Judge Says Calif. Can't Ban Gay Marriage

• Thread starter Thread starter mommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mommy

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - A judge ruled Monday that California’s ban on gay marriage is unconstitutional, saying the state could no longer justify limiting marriage to a man and a woman.

For Full Story

40.png
fix:
San Francisco? Are there any normal people left there?
Hey, it’s one state judge, and on a lower level. It’ll be appealed.

40.png
fix:
San Francisco? Are there any normal people left there?
Another anti-Christian secular judge imposing his views over the majority. You would figure high-ranking judges would have learned the most basic principles of law - one of them being that judges interpret. Nowhere in the constitution does is say that marriage should be changed. Lord have mercy.

40.png
Brad:
You would figure high-ranking judges would have learned the most basic principles of law - one of them being that judges interpret.
He isn’t a high-ranking judge. Also, he was indeed interpreting. Interpreting wrongly IMO, but interpreting nonetheless.
Nowhere in the constitution does is say that marriage should be changed. Lord have mercy.
Actually, nowhere in the Constitution is marriage even mentioned.

From sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/archive/2005/03/14/samesexruling14.TMP:
In his 27-page decision, Kramer - an appointee of former Gov. Pete Wilson, a Republican - said the state’s ban on same-sex marriage violates “the basic human right to marry the person of one’s choice,” and has no rational justification.
Isn’t it Lisa N. that points out that this kind of thinking means that she should be able to marry her infant nephew? There is not a basic human right to marry anyone you choose. There are certain limits set by society and religion, and they are completely rational. If you allow same-sex marriage, you have to allow many other perversions at the same time.

40.png
Almeria:
There is not a basic human right to marry anyone you choose.
Marriage itself, however, is considered a basic human right.
There are certain limits set by society and religion, and they are completely rational.
Limits set by a religion are only enforceable in that religion. The state, for example, doesn’t have to consider marriage indissolvable just because Catholics believe that it is.
If you allow same-sex marriage, you have to allow many other perversions at the same time.
That’s something I haven’t heard. What perversions must one allow?

Is there not a distinction between rights, and priviledges granted by the state such as drivers and marriage licenses.

40.png
Richardols:
He isn’t a high-ranking judge. Also, he was indeed interpreting. Interpreting wrongly IMO, but interpreting nonetheless.

Actually, nowhere in the Constitution is marriage even mentioned.
Exactly. There’s no “constitutional right” to marriage.

40.png
philipmarus:
Is there not a distinction between rights, and priviledges granted by the state such as drivers and marriage licenses.
Yes. But, marriage is considered a right, not a state granted privilege.

40.png
Richardols:
Yes. But, marriage is considered a right, not a state granted privilege.
Please link to the legal document declaring marriage as a “right”. I’m not saying that you are wrong, I just don’t know that I’ve ever heard that before…

40.png
Corinne:
Please link to the legal document declaring marriage as a “right”. I’m not saying that you are wrong, I just don’t know that I’ve ever heard that before…
Glad to oblige. U.S. Supreme Court Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967)

The Court held that the State of Virginia’s statutory scheme to prevent marriages betwen persons on the basis of racial classifications violated the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the 14th Amendment.

“The freedom to marry is one of the basic civil rights of man, fundamental to our very existence and survival.”

“It is one of the vital personal rights essential to the orderly pursuit of happiness by free men.”

As far as the Supremes are concerned, MARRIAGE IS A BASIC CIVIL RIGHT.

40.png
gilliam:
Then they must have defined what marriage is, right?
I’m not sure if they did. I’ll have to re-read the entire decision if they included any definition…

40.png
Richardols:
I’m not sure if they did. I’ll have to re-read the entire decision if they included any definition…
Why, heck, you can’t tell people they have a right if you don’t define what the meaning of the word is, can ya? 😉

Can someone tell me what “rights” regarding marriage gays do not share with heteros?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back