M
Maria_Monte
Guest
I have just read the following:
In its own words, your RCC admit : ''We Catholics ACKNOWLEDGE readily, WITHOUT ANY SHAME, NAY WITH PRIDE, that CATHOLICISM CANNOT BE IDENTIFIED with primitive Christianity, nor even WITH THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST, in the same way that the great oak cannot be identified with the tiny acorn. There is no mechanical identity, but an organic identity. And we go further and say that thousands of years hence Catholicism will probably be even richer, more luxuriant, more manifold in dogma, morals, law and worship than the Catholicism of the present day. A religious historian of the fifth millennium A.D. will without difficulty discover in Catholicism conceptions and forms and practices which derive from India, China and Japan, and he will have to recognize a far more obvious complex of opposites."
(Karl Adam, The spirit of Catholicism, Macmillan, NY, NY 1928, chap. 1, p. 2, Endorsed by Council Vatican II 1962-1965)
Adam was a Roman Catholic priest. His book ‘‘The spirit of Catholicism’’ is a Roman Catholic authority, bearing the Nihil Obstat (nothing opposes) of the Censor Board of the Archdiocese of New York and Imprimatur (Permission granted to print) by the late Cardinal Heyes.)
I understand that the above quote is cherry-picked. I also understand that it is on a lot of anti-Catholic sites and so it has probably been discussed here on CAF. I’m not good at searching here so maybe I have missed the threads but I just can’t find them.
I can’t find any Catholic sites which refute the quote. When I google the quote I am taken to sites but they seem to be about everything but the quote.
Help?
In its own words, your RCC admit : ''We Catholics ACKNOWLEDGE readily, WITHOUT ANY SHAME, NAY WITH PRIDE, that CATHOLICISM CANNOT BE IDENTIFIED with primitive Christianity, nor even WITH THE GOSPEL OF CHRIST, in the same way that the great oak cannot be identified with the tiny acorn. There is no mechanical identity, but an organic identity. And we go further and say that thousands of years hence Catholicism will probably be even richer, more luxuriant, more manifold in dogma, morals, law and worship than the Catholicism of the present day. A religious historian of the fifth millennium A.D. will without difficulty discover in Catholicism conceptions and forms and practices which derive from India, China and Japan, and he will have to recognize a far more obvious complex of opposites."
(Karl Adam, The spirit of Catholicism, Macmillan, NY, NY 1928, chap. 1, p. 2, Endorsed by Council Vatican II 1962-1965)
Adam was a Roman Catholic priest. His book ‘‘The spirit of Catholicism’’ is a Roman Catholic authority, bearing the Nihil Obstat (nothing opposes) of the Censor Board of the Archdiocese of New York and Imprimatur (Permission granted to print) by the late Cardinal Heyes.)
I understand that the above quote is cherry-picked. I also understand that it is on a lot of anti-Catholic sites and so it has probably been discussed here on CAF. I’m not good at searching here so maybe I have missed the threads but I just can’t find them.
I can’t find any Catholic sites which refute the quote. When I google the quote I am taken to sites but they seem to be about everything but the quote.
Help?