Least Favorite Songs at Mass

• Thread starter Thread starter ireland
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ireland

šŸ˜¦ What are your least favorite songs at Mass? I would like to nominate ā€œLord of the Danceā€ and ā€œHow Can I Keep from Singingā€.

ireland said:
šŸ˜¦ What are your least favorite songs at Mass? I would like to nominate ā€œLord of the Danceā€ and ā€œHow Can I Keep from Singingā€.

Iā€™m sorry to disagree with on your 1st post, but I LOVE ā€œLord of The Danceā€ especially when accompanied by guitar. I really canā€™t think of any church music I donā€™t likeā€¦

You donā€™t like those songs? Those are some of my favorites, though I like all the songs.

Very often, the reason I do not like a song is because someone has latched on to it (or heard it was a priestā€™s favorite) and ran it completely in the ground. ā€œRomanā€™s 8ā€ comes to mind. I like variety.

I especially dislike songs that seem to be about praising the Community rather than worshipping the Lord.

Iā€™m surprised by your two picks ā€“ what donā€™t you like about them? I used to love ā€œLord of the Danceā€ as a child ā€“ it sort of summarized the gospel in terms I could understand. I donā€™t necessarily think the traditional Irish melody is right for the Mass, but I think it would be a good song for Sunday school or vacation Bible camp.

40.png
bquinnan:
I especially dislike songs that seem to be about praising the Community rather than worshipping the Lordā€¦
AMEN!!! šŸ‘

ireland said:

:crying: Ouch! Two of my favorites!!! Why donā€™t you like them?

ā€œhow can i keep from singingā€ and ā€œlord of the danceā€ are terrible. i nominate both of those as being the worst. the funny thing is that ā€œhow can i keep from singingā€ is a shaker song. nothing like using protestant-cult songs in a catholic mass. Does anyone remember this bad folk song called ā€œsing hosanaā€? it keep repeating that over and over and finish with sing alleluia. it made me want to bash the guitar over the hippieā€™s head who was singing it.

ā€œHeā€™s got the whole world in His handsā€

ā€œIā€™m gonna drop down, turn around, touch the ground and praise my Lordā€

Any piano, guitar, banjo or hamonica music

Iā€™ve written on "The Lord of the Dance " on other threads.Funny, but we sing it to the Shaker tune ā€œTis the giftā€, I think the problem is the words are childish and simplistic.

Watch out for one called "Shine Jesus Shine "-Itā€™s a disguised soccer chant and the one called ā€œThe Servant Kingā€ isnā€™t much better.Must have been thinking about ā€œThe Lion Kingā€ (urrgh !)

There are so many-the bad far outweighs the good.Turning ā€œAnnieā€™s Songā€ into a hymnā€¦very irreverent.
Donā€™t you loathe the standard charismatic mass where one by one the congregation loll their arms in the air? itā€™s so forced.

I detest Lord of the Dance and How can I keep from singing, also. ā€œItā€™s hard to dance with the devil on your back?ā€ This is appropriate for Mass how?

At the parish where my husband is assigned, on Christmas Eve Midnight Mass, they has someone singing, ā€œMary Did You Know?ā€ - I turned to my sons, they both rolled their eyes and said, ā€œOf course She knew.ā€ This same choir, on Palm Sunday, sang ā€œHo-Sanna, Hey-Sannaā€ from Jesus Christ Superstar as the processional. Of course, the priest loved it. :rolleyes:

At my real parish, one of my favorite Communion hymns is ā€œLet All Mortal Flesh Keep Silent.ā€ That, and ā€œPanis Angelicus.ā€

I disllike Eucharistic songs (e.g. ā€œWe Come To Tell His Storyā€, ā€œWe Are the Body of Christā€) that focus on the community and not the more substantial presence of Christ on the altar? Such songs are fine in other places of the mass, but Communion songs should focus on the Eucharist.

40.png
Disillusioned:
Donā€™t you loathe the standard charismatic mass where one by one the congregation loll their arms in the air? itā€™s so forced.
I think you may just be asking some of the wrong people! This isnā€™t a Charismatic loathers forum! What has this got to do with least favorite SONGS?

If you want to criticise Charismatics, go join one of the other threads about this subject. There, I will respond to your comment ā€œso forcedā€!

When I returned to the Byzantine Catholic Church, I found the songs rather shorter and to the point in lyric contentā€¦and of course we sing (chant) the Psalms.

However now in the Byzantine Rite, I mostly feel uncomfortable about the off key singing and lack of not singing the Tones in the correct melody.

(We have 8 specific musical melodies ā€œTonesā€ that are rotated every 8 weeks. There is a different melody every week, when we chant the responses (Psalms and the Prayers) for a particular Sunday-these are known as the Kontakion and theTroparia.

Singing in a Byzantine Catholic Church is very beautiful if it is sung correctly. YES, it is more difficult to sing in a choir, but it is also accapelic!

WIth all that said as for talent, I can understand why you donā€™t like certain songs. IF songs were sung the way they were meant to be sung and played with the proper instraments, then a song like ā€œPeace is flowing like a Riverā€ can be actually pleasant. :rolleyes: Lyric contentā€¦thatā€™s a whole different story!

Go with God!
Edwin

My least favorite by far, is the ā€œWe eat what we becomeā€ā€¦I think that is how it goes. This was the theme for First Communion in our parish last year. I guess this goes along with praising the community instead of The Lord. Another least favorite and often used, at least in these parts, is ā€œSing a New Churchā€ The old church is perfectly fine by me.

40.png
kmmd:
My least favorite by far, is the ā€œWe eat what we becomeā€ā€¦I think that is how it goes. This was the theme for First Communion in our parish last year. I guess this goes along with praising the community instead of The Lord. Another least favorite and often used, at least in these parts, is ā€œSing a New Churchā€ The old church is perfectly fine by me.
ā€œWe eat what we become?ā€
Does that mean, if I eat a lot of ice cream, does that mean I become ice cream? :eek:

It just goes to show that songs today are not written with good Catechism in mind. Or at least not considered.

Go with God!
Edwin

For referrence purposes, here are the lyrics for ā€œLord of the Danceā€

I danced in the morning when the world was begun, and I
Danced in the moon and the stars and the sun, and I
Came down from Heaven and I danced on the earth, at
Bethlehem I had my birth.

Dance, then, wherever you may be. I am the Lord of the
Dance, said He. Iā€™ll lead you all, wherever you may be, I will
Lead you all in the dance, said He.

I danced for the scribe and the Pharisee, but they
Would not dance and they wouldnā€™t follow me,
I danced for the fishermen, for James and John, they
Came with me and the dance went on.

Dance, then wherever you may be. I am the Lord of the
Dance, said He. Iā€™ll lead you all , wherever you may be, I will

I danced on the Sabbath and I cured the lame, the
Holy people, they said it was a shame, they
Whipped and they stripped and they hung me high, and they
Left me there on a cross to die.

I danced on a Friday when the sky turned black, itā€™s
Hard to dance with the devil on your back, they
Buried my body and they thought Iā€™d gone, but
I am the dance and I still go on.

They cut me down and I leap up high,
I am the the life thatā€™ll never, never die, Iā€™ll
Live in you if youā€™ll live in me,
I am the Lord of the Dance said He.

Note concerning the above posted song: ā€œLord of the Danceā€ was written in 1963 by a member of the Anglican Church named Sydney Carter. The tune was taken from a Quaker hymn.

Sydney Carter wrote:
"I see Christ as the incarnation of the piper who is calling us. He dances that shape and pattern which is at the heart of our reality. By Christ I mean not only Jesus; in other times and places, other planets, there may be other Lords of the Dance. But Jesus is the one I know of first and best. I sing of the dancing pattern in the life and words of Jesus.
Whether Jesus ever leaped in Galilee to the rhythm of a pipe or drum I do not know. We are told that David danced (and as an act of worship too), so it is not impossible. The fact that many Christians have regarded dancing as a bit ungodly (in a church, at any rate) does not mean that Jesus did.
The Shakers didnā€™t. This sect flourished in the United States in the nineteenth century, but the first Shakers came from Manchester in England, where they were sometimes called the ā€œShaking Quakersā€. They hived off to America in 1774, under the leadership of Mother Anne. They established celibate communities - men at one end, women at the other; though they met for work and worship. Dancing, for them, was a spiritual activity. They also made furniture of a functional, lyrical simplicity. Even the cloaks and bonnets that the women wore were distinctly stylish, in a sober and forbidding way.
Their hymns were odd, but sometimes of great beauty: from one of these (Simple Gifts) I adapted this melody. I could have written another for the words of ā€˜Lord of the Danceā€™ (some people have), but this was so appropriate that it seemed a waste of time to do so. Also, I wanted to salute the Shakers.
Sometimes, for a change I sing the whole song in the present tense. ā€˜I dance in the morning when the world is begunā€¦ā€™. Itā€™s worth a try".
I find the correlation to Christ as the piper mentioned in the first paragraph most interesting and revealing. I am sure that the Peid Piper comes to mind immediately for most of us, and I suspect that was what Mr. Carter meant by that comment. One problem though, is what that refers to. The Peid Piper according to the story came into a German town on a Sunday (he had done a service for the mayor who refused to pay him for driving out the rats) when all of the parents were at Mass, and played his pipe and it cast a spell on all of the children would could not refuse to follow it, the piper lead them all out of town and into a cave which closed after them. The Peid Piper is Satan.

Aside from arguably heretical lyrics, it is clear that the author is far from a Catholic as may be imagined. One might question if he is even a monotheist when he says ā€œBy Christ I mean not only Jesus; in other times and places, other planets, there may be other Lords of the Dance.ā€

I absolutely detest this song particularly if sung at Mass. I vote it for worst song.

Where in scripture did Jesus dance, or is this part of the early church tradition?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back