JAWS! Jesus Ate With Sinners

• Thread starter Thread starter 27lw
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
It depends on what “JAWS” is intended to prove. If the person is using it in response to the idea that we have to shun sinners and refuse to engage with anyone who disagrees with us, then “JAWS” is a pretty good rebuttal.
Sometimes there is a good reason for avoiding certain people in some situations, but if someone is really advocating for something so extreme there are betters ways to answer it then an abused cliche.

Last edited:
The real question in my mind is, why do grown adults need to take a poll of Internet strangers in order to decide whether to go to a wedding or not.

There are many decisions I am able to make just fine in my own life without having to ask a committee. If I somehow got it wrong, then God will take it up with me I guess, but I thought the whole point of being an adult was being able to make and own one’s own decisions.

The real question in my mind is, why do grown adults need to take a poll of Internet strangers in order to decide whether to go to a wedding or not.

There are many decisions I am able to make just fine in my own life without having to ask a committee. If I somehow got it wrong, then God will take it up with me I guess, but I thought the whole point of being an adult was being able to make and own one’s own decisions.
Exactly. At some point you need to kind of develop your own moral compass and intuition and not seek internet affirmation for every situation.

You know, for some people, these decisions seem like they should be relatively easy to navigate, however, sometimes there’s a tangled web of relationships, friendships, even work relationships that might be damaged in some way if one takes a stand about not going to one’s ex-step-mother’s lesbian wedding, or whatever.
I think sometimes people are looking for validation of “is this reasonable, or am I being too hard?” Don’t know if it’s successful to ask in CAF, or not.
Also, what brought up this whole point in my mind, was a discussion about a candidate, and whether he said something. It’s just that the JAWS statement seems so glib, and like it’s trying to shut down discussion. Which is why we’re here, right, to discuss to our heart’s content? ❤️

Last edited:
You can discuss all you want, but if someone else wants to say JAWS and refuse to discuss further with you, that’s their prerogative.

I’m not Christ and cannot see into anyone’s heart, sometimes not even my own, so I will leave the rebuking alon
I agree we can not see into anyone’s heart and judge the person for the sin they commit. That is left for God alone, though based on the Church and the Word of God we can know if an action someone does is a sin or not.

we can know if an action someone does is a sin or not.
We can know if an action is wrong by our standards, and can “call out” the action depending on the severity. That is not the same as it being a sin, or having any idea of the person’s actual culpability if it is.

I would just like to remind posters that admonishing sinners is just 1 of the 14 works of mercy (corporal and spiritual) and that there are 13 other great ones that they could try to practice as well 🙂

I think He came to them to show them (sinners) what real love was. He came to them so they could encounter the living God. He came to them so they could experience the Mercy that God offers in real life. Once these people encountered the living God and the love that Christ had for them… “going and sinning no more” was much more possible than before. Before that… most people probably weren’t showing them real love.

So yes of course He said go and sin no more and he called them to repentance… but it was not until after they had a meeting with LOVE Himself.

I’m all for admonishing sinners. But in my experience those who preach and rail about admonishing the sins of everyone else pay no attention to their own sins. Oh sure, they’ll give lip service and say “I’m a sinner too” But in reality, when you spend 99% of your time lecturing others it’s very hard to look inward.

Oh I’m not disagreeing with you on that one at all and I also agree that often the ones who are most vocal about the sins of others spend very little time being vocal about their own.

“True charity consists in putting up with all one’s neighbors fault’s; never being surprised by his weakness, and being inspired by the least of his virtues” - St Therese of Liseux

We can know if an action is wrong by our standards,
Not by our standards, by the Word of God and the Church, which tell us if something is wrong or not.

I may not know what caused someone to steal but I know because of God’s Revelation that stealing is a sin against the Ten Commandments.

In this forum people come here to anonymously discuss but in reality, in real day to day living, very few people actually admonish the sinner. We have become too quiet regarding sin in our culture.

Last edited:
Oh I’m not disagreeing with you on that one at all and I also agree that often the ones who are most vocal about the sins of others spend very little time being vocal about their own.

“True charity consists in putting up with all one’s neighbors fault’s; never being surprised by his weakness, and being inspired by the least of his virtues” - St Therese of Liseux
Well said.

Not by our standards, by the Word of God and the Church,
Which are the standards we use, aka “our standards”. Granted it is not entirely 100% correct on a certain level, but it is a useful shorthand. Of course the fact that others do not follow or even sometimes recognize them as standards can cause other issues, especially when we go around rebuking people who really don’t care what we think or believe.

I would just like to remind posters that admonishing sinners is just 1 of the 14 works of mercy (corporal and spiritual) and that there are 13 other great ones that they could try to practice as well 🙂
Yes, as other posters have noted, admonishing sinners is everybody’s favorite pastime though 🙂

The Pharisees enjoyed it, the Apostles enjoyed it…

as other posters have noted, admonishing sinners is everybody’s favorite pastime
Here at CAF it is usually gossip since admonishing the sinner is going to the sinner and many here at CAF are guilty of “admonishing” sinners or rather gossiping.
Very few of us here have stones to throw in that area. It just depends on what aisle of “admonishing” one is on here if they agree with it or not.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back