Literal/None Literal Stories

  • Thread starter Thread starter SnakeMauler
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can give you true Catholic teaching about Adam and Eve from the universal Catechism.
Can’t get better “official Catholic documentation” than that.
👍
That’s what I’m looking for. 😉
May I respectfully advise you to go to the horse’s mouth? If that saying is not a familiar one in your neighborhood, it means going straight to the source of Catholic teaching.

Real Catholic teaching regarding Adam and Eve is found in the
Catechism of the Catholic Church, Second Edition, ISBN: 1-57455-109-4
Paragraphs 355-421.

The good news of Jesus Christ follows in Paragraph 422, etc.
I will read that. I may not right away, because I’m a very slow reader.
One can put the word paragraph and the number in the Catechism’s search bar in link www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm Entering topics is also very useful.
Thank you. I’ll check that out. Usually I use the catechism on the USCCB web site (my copy was destroyed in a fire), but I hate the search engine on that site. It’s OK if I already know where to look, or know how to find it in the table of contents.

Alan
 
That’s what I’m looking for. 😉

I will read that. I may not right away, because I’m a very slow reader.

Thank you. I’ll check that out. Usually I use the catechism on the USCCB web site (my copy was destroyed in a fire), but I hate the search engine on that site. It’s OK if I already know where to look, or know how to find it in the table of contents.

Alan
The picture which really got to me was the one of the chair. All I could think of was thank God, you weren’t sitting in it asleep at your desk.:crossrc:

Speaking of being a slow reader, there are a few paragraphs in that section that I have had to read and reread many times. Maybe it is because some are so awesome that it takes me awhile to realize what God actually did when He created us.

When you enter a paragraph number, like “paragraph 355”, and then click on the opening line, CCC Search Result - Paragraph # 355 you will see the following under the paragraph:

» Enter the Catechism at this paragraph
» Table of Contents
» Index
» St. Charles Borromeo Home

That first paragraph is a winner. Imagine being in God’s “friendship”. 😃
Friendship is a wonderful, important, yet serious word with me.

Blessings,
granny

John 3: 16 & 17
 
Granny,

Thanks for making it easier. I didn’t read it all yet, but of what I did read, this paragraph struck me as interesting, and I think germane to this discussion:

CCC said:
375 The Church, interpreting the symbolism of biblical language in an authentic way, in the light of the New Testament and Tradition, teaches that our first parents, Adam and Eve, were constituted in an original “state of holiness and justice”. This grace of original holiness was “to share in. . .divine life”.

“the symbolism of biblical language in an authentic way” seems like it could be key.

Alan
 
Not being Catholic, my understanding from reading the fathers is that we are to read the Bible looking for Christ, find him there, and believe him.

No one has ever been saved or lost because of what they thought about Adam, Noah, or Uzziah, although what you believe about them may reflect what you believe about Christ.
 
Not being Catholic, my understanding from reading the fathers is that we are to read the Bible looking for Christ, find him there, and believe him.

No one has ever been saved or lost because of what they thought about Adam, Noah, or Uzziah, although what you believe about them may reflect what you believe about Christ.
Everyone has to be careful because secularists and some Catholics have decided that their “faith” exists outside of physical reality. For secularists, it is very important to keep publishing the lie that the Bible may contain good lessons or good ideas but that it does not contain any history. Recently, a Rabbi in California questioned whether or not the Exodus actually happened. Recently, a stone box was on TV that allegedly contained the bones of Jesus. And not that long ago, the plagues sent against Egypt by God through Moses were “explained” as a series of natural, coincidental events. Yes, they want you to believe that nature, Not GOD, caused all of that to happen. And yes, if even a few people lose their faith over this then that’s a few too many.

So, if anyone here believes they do not pray to the same living, historical Jesus then that is a problem.

God bless,
Ed
 
Granny,

“the symbolism of biblical language in an authentic way” seems like it could be key.

Alan
Regarding Catechism paragraph 375. I understand what you are saying. What caught my attention were the words “in the light of the New Testament and Tradition.”
Try putting the name “Adam” in the search bar of link www.scborromeo.org/ccc.htm

Blessings,
granny

The human person is worthy of profound respect from the moment of conception.
 
for good sound Christian answers to many if not most questions and problems raised here why not just try www.allaboutcreation.org - twinc
This is the section which interested me. “Original Sin: A Genetic Defect We All Share.” What am I missing? This may be Christian but it certainly does not sound like Catholicism.

Also, there seems to be some sugar coating. For example: “Adam and Eve: The First People to Disobey God. Adam and Eve were the first people to do something wrong.”

In reality, Adam and Eve are the sole parents of all people. Thus, it is their particular human nature which is transmitted to their descendents.

Blessings,
granny

The search for spiritual truth leads to Catholicism.
 
This is the section which interested me. “Original Sin: A Genetic Defect We All Share.” What am I missing? This may be Christian but it certainly does not sound like Catholicism.

Also, there seems to be some sugar coating. For example: “Adam and Eve: The First People to Disobey God. Adam and Eve were the first people to do something wrong.”

In reality, Adam and Eve are the sole parents of all people. Thus, it is their particular human nature which is transmitted to their descendents.

Blessings,
granny

The search for spiritual truth leads to Catholicism.
to be exact Adam and Eve were the sole parents of Cain and Able and some others - twinc
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top