Just curious--do you catholics sign yourself if in a protestant church during prayer?

• Thread starter Thread starter sparkle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sparkle

Just Curious:

Do you Catholics do the sign of the cross during prayer if you’re at a Protestant Church? I really would like to know what I should do when I’m at my husband’s Protestant Church. What would you all do? Also if you say the prayer at meals and you’re the only Catholic present. Would you say “in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen”?..

40.png
sparkle:
Just Curious:

Do you Catholics do the sign of the cross during prayer if you’re at a Protestant Church? I really would like to know what I should do when I’m at my husband’s Protestant Church. What would you all do? Also if you say the prayer at meals and you’re the only Catholic present. Would you say “in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen”?..
Actually when we enter a Catholic Church we sign ourselves with the holy water and when we genuflect toward the Blessed Sacrament to name a few times…since Protestant Churches don’t have holy water and don’t have the Real Presence of Jesus…when would you sign yourself except maybe at The Lord’s Prayer ?:confused:
As far as signing and invoking the Trinity before meals…ALWAYS! No matter who is present…you be the example! :twocents:
Annunciata:)

Signing, or making the sign of the Cross is a public recognition of the Blessed Trinity.

Why should it be “reserved” for in Church.

Catholics make the sign of the Cross, before and after most prayers, and sometimes even when driving past a Church (Catholic that is)

Do you Catholics do the sign of the cross during prayer if you’re at a Protestant Church? I really would like to know what I should do when I’m at my husband’s Protestant Church. What would you all do?
I would stand and sit when they do. I would join in the Our Father or in the Creed if they are said. I would not receive an anointing or allow anyone lay hands on me in prayer or partake in their version of the Lord’s Supper; this is actually forbidden to us. I would not genuflect as there is nothing to genuflect to. I would not make the sign of the cross, because it is not the custom in a Protestant Church and why scandalize them? It is a matter of remaining respectful on foreign territory. I mean… if you don’t like the way they do things you are free to stay away. When you accompany your husband to his church, you are going for his sake and not for your own benefit.
Also if you say the prayer at meals and you’re the only Catholic present. Would you say “in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen”?..
I always make the sign of the cross with my prayer before a meal; it makes no difference where I am. I make the sign of the cross even if I am the only one praying at the table. (in silence)

I hope this helps.🙂

No it would be disrespectful. When I am in a protestant church as an invitee or at a protestant wedding, I do my best not so show disrespect.

We make the sign of the cross at the Holy Mass. If a protestant denomination also did so, and I was invited I would too.

Doing so to punctuate a prayer in a Protestant house of worship only calls attention to yourself.

That is selfish and disrespectful. It is their church and their service.

40.png
sparkle:
Just Curious:

No, because I don’t go to Protestant churches.

I probably would not make the sign of the cross, unless I accidently did so.

I have a funny story to tell though. A few months ago I attended a wedding. The bride’s family was almost entirely Catholic; the groom’s family almost entirely Presbyterian. I had connections with the bride’s family, and so I sat with all the other Catholics on one side of the Presbyterian church where this wedding was held. The other side was filled with the groom’s presbyterian family and friends.

Well, at one point in the service, the minister mentioned “In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.” Immediately as he said this, all the Catholics on my side made the sign of the cross, whereas everyone on the other side of the church stood rock still. It was pretty funny. :yup:

that IS funny. good story.

it was posted: ‘When you accompany your husband to his church, you are going for his sake and not for your own benefit.’ i would disagree here. there is much that we can learn from our separated brothers, the protestants. while i am a convert, and so see the RCC as having ‘the fullness of truth’, i know from experience that there is much that can be gained in Bible knowledge, spiritual discernment, zeal (especially zeal!), prayer, and evangelism from protestants.

i tell my catholic friends whenever i go to a protestant church that i’m going for a ‘pep talk’, cuz they always cheer you up and make you excited. sometimes it’s groundless, but it’s always exciting. 🙂

i would counsel not making the sign of the cross where you think it would unnecessarily divide. i think the kind and charitable thing, in most circumstances involving more than one religious tradition, is to find ‘common ground’ from which to start.

praying a rosary in a protestant church would be an example of being unnecessarily divisive. reading the Bible in a protestant church would be finding common ground. but what translation??? 🙂

during meals, i usually pray to myself, in my head. it’s too easy for me to WANT to draw attention to myself for my ‘piety’, so i intentionally mortify that by praying internally.

others may have a fear of publicly demonstrating their faith. for them, it might be GOOD to pray in a way that others can see, to overcome that fear.

i don’t think there’s a catch all for this sort of thing. just try to be sensitive to others feelings and beliefs, and try to do what you think will love them in a way they can understand.

God bless.

it was posted: ‘When you accompany your husband to his church, you are going for his sake and not for your own benefit.’ i would disagree here. there is much that we can learn from our separated brothers, the protestants.
Only because you are a convert and haven’t shed all your leopard spots or whatever, I can’t think of a better analogy. It’s late.🙂
i tell my catholic friends whenever i go to a protestant church that i’m going for a ‘pep talk’, cuz they always cheer you up and make you excited. sometimes it’s groundless, but it’s always exciting.
As I said earlier… Whatever would take you over there when we have the mass is beyond my understanding! How would it even compare let alone be preferred… is kind of telling.
during meals, i usually pray to myself, in my head. it’s too easy for me to WANT to draw attention to myself for my ‘piety’, so i intentionally mortify that by praying internally.

others may have a fear of publicly demonstrating their faith. for them, it might be GOOD to pray in a way that others can see, to overcome that fear.
Or it has become so much a part of your mealtime; you would do it without giving thought to other people. I went to a show recently with a friend. There was a mass scene and when the “priest” said “the Lord be with you” I responded with a loud “and also with you”. I didn’t even realized what had happened, not even when people laughed or when my friend nudged me and said “don’t do that again” I still didn’t get it until much later.😃

I agree with those who would not “act Catholic” when in a Protestant church. This is clearly in line with Paul’s strategy. He became like those he was around, to win them.

To wear a sign “I AM A CATHOLIC” in their church, other than being disrespectful and possibly prideful, might make them pity me and give them the false hope that they can “fix” me.

Alan

I think it’s whatever you’re comfortable with. If you feel okay making the sign of the cross at your husband’s church, then do so. If not, then don’t.

Personally, I do make the sign of the cross when I’m praying-no matter where I am. Partly because it’s habit. Also, because I am proud of the fact that I’m Catholic. Not in an arrogant way, though. I hope that makes sense. I love being Catholic and being part of the Catholic faith. For me, it would feel like I was trying to hide my faith and “fit-in” where I was. I would find that more disrespectful to the Church than to those around me who may not be Catholic.
Scout :tiphat:

I undertand both sides, but I cross myself when I am in this situation. It is possible to do so without being obnoxious. I respect that fact that you are supporting your spouse even though you are Catholic. That is the only message sent.

40.png
sparkle:
Just Curious:

I try to always make the sign of the cross when praying…no matter who’s there or where I am. Even in the midst of people who do not believe in the Trinity. However, I do not usually say the words outloud.

40.png
Madaglan:
I probably would not make the sign of the cross, unless I accidently did so.

I have a funny story to tell though. A few months ago I attended a wedding. The bride’s family was almost entirely Catholic; the groom’s family almost entirely Presbyterian. I had connections with the bride’s family, and so I sat with all the other Catholics on one side of the Presbyterian church where this wedding was held. The other side was filled with the groom’s presbyterian family and friends.

Well, at one point in the service, the minister mentioned “In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit.” Immediately as he said this, all the Catholics on my side made the sign of the cross, whereas everyone on the other side of the church stood rock still. It was pretty funny. :yup:
My devoutly Baptist grandparent’s farm was near a little predominately Catholic area (in Northeast Texas if you can imagine). The social center of the area was Saint Martin’s Church. My grandparents were often invited to the fish fries that took place on the parish grounds. I went with them when I was about 3-4 years old. When the priest stood and began the blessing, all those good old Catholic farmers made the Sign of the Cross. I thought we were all supposed to do it, so I started to do the same! My sweet grandmother caught my hand, and shook her head discretely. 23 years latter, when I converted, she didn’t give me even the slightest grief, may she rest in everlasting peace.

This could be an interesting thread. But the one who started this thread, in my opinion, is lacking in Catholic “culture”.
  1. In Texas we don’t “sign” ourselves, we “bless” ourselves. And that is making the sign of the cross. A Mom would say to her children,“Bless yourself”.
  2. The occasion should not come up. Why in the world would a Catholic go to a Protestant service? As a boy, our Priests were adamant in Not Attending a Protestant Church. If you do attend a Protestant service and take part in it, such as prayer, you are telling everyone that the Protestant service is valid. You are almost commiting treason (if we can use that word). I hope no one thinks that going to a Protestant Church makes up for goin to Mass on Sunday. It doesn’t.
    3.It was asked if we Bless ourselves outside of Church. I’d say that you should avoid places where you’d feel uncomfortable.

40.png
Exporter:
. Why in the world would a Catholic go to a Protestant service? QUOTE]

As a gesture of love towards our Protestant family members, some of whom are devout and faithful Christians of great conviction? And of course, I’m sure everyone would meet their Mass obligation.

40.png
JKirkLVNV:
40.png
Exporter:
. Why in the world would a Catholic go to a Protestant service? QUOTE]

As a gesture of love towards our Protestant family members, some of whom are devout and faithful Christians of great conviction? And of course, I’m sure everyone would meet their Mass obligation.
Father forgive them for they know not what they do[say]. :eek:

40.png
tru_dvotion:
What would take you over there when we have the mass is beyond my understanding! How would it even compare let alone be preferred… is kind of telling.
What “takes me over there” friend is the fact that I am a convert–yes, but that my husband and kids still attend a Protestant Church. I go to Mass at 9:30 a.m. and then meet them there at their Church for the 11:00 a.m. service. I feel it is important, vital almost, to worship together as a family. Is there something wrong with this in your view?

Blessings~~

40.png
sparkle:
40.png
tru_dvotion:
What would take you over there when we have the mass is beyond my understanding! How would it even compare let alone be preferred… is kind of telling.
What “takes me over there” friend is the fact that I am a convert–yes, but that my husband and kids still attend a Protestant Church. I go to Mass at 9:30 a.m. and then meet them there at their Church for the 11:00 a.m. service. I feel it is important, vital almost, to worship together as a family. Is there something wrong with this in your view?

Blessings~~
:hmmm: I see your position …because I am a convert also and my husband isn’t catholic…but I do want to ask why convert if …you feel so strong that you should all go together to church.
I have attended my husbands church but don’t go any more…they are nice people but as I see it why settle for less than what I have at Mass.
Anyway I know it is not easy in many ways…So I say God Bless and hope things work out that your family comes into the church also.
🙂

40.png
sparkle:
40.png
tru_dvotion:

Blessings~~
Sparky , I bet sometimes you feel like taffy,being pulled this way or that way. My wife and I have gone through this experience. Ill tell you this. You and your husband are one. God is going to unify you.Whether it be at his church or your church. Only God has the answer for you. 😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back