David_Paul:
Who is this “we” kimosabe?
The “we” is a rhetorical peace offering I use sometimes instead of “you.” I find that sometimes people feel less “accused” that way, and like I’m in the boat with them and only trying to observe our poor situation so we can work together to get out.
What I meant was “you people really seem to hate Jews.” I said “we seem to hate Jews” so that I could stand accused with everyone else and not think I was trying to put myself over them. This is part of my “hate the sin, love the sinner” style I invoke. I love the sinner by identifying myself with him/her, even while standing with them while being accused by me!
Does that all make sense?
I don’t see Christians in Federal Court everyday of the week trying to deny Jews their right to free exercise of religion.
Familiar with the “Mojave Cross?” It’s a war memorial in CA. One Jewish vet saw it and ran to court to have it covered with a tarp.
Know who sucessfully sued to overturn the “Choose Life” license plates in Louisiana? One rabbi and the National Council of Jewish Women. The NCJW argued in its complaint the law “advanced Christian fundamentalism.”
I don’t see Christians demanding final say on Jewish movies. Don’t see Christians demanding no taxpayer money go to the Simon Wiesenthal Center in LA (it receives millions and is fond of staging “debates” on Catholic involement in Nazism). I do see Jews runningto Federal court to stop Chuck Colson from receiving a dime in taxpayer money for his prison ministry.
Leo Pfeffer, lead lawyer for the American Jewish Congress, headed the drive to purge the public square of religion. In the 1960s, he boasted the lawsuits he won led to a “triumph of secular humanism” in America.
OK, so there’s a lot of jerkhead Jews. This NCJW and other organizations; are they driven centrally by any Jewish authority, or does Judaism even have such an authority?
They must not all be like that, as I have heard some really cool Jews on talk radio. Have you ever heard “the priest and the rabbi” segment on the Imus in the Morning show?
By giving these examples of Jews who choose to be a PITA, are
you suggesting that the stamp project is actually a scheme to dishonor JPII? If it is, showing him without a cross doesn’t seem to dishonor him too badly. Yes, if it is airbrushed out of there to artificially remove his cross, but if these people are actually trying to reach out, wouldn’t it be prudent for their leaders to pick a camera angle or cropping such that it would “ease” their people into it gradually?
If you’re waiting for them to denounce their faith and enter into RCIA before they can show some respect to the Pope, then we’ll be waiting a long time, and we are certainly not honoring this Quran-kissing Pope.
The reason I’m still being a bit tentative here is that I don’t keep much track of the Catholic-Jew situation. From what I have learned about politics, I know enough not to completely dismiss even a seemingly paranoid accusation. That is why I asked whether we have reason to believe that this specific act – the stamp thing – is suspicious.
Tolerance is a two way street. So far only one side is practicing it.
Which side would that be? Clearly not the side mostly being articulated in this thread. Would it be the side that is offering an ostensible olive branch, or the side which insists on the whole tree?
Alan