Judge Says Calif. Can't Ban Gay Marriage

• Thread starter Thread starter mommy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Richardols:
My subjective vision has nothing to do with how things are defined. Those definitions I gave you, or variants of them, are standard. Go fight with doctors the courts, or lexicographers if you don’t like the definitions.
Look I am not interested in fighting with you or anyone. The entire point of this splinter of this thread is to point out that those who have SSA are NOT banned from marriage. They are not discriminated against because they are eligible to marry the same candidates as anyone else.

My point is that even if someone has SSA it does not require them to act upon it or demand that the entire definition of marriage be changed to suit their possibly transitory sexual proclivities. Should we have a special category of marriage for people who engage in auto erotic axphyxia? How about necrophelia? It makes about as much sense as saying two men should marry. I do not believe a person is identified by what they are currently doing with their genitals nor do I think we have to change all of society to accommodate them.

Lisa N

40.png
Richardols:
Okay. How would you change those definitions?
By participating in democracy and pariticipating in the renewal of the face of the earth. By putting our faith into action so that our laws reflect our Christian beliefs. By not giving any of our dollars to cultural institutions that are contrary to the God of all people. By feeding the poor, visiting the sick, and helping the needy. When Christians demand a Christian life for their family, stop compromising, and are willing to put some muscle behind their pure desires, society changes. When society changes, definitions change. New words are added and definitions are changed in the dictionary every year as society establishes them.

40.png
Brad:
By participating in democracy and pariticipating in the renewal of the face of the earth. By putting our faith into action so that our laws reflect our Christian beliefs. By not giving any of our dollars to cultural institutions that are contrary to the God of all people. By feeding the poor, visiting the sick, and helping the needy. When Christians demand a Christian life for their family, stop compromising, and are willing to put some muscle behind their pure desires, society changes. When society changes, definitions change. New words are added and definitions are changed in the dictionary every year as society establishes them.
I think lexicographers will tell you that it’s quite a bit more simple than that. 🙂

40.png
Richardols:
I think lexicographers will tell you that it’s quite a bit more simple than that. 🙂
As Chesteron said (paraphrasing), names can be worse than sticks and stones. The case of homosexual labeling applies. Labeling someone as homosexual does damage to their mental view of themselves.

40.png
Brad:
The case of homosexual labeling applies. Labeling someone as homosexual does damage to their mental view of themselves.
In some cases, I’m sure you’re right. But, most homosexuals do accept the term.

I agree that labeling people can do damage to their mental view of themselves, and that applies to more than homosexuality.

40.png
Richardols:
In some cases, I’m sure you’re right. But, most homosexuals do accept the term.

I agree that labeling people can do damage to their mental view of themselves, and that applies to more than homosexuality.
Accepting the term is part of the problem.

Labeling is a big problem in society and it involve all areas of life. We need to see people as who they are - made in the image and likeness of God - not as just some personified ideology.

There is a caution here however. Using modern-understood terminology to describe a type of thinking is not the same thing as labeling. What I am against is the kind of personal labeling that does not consider a person’s value outside of his/her beliefs in a particular area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back