JEPD theory

  • Thread starter Thread starter didymus
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, we have eternal writings that show that King David existed and others.

But, regarding the separate JEPD traditions, one must consider that this theory assumes the Old Testament was first compiled during the time of Ezra (6th century BC). This would mean that the 10 northern tribes would have been dispersed for 3 centuries throughout the old Assyrian empire. One of those oral traditions, or even a bit of one of those oral traditions should have surfaced between then and now.

But what everyone has to admit, even those who hold to the JEPD separate traditions, is that there is no proof that this is so.

… and yet, I find it odd that someone who doubts the Exodus story by saying there is no proof, accepts the JEPD theory which is absolutely no proof.

Interesting.
I don’t really accept the JEPD theory. I think that there were different sources that went into the pentateuch. I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a lot more than just 4 and I don’t buy into the ridiculous theory that every little passage can be broken down (with some verses coming from two different sources even). It seems most logical to me that there were different sources, but I doubt it is the four that are proposed in JEPD.
 
The best bet is that Moses was born in the late circa 1435-ish (BC). David’s reign was around 1000 BC.
I have heard a few things about David’s reign…apparently a lot of those places that the Israelites supposedly took over were never destroyed according to archaeological evidence, or there was no evidence of forceful takeover. Also, some of these places looked as though they were just abandoned for no apparent reason. It seems reasonable to assume that David did exist (and had a decent kingdom) with the outside sources speaking of him, but it is likely his story was a bit exaggerated.

But, I would like to note, everything I say in this thread is only things that I have heard from other scholars…I have yet to do any actual research on any of this stuff myself.
 
I have heard a few things about David’s reign…apparently a lot of those places that the Israelites supposedly took over were never destroyed according to archaeological evidence, or there was no evidence of forceful takeover. Also, some of these places looked as though they were just abandoned for no apparent reason. It seems reasonable to assume that David did exist (and had a decent kingdom) with the outside sources speaking of him, but it is likely his story was a bit exaggerated.

But, I would like to note, everything I say in this thread is only things that I have heard from other scholars…I have yet to do any actual research on any of this stuff myself.
In other words, you take these people at their word, without corroborating evidence. The only difference between us is that we choose to believe God, and not man.
 
In other words, you take these people at their word, without corroborating evidence. The only difference between us is that we choose to believe God, and not man.
Your evidence is from scholars too. I am pretty sure that the archaeological evidence is well established (that some of the towns that were destroyed were not in fact destroyed). I know there is no archaeological evidence (that we have found yet) of the exodus.

How many dig sites have you been to in the near east?
 
I have heard a few things about David’s reign…apparently a lot of those places that the Israelites supposedly took over were never destroyed according to archaeological evidence, or there was no evidence of forceful takeover. Also, some of these places looked as though they were just abandoned for no apparent reason. It seems reasonable to assume that David did exist (and had a decent kingdom) with the outside sources speaking of him, but it is likely his story was a bit exaggerated.
I’m not aware that David really “destroyed” any towns or cities other than Jerusalem itself. I know that would be hard to verify, other than the fact that we know the Israelites occupied Jerusalem. The original Temple, which is well documented, is proof enough.
But, I would like to note, everything I say in this thread is only things that I have heard from other scholars…I have yet to do any actual research on any of this stuff myself.
No problem. You have the right to believe what you wish to believe, and I don’t recall you claiming that anything you say is other than your opinion.

The thought police haven’t taken over… yet. 😉
 
Your evidence is from scholars too. I am pretty sure that the archaeological evidence is well established (that some of the towns that were destroyed were not in fact destroyed). I know there is no archaeological evidence (that we have found yet) of the exodus.

How many dig sites have you been to in the near east?
Zero. I do not need my faith to be verified by empirical evidence.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top