C
curlycool89
Guest
Why should they have to settle for Latin when they could have English?Obviously I’m talking about those who already sing the Ordinary of the Mass in English. Why should they have to settle for speaking parts of the Mass which they would normally sing when there are plenty of Latin settings? To opt for some Latin would be nothing less than Vatican II intended - it’s not beyond the average parish choir or congregation to sing the chants contained in Jubilate Deo which Pope Paul VI had hoped would provide a minimum repertoire for Catholics across the globe. Whether a parish is “conservative” or “liberal” is not really the issue - Latin is not (or shouldn’t be regarded as) an elitist language of the liturgy; it is within everyone’s reach & it is the Church’s desire that all Catholics should at least get a taste for it. That is why now is an opportune time to introduce some Latin chants.
I know you don’t like the sound of that, but I put it here just to add some perspective. What is considered “option B” would differ according to who you are and is very subjective. Many church-going Catholics would probably prefer spoken English to anything Latin.
In a couple parishes I’ve been to the Kyrie is already sung [although most people probably don’t know it’s pronounced el-eh-e-son (that’s a hard e in the middle there), not el-eh-son]. It’s not that odd to here the words “Agnus Dei”, “miserere nobis”, and “dona nobis pacem” substituted into the English version already either (where I am at least). The “Amen” is conveniently enough already perfect Latin
I wouldn’t want the longer prayers to be in Latin though because I’d just be robotically saying it without much actual meaning. Especially for the Creed because just saying it without knowing what you’re saying defeats the whole purpose (it’s saying what we actually believe). Reading a bunch of words in a language out loud for many people just means they’re following along with no concept of what they’re actually saying. For me at least, hearing one of those in another language is just a bunch of words; it has no meaning to me. When people are speaking in the mass they need to mean what they say, and I know that I can’t mean what I say unless I know what I’m saying.
It won’t really matter that much anyways because I’ve hardly ever seen the Our Father sung and I’ve never seen the creed sung, so those 2 in all likelihood will continue to be spoken in English. And I’ve heard so many settings for the Gloria that I have no doubt that in a few years we’ll have more than enough settings for the new english.