Lies, Damned Lies, and Alyssa Milano

  • Thread starter Thread starter JimG
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
To draw people in from the full spectrum, you have to be a beacon of consistency. And Catholics from the full spectrum must lead the way.
I am with you 100% on this.
The pro choice people aren’t interested that the unborn is a life.
This is not necessarily true. I did not consider the unborn a life, a valuable life, until I saw in a video the tiny feet and heartbeat of an 8 week old child. It was a presentation by a pro-life group. But the important thing was not only the factual information, but that I was not rejecting the pro-life people outright. I listened because I trusted; I listened and heard because I was open-minded to what they had to say, and I might not have been open-minded if they had made the presentation with a judgmental approach, ranting about the sin of abortion, etc.

The group was welcoming, nonjudgmental, and accepting of people where they are. All of this is very important.

A core experience I have is that my grandfather’s first wife was told by her doctor that if she were to have a second child, she would not survive. Unfortunately, she became pregnant, and the doctor told her that unless she had an abortion, she would not survive. She went to a priest, and he told her not to have the abortion. My grandfather pleaded with her to have the abortion, but she refused.

She died during or before childbirth, and so did the child. My grandfather was devastated, of course, as well as their young daughter.

Though I am a grandson of his second wife, the family story did not endear me to the priest’s position.
 
Last edited:
OK I accept it isn’t always true, but it appears to be politically true.
 
OK I accept it isn’t always true, but it appears to be politically true.
Is there “political truth”?😄

I think that the biggest hindrance to getting people to accept the humanity of the unborn is that people do not want unborn personhood to be true. If we suggest that we can eventually have the technology to remove the child from one mom and put him/her in another, would they have the same underlying want driving their perceptions?

The idea that an unborn child is somehow less human than you or I (okay, perhaps in a temporary coma) is completely unscientific. It takes some serious denial to see otherwise.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top