Just curious--do you catholics sign yourself if in a protestant church during prayer?

• Thread starter Thread starter sparkle
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
sparkle:
What “takes me over there” friend is the fact that I am a convert–yes, but that my husband and kids still attend a Protestant Church. I go to Mass at 9:30 a.m. and then meet them there at their Church for the 11:00 a.m. service. I feel it is important, vital almost, to worship together as a family. Is there something wrong with this in your view?

Blessings~~
Dear Sparkle,
I just converted myself, and my husband and children still attend the Protestant church I was a member of before I converted. In fact, both my husband and I were on staff at the church-and my husband is still the worship minister there.

I can appreciate where you’re coming from. I am often saddened by the fact that my husband and I don’t worship together anymore. We were able to reach a compromise with the children, though. They go to church with their father, but will attend Catholic Schools growing up (there’s only one in school right now, the other two are still too young for school).

I think it’s very amiable that you want to worship with your husband. Some spouses might not care at all, so I think it shows that you have a great heart to want to worship with your husband. You’re not missing Mass to do so, so I think it’s showing your willingness to bring about some unity within the family.

I have a question, though. Does your parish, or any in your area, offer a Saturday evening Mass? Perhaps, since you’re still willing to go to your husband’s protestant service, he might be willing to go to your Catholic Mass once in a while. Would this be an option for you?

Scout :tiphat:

40.png
George2:
No it would be disrespectful. When I am in a protestant church as an invitee or at a protestant wedding, I do my best not so show disrespect.

We make the sign of the cross at the Holy Mass. If a protestant denomination also did so, and I was invited I would too.

Doing so to punctuate a prayer in a Protestant house of worship only calls attention to yourself.

That is selfish and disrespectful. It is their church and their service.
It isn’t selfish or disrespectful. Protestants believe in the cross, so why should anyone be offend by seeing someone cross themselves. Do Catholics get offended when protestants DONT cross themselves at Mass? Probably not. And the only person who maybe would get offended is an out-spoken anti-catholic, and who cares if they are offended? I personally won’t change my form of worship to be politically correct for the occation.

40.png
StephiePea:
It isn’t selfish or disrespectful. Protestants believe in the cross, so why should anyone be offend by seeing someone cross themselves. Do Catholics get offended when protestants DONT cross themselves at Mass? Probably not. And the only person who maybe would get offended is an out-spoken anti-catholic, and who cares if they are offended? I personally won’t change my form of worship to be politically correct for the occation.
:amen: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I always make the sign of the Trinity prior to any prayer, no matter where I am or who I am with. I also make the sign of the Trinity when I pass an ambulance, car wreck, or Catholic Church.

40.png
Scout:
I think it’s whatever you’re comfortable with. If you feel okay making the sign of the cross at your husband’s church, then do so. If not, then don’t.

Personally, I do make the sign of the cross when I’m praying-no matter where I am. Partly because it’s habit. Also, because I am proud of the fact that I’m Catholic.*** Not in an arrogant way, though. I hope that makes sense. ***I love being Catholic and being part of the Catholic faith. For me, it would feel like I was trying to hide my faith and “fit-in” where I was. I would find that more disrespectful to the Church than to those around me who may not be Catholic.
Scout :tiphat:
Perfect sense. It’s a part of our Catholic culture and so should be rejoiced in.

40.png
dumspirospero:
I always make the sign of the Trinity prior to any prayer, no matter where I am or who I am with. I also make the sign of the Trinity when I pass an ambulance, car wreck, or Catholic Church.
Me too, and cemetarys (sp?).

Yes, I always do – without hesitation. My family is made up of cradle Protestants and lapsed Catholics. I’m the only Catholic in my family. Sometimes I have gone to Protestant services with my family, and while there, I make it a point to make the Sign of the Cross. Let there be no doubt as to who I am and what I represent. I never know if someone may notice and may have questions. If they do, then that’s then my chance for further witnessing about the one true faith. I never, never, never, under any circumstances let my Incarnational Catholic faith along with its attendant rituals hide under a bushel.

40.png
cecelia:
Yes, I always do – without hesitation. My family is made up of cradle Protestants and lapsed Catholics. I’m the only Catholic in my family. Sometimes I have gone to Protestant services with my family, and while there, I make it a point to make the Sign of the Cross. Let there be no doubt as to who I am and what I represent. I never know if someone may notice and may have questions. If they do, then that’s then my chance for further witnessing about the one true faith. I never, never, never, under any circumstances let my Incarnational Catholic faith along with its attendant rituals hide under a bushel.
AMEN! 👍

I have “made the mistake” of genuflecting and making the sign of the cross in non-catholic churches and have gotten “the look” from those that do not know me. My friends that are not Catholic just smile knowing I will never be changed. I don’t know if anyone else carries this old practice on…but I still bow my head at the name of Jesus…now that gets a second glance from even my fellow Catholics.

I’d like to ask if anyone thinks we should return to some of the old practices?http://forums.catholic-questions.org/images/icons/icon3.gif

No it is disrespectul.

If you invited a pentecostalist friend who handles snakes in their services to a Catholic wedding would you expect to see a bag with an eastern diamondback rattler under the kneeler?

There is no need to bless yourself and call attention to yourself. After the service someone might ask you what church you attend and that will be your opening.

I think some bless themselves to antagonize protestants.

You get more flies with honey than vinegar.

40.png
Scout:
Does your parish, or any in your area, offer a Saturday evening Mass? Perhaps, since you’re still willing to go to your husband’s protestant service, he might be willing to go to your Catholic Mass once in a while. Would this be an option for you?

Yep! I’ve gone a couple times on a Saturday evening–and hubby and kids go periodically with me to Mass–and they will continue to do so too, which I’m very excited about! Hubby said though last time they went with me: “I think the Catholic Church is boring and I get nothing out of it”…this is where Protestants come from as you well know–it’s all about what they “get out of it” and being entertained and the feel good syndrome!!! Once they understand getting Jesus out of it is enough–AND being in the True Church–maybe Protestants will think differently. As a friend said: “What difference does it make what Church a person goes to-as long as they are worshipping”…maybe it doesn’t matter for her–but it certainly does for me. That’s why I’m converting!!!So, I plan to go to Mass EVERY Sunday (I’m in RCIA now)------and some Sundays family will go with me–some not–and if I feel like it I’ll go with hubby to his Church (where we all worshipped together for 6 years) on the way home from Mass–just to worship together as a family. So—sounds sort of confusing–but it will work out.

You can’t ignore the calling of God --can you?

I pray daily for the conversion of my husband and kids --but also know it’s all in the Lord’s timing.

P.S. It’s not that I WANT to go to the Protestant Church with my husband, but like to be together.

God Bless You Scout~~ You’re brave to convert too. Tell me your story sometime!!! Is your hubby at all open to the RCC?

40.png
sparkle:
Just Curious:

Do you Catholics do the sign of the cross during prayer if you’re at a Protestant Church? I really would like to know what I should do when I’m at my husband’s Protestant Church. What would you all do? Also if you say the prayer at meals and you’re the only Catholic present. Would you say “in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, Amen”?..
Yes.

Yes. I do. I try not to visit protestant churches but on occasions where I may have been to a funeral etc I will sign myself where I feel necessary. I will do it discreetly but without shame. Then I will try and conver them all 😃

40.png
George2:
No it is disrespectul.

If you invited a pentecostalist friend who handles snakes in their services to a Catholic wedding would you expect to see a bag with an eastern diamondback rattler under the kneeler?

There is no need to bless yourself and call attention to yourself. After the service someone might ask you what church you attend and that will be your opening.

I think some bless themselves to antagonize protestants.

You get more flies with honey than vinegar.
It is not disrespectful. It is an opportunity to explain why we do it. If a snake handler walked into our church that’d be fine so long as he does not interrupt the mass. Signing yourself does not interrupt the protestant service like a slithering serpent would if it bit you on the butt:rolleyes:

It is okay to sign yourself anywhere and it should not cause offense. You are who you are. In signing yourself, you acknowledge that you pray united to the Trinity. It doesn’t say anything about the One True Church so much as about the One True God.

Mind you, there is almost no way to go through life without offending someone, especially these days when taking offense is such an entitlement. If you think it a nice gesture to be discreet (to use your thumb and cross yourself only at the breast, for instance), fine. If you are in a more foreign place of worship–a mosque or a synagogue–of course you might refrain if you sense without question that it is going to be a problem. (Not that I think you can necessarily make that assumption. There are some very tolerant Jews and Muslims in the world who care only that people are reverent.)

Of course, the most certain way to know is to ask the minister at the church you’re talking about. Whether they care or not, they will probably appreciate your concern.

Do I sound as if I’m talking out of both sides of my mouth? My opinion is that it is wrong for anyone to ask you to refrain, but would be gracious of you to refrain if asked.

40.png
BLB_Oregon:
It is okay to sign yourself anywhere and it should not cause offense. You are who you are. In signing yourself, you acknowledge that you pray united to the Trinity. It doesn’t say anything about the One True Church so much as about the One True God.

Mind you, there is almost no way to go through life without offending someone, especially these days when taking offense is such an entitlement. If you think it a nice gesture to be discreet (to use your thumb and cross yourself only at the breast, for instance), fine. If you are in a more foreign place of worship–a mosque or a synagogue–of course you might refrain if you sense without question that it is going to be a problem. (Not that I think you can necessarily make that assumption. There are some very tolerant Jews and Muslims in the world who care only that people are reverent.)

Of course, the most certain way to know is to ask the minister at the church you’re talking about. Whether they care or not, they will probably appreciate your concern.

Do I sound as if I’m talking out of both sides of my mouth? My opinion is that it is wrong for anyone to ask you to refrain, but would be gracious of you to refrain if asked.
I agree mostly. Apart form the last bit of your statement. If they asked me to refrain I’d be :nope: :mad: :banghead: . Then I’d say to them (especially if they are hard-line imams or rabbis) “Jesus is Lord”:bowdown2: :amen: . Then they would be 😃 .

OK… Now let me ask you people this: How would you feel if someone started clapping and yelling out “amen brother”, “right on”, “you tell it to them” or would get up and start interpreting the scriptures, or break into a song of praise during the Sunday mass or the Eucharistic Adoration? Would they be justified witnessing their faith to us or not?

I think there is a time to witness and there is time to simply respect other people’s way of worship.

I wouldn’t mind an “amen” or two during the homily. It might help. As far as standing up and interpreting scripture, that is considerably more distracting than simply blessing oneself.

A better example would be one who would attend Mass and not participate in the kneeling because that is a posture one is accostomed to during prayer. In this case I would have no problem with a non-Catholic doing this.

pnewton, I disagree! Here is why:

You are making your assertions from a Catholic point of view. For a Southern Baptist, yelling out in agreement is as normative as for us signing ourselves. This is not a question in the volume or the degree of the conduct. To make the sign of the cross in a Synagogue would cause great scandal. Step out of the Catholic box and look at it for what it is. When you enter someone else’s home, you observe the costumes of that home. If the customs are disagreeable, you stay away. But while you are in that home, you must not do ANYTHING that is unwelcome there. This question would be more suited to Miss Manners than to a Catholic Forum.

Personally I don’t pray or bless myself in Protestant Church, but was asked to be a god father in one.

The Minister said the Our Father and that’s all I said, but as for me blessing myself and praying no !!!
I’ve been to a few Protestant weddings, but never joined in the Hyms, apart from sitting and standing like everyone else, I never saw anyone kneeling.

So that was as much as I was prepared to do, and maybe if you had lived in Northern Ireland for 46 years, then anymore than that would be a great effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back