Leaving the Left

  • Thread starter Thread starter mlchance
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mlchance

Guest
Leaving the left
I can no longer abide the simpering voices of self-styled progressives – people who once championed solidarity
Keith Thompson

Sunday, May 22, 2005

Nightfall, Jan. 30. Eight-million Iraqi voters have finished risking their lives to endorse freedom and defy fascism. Three things happen in rapid succession. The right cheers. The left demurs. I walk away from a long-term intimate relationship. I’m separating not from a person but a cause: the political philosophy that for more than three decades has shaped my character and consciousness, my sense of self and community, even my sense of cosmos.

I’m leaving the left – more precisely, the American cultural left and what it has become during our time together.

I choose this day for my departure because I can no longer abide the simpering voices of self-styled progressives – people who once championed solidarity with oppressed populations everywhere – reciting all the ways Iraq’s democratic experiment might yet implode.

(Click the link above for the rest of the article.)

– Mark L. Chance.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top