Kumbaya?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mozier
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”

Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:
                    It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
                    And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
                    That's how it is with God's Love,
                    Once you've experienced it,
                    Your spread the love to everyone
                    You want to pass it on.

                    What a wonderous time is spring,
                    When all the tress are budding
                    The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
                    That's how it is with God's love,
                    Once you've experienced it.
                    You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
                    You want to pass it on.

                    I wish for you my friend
                    This happiness that I've found;
                    You can depend on God
                    It matters not where you're bound,
                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.

                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.
Wow. This was played for my Confirmation in 1981. Thank you Paco!

ICXC NIKA and Kumbaya:):):):)!
 
Whatsoever You Do - just a few weeks ago at my own parish’s Sunday Mass. The music leader tries to use the PC lyrics but there are several of us “old school” types who happily sing about our brothers. 😉
Ha, ha, don’t get me started on the PC revisionist lyrics. “Good Christian Friends, Rejoice,” anyone? 😛
 
Haven’t heard “Let there be peace on earth” since the 80s. It appears from time to time in the J.S. Paluch/WLP misselletes as does “Whatsoever you do.”

Here’s another oldie that has disappeared. It remember it being the enterence hymn at my Confirmation Mass way back in the early 80s…“Pass It On.”
Code:
                    It only takes a spark to get a fire going,
                    And soon all those around can warm up in its glowing;
                    That's how it is with God's Love,
                    Once you've experienced it,
                    Your spread the love to everyone
                    You want to pass it on.

                    What a wonderous time is spring,
                    When all the tress are budding
                    The birds begin to sing, the flowers start their blooming;
                    That's how it is with God's love,
                    Once you've experienced it.
                    You want to sing, it's fresh like spring,
                    You want to pass it on.

                    I wish for you my friend
                    This happiness that I've found;
                    You can depend on God
                    It matters not where you're bound,
                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.

                    I'll shout it from the mountain top - PRAISE GOD!
                    I want the world to know
                    The Lord of love has come to me
                    I want to pass it on.
This song has a built-in self destruct switch.

The line “Once you’ve experienced it” is nealy impossible to sing without going up in a crazy swoop on the second syllable of the word ‘experienced.’. The kids in the congregation invariably go overboard with the swoop and then dissolve in giggles. After a few tries even the most hardy music minister gives up. 😃
 
We sang Let There Be Peace on Earth in grade school in the mid to late 50s, when it was new. We sang it at our 8th grade graduation, and it was a frequent number in my high school choir performances. But we didn’t sing it at Mass.

We sing it now several times a year, especially around 4th of July, or if a national holiday falls on a weekend. Since it was my mother’s favorite song, we sang it as the recessional at her funeral. And we do sing, “brothers all are we”. I don’t even know what you might say instead.

Even in the very midst of the “guitars in the cafeteria” 1960s, I never went to a Mass where we sang Kumbaya. My high school had a Hootenanny every year and somebody always sang it there, but never at Mass.
 
BTW, that earlier post got me thinking… has anyone started a thread on the “clappy” Gloria yet by any chance? That’s almost just as worthy as Kumbaya when it comes to bad church music we can commiserate over. 😛
 
According to a recent OCP publication, “We are family.” Yes, really. 😛

–Jen
The 2009 Breaking Bread still says “brothers…” When I practice for Sunday tomorrow, I’ll try to remember to look up the wording in the 2010.

We are famil-ee-ee.
I got all my sisters with me!
 
BTW, that earlier post got me thinking… has anyone started a thread on the “clappy” Gloria yet by any chance? That’s almost just as worthy as Kumbaya when it comes to bad church music we can commiserate over. 😛
Do you mean the Harry Belafonte Gloria? I truly despise that. I was quite vociferous about it on Easter, but we sang it anyway.

Gloria, (clap clap)
Gloria, (clap clap)
In excelsis Deo,
Da-a-ay-o,
Daylight come and me want to go home.

This little clip is kind of sweet, but not because of the song. The kid’s joy is what I like.

youtube.com/watch?v=ESZDJUsgS70
 
We sang Let There Be Peace on Earth in grade school in the mid to late 50s, when it was new. We sang it at our 8th grade graduation, and it was a frequent number in my high school choir performances. But we didn’t sing it at Mass.

We sing it now several times a year, especially around 4th of July, or if a national holiday falls on a weekend. Since it was my mother’s favorite song, we sang it as the recessional at her funeral. And we do sing, “brothers all are we”. ** I don’t even know what you might say instead.**
Even in the very midst of the “guitars in the cafeteria” 1960s, I never went to a Mass where we sang Kumbaya. My high school had a Hootenanny every year and somebody always sang it there, but never at Mass.
The OCP version is “With God as our Father, we are family. Let us walk with each other, in perfect harmony.”

Frankly, I don’t remember the “we are family” part. I think our leader pushes “with God as our Father, children all are we. Let us walk with each other, in perfect harmony.”
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top