Last Prophet

• Thread starter Thread starter apdias21
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

apdias21

Who was the last prophet? Do we need a living prophet with temples and the like as Mormons claim to be necessary? What is the position of the Catholic Church? Thanks, any comments?
Antonio
Campinas, SP, Brazil

Last prophet from the old school ( as kids will say )? John the Baptist. Things are difarent now as you know. There is no new public revalation. Yet as far is God using people to teach/ lead his Church here and now? Yes we have the leaders of the Catholic Church to fill that role.

The last prophet is Jesus Christ. Since he preached the ENTIRETY of the gospel while he was here 2,000 years ago, any other prophet would be filling the blanks that Jesus missed, making Jesus fallible. Since Jesus is infallible, and preached the full gospel, any other “prophet” after Him must be false.

i’m not too convinced that the last prophet at this time is John Paul II, and the most recent to die was probably Mother Theresa…
(could be) think about it… 👍

There have benn NO prophets since before Jesus walked the Earth. Good post, Apologia.

Christianity is a revealed religion by Our God, so there is no need for prophets. Remember the passage from Gallatians (?): If any man or angel teaches anything contrary to what I have taught you, let that man or angel be accursed.

Or something like that.

Thanks Andrew, I think the same you do, I agree, I think you gave the best answer for this question. Great.
Antonio

Geat, Apologia100, I liked your answer too, I agree with you too.
Thanks,
Antonio

I realize this question is being responded to in a Christian context but since this is under Non-Catholic religions thought it would interest someone:

You’ll probably know that Muhammad claimed to be the last Prophet but for Baha’is who accept the Bab and Baha’u’llah as Prophets this isn’t accepted…

We believe the Arabic in the Qur’anic verse “Khatimu 'n-Nabiyin” Seal of the Prophets, refers to minor prophets or Nabi rather than Rasuli who bring new scriptures and introduce new dispensations…

So for Baha’is the fulfillment of the age of prophecy was in 1260 AH or 1844 AD when the Bab declared Himself the Promised One or Qa’im… In 1863, Baha’u’llah declared His Mission in the Ridwan Garden near Bagdad and later (1873) said another Manifestation of God would appear for not less than a thousand years.
  • Art 👍

40.png
apdias21:
Who was the last prophet? Do we need a living prophet with temples and the like as Mormons claim to be necessary? What is the position of the Catholic Church? Thanks, any comments?
Antonio-

The Scriptures reveal that the NT Church did have an office of prophets even naming some of them (Acts 11:27; 13:1-3; 15:32; 1 Corinthians 12:28-29; Ephesians 2:20; 3:5; 4:11). These prophets within the Church would continue until the last days (see below). That is why we are warned about the “false” ones which are to come (Matthew 7:15; 24:11; 2 Peter 2:1; 1 John 4:1). I suspect that this office was merged with another office within the Church. The Church is in control of her government and at times adds, modifies, or removes offices as needed (i.e. cardinals).

In regards to the last days, John tells us that two prophets will arise and be killed in the city where Christ was crucified. Their bodies will be left in the streets for three and a half days. After that time, they will be resurrected and be assumed into heaven before their enemies (Revelation 11:1-13). Therefore, prophets will continue to exist until the end.

what is the exact Catholic understanding of what a prophet is?

wasn’t John who wrote the book of Revelations the last prophet in any case?
:confused:

40.png
Apologia100:
The last prophet is Jesus Christ. Since he preached the ENTIRETY of the gospel while he was here 2,000 years ago, any other prophet would be filling the blanks that Jesus missed, making Jesus fallible. Since Jesus is infallible, and preached the full gospel, any other “prophet” after Him must be false.
🙂 This is not true. The Church teaches the Last and Greatest prophet was John the Baptist.

Catechism [523](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/523.htm’)😉 St. John the Baptist is the Lord’s immediate precursor or forerunner, sent to prepare his way.196 “Prophet of the Most High”, John surpasses all the prophets, of whom he is the last.197 He inaugurates the Gospel, already from his mother’s womb welcomes the coming of Christ, and rejoices in being “the friend of the bridegroom”, whom he points out as “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world”.198 Going before Jesus “in the spirit and power of Elijah”, John bears witness to Christ in his preaching, by his Baptism of conversion, and through his martyrdom.199

Luke 7:26 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.
27 This is the one about whom scripture says: ‘Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, he will prepare your way before you.’ 28 I tell you, among those born of women, no one is greater than John; yet the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."
Digital Deacon

🙂 This is not true. The Church teaches the Last and Greatest prophet was John the Baptist.

Catechism [523](javascript:openWindow(‘cr/523.htm’)😉 St. John the Baptist is the Lord’s immediate precursor or forerunner, sent to prepare his way.196 “Prophet of the Most High”, John surpasses all the prophets, of whom he is the last.197 He inaugurates the Gospel, already from his mother’s womb welcomes the coming of Christ, and rejoices in being “the friend of the bridegroom”, whom he points out as “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world”.198 Going before Jesus “in the spirit and power of Elijah”, John bears witness to Christ in his preaching, by his Baptism of conversion, and through his martyrdom.199

Luke 7:26 Then what did you go out to see? A prophet? Yes, I tell you, and more than a prophet.
27 This is the one about whom scripture says: ‘Behold, I am sending my messenger ahead of you, he will prepare your way before you.’ 28 I tell you, among those born of women, no one is greater than John; yet the least in the kingdom of God is greater than he."
Digital Deacon
Yes John the Baptist is indeed the last prophet.

Antonio
Campinas, SP, Brazil
I always understood it to be John the Baptist.

Mormons and Moslems alike both need to invent some kind of terrible affliction to the *message *of the prophets of God.

You need to believe that there was a major mistake made in the transmission to justify another prophet coming alone with the *correct *message.

I am so glad to learn that many Christians here do indeed believe that John the Baptist a.k.a. Prophet Yahya (pbuh) to Muslims, was a great prophet of God.

I wish to ask then that they apply their own ‘test of prophethood’ to John the Baptist in the same way that they are fervently applying this test of prophethood to Muhammad (pbuh):

What miracles did John the Baptist perform?

I am so glad to learn that many Christians here do indeed believe that John the Baptist was a great prophet of God.
Indeed, God made a promise to the Hebrews and he sent prophets to that people.

Moslems then have to invent a god who changes his mind and gives up on them and sends one 600 years after Jesus, to the Arabs - with whom no covenant was made
I wish to ask then that they apply their own ‘test of prophethood’ to John the Baptist in the same way that they are fervently applying this test of prophethood to Muhammad
He had prophecy. His birth was a miracle. He has, through prayer, interceded and performed miracles.
“…and St. Jerome bears witness to the miracles there wrought”
newadvent.org/cathen/08486b.htm

The miracle of Muhammed was that he got away with so much!

A prophet is a social reformer, and honest historian, using the principle that history repeats itself, always seeking God’s will in the criticism of present-day society. As such, many people are called to be prophets.

It is not really all that special, although many prophets have been very special.

Although I am not Baha’i, I appreciate many of their values and teachings.
We believe the Arabic in the Qur’anic verse “Khatimu 'n-Nabiyin” Seal of the Prophets, refers to minor prophets or Nabi
This is a very important insight.

For Baha’is the latest Prophet was Baha’u’llah who died in 1892. Baha’is don’t say Baha’u’llah was the “last Prophet”…only the latest One. Divine Guidance is supposed to follow through the Institutions established by Baha’u’llah in His Most Holy Book.
  • Art

I am so glad to learn that many Christians here do indeed believe that John the Baptist a.k.a. Prophet Yahya (pbuh) to Muslims, was a great prophet of God.

I wish to ask then that they apply their own ‘test of prophethood’ to John the Baptist in the same way that they are fervently applying this test of prophethood to Muhammad (pbuh):

What you mentioned isn’t really the Christian “test of prophethood” although I realize it’s mentioned a lot to try and discredit Muhammed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back