)
 
Why don’t you remove the crucifix from one of your least favourite rosaries and put it on the one you lost it from. The D rings ( I think they are called) are easy enough to open with a set of pliers. You can also buy “findings” crucifix and centres on line. Check out “The Rosary Shop” which has a wonderful web page and is in the USA.
 
When I was a dumb newbie Catholic in RCIA I bought two nice rosaries at around 35 dollars a piece. Then I ended up taking a tool kit and pried one of them apart in order to get the Our Father beads and then replaced them onto the other rosary because I liked how it looked. It’s made out of colored glass beads with copper metal and a big copper crucifix with the Sacred Heart. Turns out it’s a bit unwieldy to carry around in a pocket.

And now, if I ever use a physical rosary at all, it’s a wooden Our Lady of Guadalupe rosary that I got for 3 bucks at a used vendor.

I also have free ones but those legitimately fall apart.

lol
 
Last edited:
I am particular about the Rosary…I absolutely love praying the Rosary…however, I love the old…the vintage…the antique…I can’t believe some are still available because one usually is buried with its owner. Yes, a Rosary is very sacred to me…I pray it daily…it brings unbelievable Peace in my life. I have three…one has red crystal red cut glass beads with a sterling center and crucifix, one is brass with different colored glass beads, and the last one I bought is very, very old…the metal is not marked but looks like silver, on the back of the crucifix is the phrase “I am a Catholic in case of an accident notify a Priest”, the center is “Our Lady of Consolation”…the connecting chain is the twisted tri-lobe chain type. The beads appear to be either black wood, but don’t know what kind…the chain is heavy and the beads are light…I pray on this one cause is feels so good in my fingers…all have been blessed…the two cost $100 each and the last one…$40, but to me…they are “priceless”! :heavy_heart_exclamation: 🙏
 
The rosary is the weapon of choice for those who battle against the ways of the world.
 
Multiple rosaries because I break stuff, and lost a few.

Last 1 I bought was a gun metal one from:

www.romancatholicgear.com ,

I was linked to it from US Grace Force’s site,


which i very much recommend.

The combat rosary comes in a small replica of an ammo can, has a leather pouch with a main and small secondary zippered pockets. I’ve had this one the longest without breakage or loss. When not in use it resides in a front trouser pocket.
 
I have bought a few rosaries. The first one I bought was on a whim in Mexico- even though I had never prayed the rosary before. It stayed in my bedside table for years before I actually used it. I have prayer ropes- of course- but they’re easy to lose (and I have given a few away) and I prefer beads- so I bought an olive wood Jerusalem rosary on which to pray the Jesus Prayer. I then bought a rosary from the Vatican Gift shop over a year ago and went ahead and had it blessed by Pope Francis. I also bought one of those combat rosaries from Rugged Rosaries- but felt compelled to give it away.

I’ve also had free rosaries come into my possession. One was a Lourdes rosary, one a Fatima rosary, and some were just cheap plastic ones. I’ve given all of them away except for the Lourdes one. I’ve made a few rosaries too and have given them away. I figure that rosaries are meant to be used- so I shouldn’t hold on to all of them.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top