J
jinc1019
Guest
Hi Everyone,
I have visited every single denomination, read the Early Church Fathers, and have really taken the time to study scripture carefully. Having done all of that for countless hours, I came to the conclusion that the Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, and orthodox Anglicans are closest the apostolic faith.
However, one huge problem I have had with Catholicism for a long time now is papal authority (I don’t want to discuss papal infallibility). I have been persuaded by the case made by Orthodox and Anglicans that the Pope did not historically EVER have the authority the Church claims today. The history, in my opinion, leans in favor of their claims (but I admit it’s not definitive).
With that said…I am ONLY interested in the truth, and if a reasonable AND logical argument can be made for the Pope, I would definitely be willing to accept the authority of the Holy See.
I have read Scott Hahn, Steve Ray, Brant Pitre, etc. on this issue (as well as countless others), and while I am willing to accept that authority was passed down from bishop to bishop, I have yet to see a really definitive reason to believe that the Bishop of Rome should have more authority than the rest.
Matthew 19 very clearly grants the “binding” and “loosing” authority to the other Apostles, and Jesus even says that when two or three are gathered in His name, He is there with them (talking to, at least, the Apostles).
I know Peter was the Bishop of Rome, but he was also the bishop of other historic churches BEFORE being Bishop of Rome…So why does Rome hold the authority the other seats do not?
What I would really love is a strong, logical, reasonable case for the authority of the Pope. Historical arguments are fine, but I have read nearly all of those and I don’t think the history really definitively answers the question.
As always, I am very grateful for your time and help in my spiritual journey.
God Bless,
Justin
I have visited every single denomination, read the Early Church Fathers, and have really taken the time to study scripture carefully. Having done all of that for countless hours, I came to the conclusion that the Catholic Church, Orthodox Church, and orthodox Anglicans are closest the apostolic faith.
However, one huge problem I have had with Catholicism for a long time now is papal authority (I don’t want to discuss papal infallibility). I have been persuaded by the case made by Orthodox and Anglicans that the Pope did not historically EVER have the authority the Church claims today. The history, in my opinion, leans in favor of their claims (but I admit it’s not definitive).
With that said…I am ONLY interested in the truth, and if a reasonable AND logical argument can be made for the Pope, I would definitely be willing to accept the authority of the Holy See.
I have read Scott Hahn, Steve Ray, Brant Pitre, etc. on this issue (as well as countless others), and while I am willing to accept that authority was passed down from bishop to bishop, I have yet to see a really definitive reason to believe that the Bishop of Rome should have more authority than the rest.
Matthew 19 very clearly grants the “binding” and “loosing” authority to the other Apostles, and Jesus even says that when two or three are gathered in His name, He is there with them (talking to, at least, the Apostles).
I know Peter was the Bishop of Rome, but he was also the bishop of other historic churches BEFORE being Bishop of Rome…So why does Rome hold the authority the other seats do not?
What I would really love is a strong, logical, reasonable case for the authority of the Pope. Historical arguments are fine, but I have read nearly all of those and I don’t think the history really definitively answers the question.
As always, I am very grateful for your time and help in my spiritual journey.
God Bless,
Justin