JWs came knocking today...

  • Thread starter Thread starter DustinsDad
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

DustinsDad

Guest
First time for me that two Jehova’s Witnesses came to my door.

They were with a van load of folks canvassing the neighborhood. I tried to get them to come in and talk but they wouldn’t (no time? or maybe my barking German Shepherd). After taking their pamplet advertising the Watchtower, I invited them to come back and talk anytime and said goodbye. Saw them looking at my St. Francis de Sales Oratory Latin Mass bumper sticker as they walked off.

Then as I closed the door, I had an inspiration - and frantically scoured my house for a copy of Pillar of Fire Pillar of Truth - no copy available! My wife who was abrubtly woke up from her nap by my mad search thought I was nuts - no time to explain!

Quick - TO THE COMPUTER - got a copy of Pillar of Fire off in a moment or two, with fading black ink and all…and wrote my cell number and name on the top of it.

Then ran out of the house and saw they were all filing back into the van - about eight of them now. I ran up out of breath and said that since I took something from them, I’d like to give them something, and thrust Pillar of Fire into the hands of the young guy that was at my door - told 'em to come back or call anytime they wanted to talk.

They looked at me like I was out of my mind, but kept Pillar (as far as I could tell).

That’s all - thought I’d share it with y’all.

Peace in Christ!

DustinsDad

PS - I’ve talked with Mormon’s at the door, even had a couple come in and have an at length conversation. The Mormon’s seemed a bit more friendly. But this was my first encounter with Jehova’s Witnesses.
 
First time for me that two Jehova’s Witnesses came to my door.

They were with a van load of folks canvassing the neighborhood. I tried to get them to come in and talk but they wouldn’t (no time? or maybe my barking German Shepherd :whistle:). After taking their pamplet advertising the Watchtower, I invited them to come back and talk anytime and said goodbye. Saw them looking at my St. Francis de Sales Oratory Latin Mass bumper sticker as they walked off.

Then as I closed the door, I had an inspiration - and frantically scoured my house for a copy of Pillar of Fire Pillar of Truth - no copy available! My wife who was abrubtly woke up from her nap by my mad search thought I was nuts - no time to explain!

Quick - TO THE COMPUTER - got a copy of Pillar of Fire off in a moment or two, with fading black ink and all…and wrote my cell number and name on the top of it.

Then ran out of the house and saw they were all filing back into the van - about eight of them now. I ran up out of breath and said that since I took something from them, I’d like to give them something, and thrust Pillar of Fire into the hands of the young guy that was at my door - told 'em to come back or call anytime they wanted to talk.

They looked at me like I was out of my mind, but kept Pillar (as far as I could tell).

That’s all - thought I’d share it with y’all.

Peace in Christ!

DustinsDad

PS - I’ve talked with Mormon’s at the door, even had a couple come in and have an at length conversation. The Mormon’s seemed a bit more friendly. But this was my first encounter with Jehova’s Witnesses.
I still havnt had the privilege to have a face to face encounter but I hope to be prepared when it happens.
 
They will throw your stuff out. They are not allowed to read our literature. They will, however, come back, if you haven’t scared them off completely. I usually begin a discussion about not being able to dialogue with them because they do not believe Jesus is God. They will not deny this. They will also attempt to get you onto their turf. I guess it makes them more intimidating. If they do come, try to keep them around for as long as you can, although if they don’t think they are being successful, they will cut and run.
 
First time for me that two Jehova’s Witnesses came to my door.
.
I’ve been living in my apartment for 4 years or so, and have yet to receive a visit. Which is odd since my ex-landlady and her husband are JWs and know about my RCIA activity. I would have thought that they would have had some of their friends visit me before now.

O well, I always like to discuss the Bible, especially Matthew 19, 10-12. Ask them if they are divorced and remarried. A lot of JWs are, and that is adultry.:mad:

Ask the guy if he is willing to make himself a eunuch for the Kingdom of Heaven’s sake. Watch them fall over themselves trying to make clear that Jesus may have said it, but that is not what he meant. He was talking about chastity. Sure:rolleyes:

That baptism in the Jordan is nice too. God, Son, and Holy Spirit appearing together. What fun!👍
 
Good for you DustinsDad for making the mad dash with our literature back out to their van!!! They probably didn’t stay because it was nearly the end of their “hour” or whatever time they had set aside for door to door work & needed to meet back up with the others. Maybe they had lunch plans? That’s always what I looked forward to when I was out knocking on doors.

I agree that they did NOT read what you gave them though. In a large group like that there is no way the young man could keep it even if he wanted to. Your best bet is to try to give it to him again if he comes back with only 1 other person.

I am certain he’ll be back - probably in two weeks or so. I’d read whatever he gave you, write on it all the ways they are wrong… scripture refrences - Church Fathers - whatever so you’ll be ready when he returns because that’s what he’ll want to discuss.

God Bless,
CM

P.S. shame on you for waking your poor wife from her nap! We HATE that! 😉
 
In had one come by the other day while i was eating Lunch. i asked him if he would like to come in and prayMiday prayer from the Liturgy of the Hours with me. he declined. He did leave me a full color brochure on the Death of False Religion(or was it Church? Im not sure becuse I ran it through my shredder ).
 
Well, they didn’t come “a-knocking” today, BUT,
the JWs DID canvass my entire condo building today
in a building-wide silent sneak-attack distribution of
their pamplet, THE END OF FALSE RELIGION IS NEAR !!

What they did is, without knocking, went to every screen door in the building, and stuck a folded pamphlet inside every screen door.

An ex JW myself, I went to 5pm mass, then came home and read the pamphlet a little while ago. Same old hysterical, alarmist, hackneyed stuff. Namely, we are the True Religion.
Join us - quickly !! - or DIE.
 
First time for me that two Jehova’s Witnesses came to my door.

They were with a van load of folks canvassing the neighborhood. I tried to get them to come in and talk but they wouldn’t (no time? or maybe my barking German Shepherd). After taking their pamplet advertising the Watchtower, I invited them to come back and talk anytime and said goodbye. Saw them looking at my St. Francis de Sales Oratory Latin Mass bumper sticker as they walked off.

Then as I closed the door, I had an inspiration - and frantically scoured my house for a copy of Pillar of Fire Pillar of Truth - no copy available! My wife who was abrubtly woke up from her nap by my mad search thought I was nuts - no time to explain!

Quick - TO THE COMPUTER - got a copy of Pillar of Fire off in a moment or two, with fading black ink and all…and wrote my cell number and name on the top of it.

Then ran out of the house and saw they were all filing back into the van - about eight of them now. I ran up out of breath and said that since I took something from them, I’d like to give them something, and thrust Pillar of Fire into the hands of the young guy that was at my door - told 'em to come back or call anytime they wanted to talk.

They looked at me like I was out of my mind, but kept Pillar (as far as I could tell).

That’s all - thought I’d share it with y’all.

Peace in Christ!

DustinsDad

PS - I’ve talked with Mormon’s at the door, even had a couple come in and have an at length conversation. The Mormon’s seemed a bit more friendly. But this was my first encounter with Jehova’s Witnesses.
Good story. I had some come to my house a couple years back. An old man and a young man. I asked them when and how the JW’s was founded and then told them that I belong to the church that Jesus founded 2000 years ago. I looked the young man (early 20’s) square in the eye and warned him about falling into a religion that has only been around for a little over a hundred years. I looked the old man (60’ish) in the eye and welcomed him to come back if he would read the writings of the early church fathers first. Well, the old man asked me to give back the copy of the WatchTower that they handed me! I guess they had a low budget 🙂

I haven’t seen them since, but I really thing the young man gave thought to my comments…and I prayed for them like every day for 3 months 🙂
 
Eight or ten years back a couple came by. I had just finished running a series of talks by Tim Staples at my parish and was feeling rather confident; so I talked to them.

I kept the talk wandering along looking for a good spot to dig in when he asked me why I thought I was immortal. I told him, “Jesus told the Sadduccees that they were very much mistaken in not believing in immortality. He is the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; the God of the living, not of the dead.” It just popped out without me thinking. I had forgotten that they don’t believe in immortality.

He suggested that we seem to have different interpretations for that verse. We chatted a little more and he left after noting that we all need to be tolerant of others beliefs.

They’ve never been back. 👍
 
They came by my door today too with “The Death of False Religion”. I thanked them, then threw it away.
 
They came by my door today too with “The Death of False Religion”.
Now if they would only take thier own advice and close up shop :gopray2:

1914, 1915, 1918, 1920, 1925, 1941, 1975 and 1994, etc. were other dates that the Watchtower Society (WTS) or its members predicted. Since late in the 19th century, they had taught that the “battle of the Great Day of God Almighty” (Armageddon) would happen in 1914 CE. It didn’t.
The next major estimate was 1925. Watchtower magazine predicted: “The year 1925 is a date definitely and clearly marked in the Scriptures, even more clearly than that of 1914; but it would be presumptuous on the part of any faithful follower of the Lord to assume just what the Lord is going to do during that year.” 6
The Watchtower Society selected 1975 as its next main prediction. This was based on the estimate “according to reliable Bible chronology Adam was created in the year 4026 BCE, likely in the autumn of the year, at the end of the sixth day of creation.” 8 They believed that the year 1975 a promising date for the end of the world, as it was the 6,000th anniversary of Adam’s creation. Exactly 1,000 years was to pass for each day of the creation week. This prophecy also failed.
The current estimate is that the end of the world as we know it will happen precisely 6000 years after the creation of Eve. 9 There is no way of knowing when this happened.
More details on the WTS predictions
religioustolerance.org/end_wrl2.htm
 
Yeah - it was The End of False Religion pamphlet that everyone’s been talking about (noticed the other thread after I posted this one).

I’ll take the advice of saving it with notes in case they come back 👍

By the way - does anyone else get a wild rush of adrenelin with these things happen, especially when it’s unexpected? No matter how much I discuss these things online or with friends/family, when it’s in person and I *know *the person(s) are meaning to attack the faith - it comes back.

Peace,

DustinsDad
 
Yeah - it was The End of False Religion pamphlet that everyone’s been talking about (noticed the other thread after I posted this one).

I’ll take the advice of saving it with notes in case they come back 👍

By the way - does anyone else get a wild rush of adrenelin with these things happen, especially when it’s unexpected? No matter how much I discuss these things online or with friends/family, when it’s in person and I *know *the person(s) are meaning to attack the faith - it comes back.

Peace,

DustinsDad
Oh yeh!! I was cutting the back lawn one Saturday morning when I saw them through the neighbors’ yards… I never moved so fast to clean up a little, get to the door and have a spot to invite them in to sit and chat… and they spent a couple of hours… when they said they had to go, I said I understood because they had quotas to meet in giving out their “stuff”. Without thinking, I guess, one quickly agreed and said they were behind on their numbers. The other was rather upset with him…

I just said it must be worse than getting orders for girl scout cookies. Again, the young one agreed, and the older dragged him off.:rolleyes:
 
Mr. S,
hi,
I was a JW, and I never had to meet a “quota” of hours in door-to-door preaching work. HOWEVER, there is a category of Jehovah’s Witnesses called “Pioneers” and they engage in this work basically fulltime, 100 hours a month or more. Pioneers do have to meet a quota of hours spent out in the field, because they receive a small stipend from the Watchtower Society to help defray a little of their living costs, but they don’t receive much.

Jaypeeto4 (aka Jaypeeto3)
 
They will throw your stuff out. They are not allowed to read our literature.
True. But I was listening to the Catholic Answers program on Tuesday and learned that although they are not allowed to *read *our literature, they are allowed to listen to tapes. Confusing, I know. But if you happen to have something on tape handy for their next visit, make sure to take advantage of this loophole.
 
Has anyone asked them why none of the Watchtowers predictions have come true?

What is there answer to that?

Also look for jason everts series on CA radio mp3s. the are good.
 
My aunt and uncle got a JW over the weekend. I saw the pamphlet by the door. I have gotten the occasional Baptist at my door asking me to come to their church. I tried the “no thanks I am Catholic” approach but they still came back. I just took their peice of paper and said Thanks.
 
True. But I was listening to the Catholic Answers program on Tuesday and learned that although they are not allowed to *read *our literature, they are allowed to listen to tapes. Confusing, I know. But if you happen to have something on tape handy for their next visit, make sure to take advantage of this loophole.
I missed last Tuesday show…
was that mention in the first hour when Fr. John Trigilio was the guest or was that in the second hour when Karl Keating was the guest.?

Thanks!
God Bless!
 
They came by my door today too with “The Death of False Religion”. I thanked them, then threw it away.
They had the same one for us today. My atheist husband answered the door. He said, no thanks. The man at the door thanked my husband for answering the door. 😛 I don’t think they get a lot of doors that open.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top