G
GEddie
Guest
No doubt.No offense, but I’ve heard atheists use that very same logic regarding God.
But the importance of aliens versus God are not even to be compared.
ICXC NIKA
No doubt.No offense, but I’ve heard atheists use that very same logic regarding God.
What’s the difference between issues and problems?I have to disagree with the quote. Discovery of intelligent aliens might raise new theological issues, but not theological problems. (Perhaps the aliens would have their own theologians, for whom the discovery of us might raise theological issues!) Of course we already know of some alien beings–the angels, who are not human, but they are well incorporated into our theology already, though perhaps inadequately from an angel’s viewpoint.
(And if we find a planet inhabited by giant ants, I’m going out there with a can of Raid myself.)
What’s the difference between issues and problems?
Here, let me try this:I can’t link it but if you search for extraterrestrials on here and find the question to CAF priest Fr. Gronden or Groden.
Ok thanks!An issue is something new to study. A problem is something requiring re-evaluation of an existing concept. There is nothing in the idea of extraterrestrial life that is a problem for Catholic theology. All it would do is open a new field of theological study.
At one time I was fascinated by such things, but now I figure that if “they’re out there” in God’s good time we will know it. If they aren’t, they aren’t. It makes no difference to our faith or our lives–not until they land and say, “Take us to your leader.”This was on our news webpage this morning:
ksdk.com/story/tech/2015/01/19/air-force-ufo-files/21985651/
What difference would it make to your faithif they do land and say “take us to your leader?”At one time I was fascinated by such things, but now I figure that if “they’re out there” in God’s good time we will know it. If they aren’t, they aren’t. It makes no difference to our faith or our lives–not until they land and say, “Take us to your leader.”
None.What difference would it make to your faithif they do land and say “take us to your leader?”
I should’ve asked what difference would it make to OUR faith if they land and say “take us to your leader?”None.![]()
None.I should’ve asked what difference would it make to OUR faith if they land and say “take us to your leader?”
Tell us why you think it would make a difference. Most of us have said, in full four pages of posts, that it would make no difference. So why would it make a difference to you?I should’ve asked what difference would it make to OUR faith if they land and say “take us to your leader?”
It wouldnt. I have OCD and worry about stuff like this.Tell us why you think it would make a difference. Most of us have said, in full four pages of posts, that it would make no difference. So why would it make a difference to you?![]()
It’s probably better that you worry over something that will probably never affect us than over things that can, I guess.It wouldnt. I have OCD and worry about stuff like this.
The size of the universe is mind boggling. God is awesome!It’s probably better that you worry over something that will probably never affect us than over things that can, I guess.
Actually, the distances between star systems is so vast that traveling between them, aka Star Trek, is nearly impossible. The physics is simply too daunting
Indeed.The size of the universe is mind boggling. God is awesome!
Not to sound harsh, but this sounds like the statement a future Church council might use in its “let them be anathema” formula regarding discovery of alien life.I’ve wondered from time to time if Christ couldn’t manifest himself on another planet, similarly to how he did for us. Then again, maybe not. Thoughts?
Incarnation in another world implies that the residents of the other world have flesh bodies (Latin, carnis).Not to sound harsh, but this sounds like the statement a future Church council might use in its “let them be anathema” formula regarding discovery of alien life.
Peter wrote the Hebrews that Christ came once, for all time. That ought to be taken as definitive and totally authoritive. The incarnation would lose meaning of we were among many whom God shed his infinite mercy on.
Further, it would create a problem of multiple Churches on other planets if Christ was incarnate multiple times, in order for the sacraments to be fulfilled. This is a violation of the marks of the Church and its unity, which cannot occur.
Christ came once and redeemed all. That could include alien life too. But he was not incarnate elsewhere. There was one incarnation, and one Holy Catholic Church formed by him and bestowed upon Peter for its safekeeping.
In “Out of the Silent Planet” C. S. Lewis most certainly doesn’t make a claim for another kind of salvation for aliens. You should read his trilogy if you wish to know what Lewis was saying.I disagree, sorry. This doesn’t necessarily preclude aliens from salvation, but I think it’s pretty heterodox to claim that God implemented other plans of salvation, and incarnation of necessary.
The Gospel is for all people. Paul and others make that point abundantly clear. Gentiles and aliens alike. I refuse to believe that a separate salvation occurred; that’s contrary to the teaching of the Church.