J
jmb717
Guest
I found the King James New Testament book on tape in my library. Is there anything I will be missing (from a Catholic standpoint) if I use this? There are no Catholic Bibles on tape in our library.
You won’t be missing much. The KJV New Testament translation is not so biased that it teaches false doctrine. Two differences you will find, though: In the last two verses of Jude there will be a difference based on a faulty manuscript they had which leaves out the name of Jesus and mentions only God the Father; they will also change an “or” to an “and” in 1 Cor. 11:23-27, when Paul talks about how eating unworthily the bread OR the wine in the Lord’s Supper is sacrilege to Christ’s Body AND Blood. That is important to a Catholic understanding of the Eucharist, and they changed it to accord better with Anglican theology which separates the Body and Blood into the Bread and Wine (respectively) alone. Other than that, there should be nothing wrong with it as far as I know.I found the King James New Testament book on tape in my library. Is there anything I will be missing (from a Catholic standpoint) if I use this? There are no Catholic Bibles on tape in our library.
I don’t have a copy of it in front of me, but most non-Catholic Bibles do not contain all the Books that the Catholic Bibles do. Such as at the end of the Old Testament is Macabees 1&2 included?I found the King James New Testament book on tape in my library. Is there anything I will be missing (from a Catholic standpoint) if I use this? There are no Catholic Bibles on tape in our library.
TWO THINGS;=jmb717;6687477]I found the King James New Testament book on tape in my library. Is there anything I will be missing (from a Catholic standpoint) if I use this? There are no Catholic Bibles on tape in our library.
I like this answer. I’d also like to add that Catholic apologist Jimmy Akin uses the KJV sometimes because it often gives a decent idea of the Greek of a passage since it is fairly literal (kind of like the Douay-Rheims). Of course, there is no perfect “translation” since the same words can fairly be translated more than one way sometimes. It’s probably advantageous to look at multiple good translations. I, along with the good folks at CA, prefer the RSV-CE.You won’t be missing much. The KJV New Testament translation is not so biased that it teaches false doctrine. Two differences you will find, though: In the last two verses of Jude there will be a difference based on a faulty manuscript they had which leaves out the name of Jesus and mentions only God the Father; they will also change an “or” to an “and” in 1 Cor. 11:23-27, when Paul talks about how eating unworthily the bread OR the wine in the Lord’s Supper is sacrilege to Christ’s Body AND Blood. That is important to a Catholic understanding of the Eucharist, and they changed it to accord better with Anglican theology which separates the Body and Blood into the Bread and Wine (respectively) alone. Other than that, there should be nothing wrong with it as far as I know.