5
57classic
Guest
No! Most emphatically, you are missing NOTHING!I have moved around several parished in my time, and never heard ’ Kumbaya’ sung. Am I missing something?
No! Most emphatically, you are missing NOTHING!I have moved around several parished in my time, and never heard ’ Kumbaya’ sung. Am I missing something?
Wow. This was played for my Confirmation in 1981. Thank you Paco!Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”
Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:It only takes a spark to get a fire going, And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; That's how it is with God's Love, Once you've experienced it, Your spread the love to everyone You want to pass it on. What a wonderous time is spring, When all the tress are budding The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming; That's how it is with God's love, Once you've experienced it. You want to sing, it's fresh like spring, You want to pass it on. I wish for you my friend This happiness that I've found; You can depend on God It matters not where you're bound, I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on. I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on.
Ha, ha, don’t get me started on the PC revisionist lyrics. “Good Christian Friends, Rejoice,” anyone?Whatsoever You Do - just a few weeks ago at my own parish’s Sunday Mass. The music leader tries to use the PC lyrics but there are several of us “old school” types who happily sing about our brothers.![]()
This song has a built-in self destruct switch.Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”
Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:It only takes a spark to get a fire going, And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing; That's how it is with God's Love, Once you've experienced it, Your spread the love to everyone You want to pass it on. What a wonderous time is spring, When all the tress are budding The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming; That's how it is with God's love, Once you've experienced it. You want to sing, it's fresh like spring, You want to pass it on. I wish for you my friend This happiness that I've found; You can depend on God It matters not where you're bound, I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on. I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD! I want the world to know The Lord of love has come to me I want to pass it on.
“Siblings all are we”? Just doesn’t have the same ring to it.And we do sing, “brothers all are we”. I don’t even know what you might say instead…
According to a recent OCP publication, “We are family.” Yes, really.And we do sing, “brothers all are we”. I don’t even know what you might say instead.
The 2009 Breaking Bread still says “brothers…” When I practice for Sunday tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to look up the wording in the 2010.According to a recent OCP publication, “We are family.” Yes, really.
–Jen
Do you mean the Harry Belafonte Gloria? I truly despise that. I was quite vociferous about it on Easter, but we sang it anyway.BTW, that earlier post got me thinking… has anyone started a thread on the “clappy” Gloria yet by any chance? That’s almost just as worthy as Kumbaya when it comes to bad church music we can commiserate over.![]()
The OCP version is “With God as our Father, we are family. Let us walk with each other, in perfect harmony.”We sang Let There Be Peace on Earth in grade school in the mid to late 50s, when it was new. We sang it at our 8th grade graduation, and it was a frequent number in my high school choir performances. But we didn’t sing it at Mass.
We sing it now several times a year, especially around 4th of July, or if a national holiday falls on a weekend. Since it was my mother’s favorite song, we sang it as the recessional at her funeral. And we do sing, “brothers all are we”. ** I don’t even know what you might say instead.**
Even in the very midst of the “guitars in the cafeteria” 1960s, I never went to a Mass where we sang Kumbaya. My high school had a Hootenanny every year and somebody always sang it there, but never at Mass.