Looking for cheap dinner suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter twk001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Chicken thighs instead of chicken breast.

I dip them in flour, them and sautee in a bit of olive oil and a bit of butter. Then when they are golden brown, I take them out, and put them on the side.

Then I add chopped veggies (normally onion, carrot, celery) when veggies start to become translucent, I put chicken back, then a liquid- about a cup (could be water, stock, can of broth, leftover wine) cover and cook on low until chicken is cooked through.

You can use whatever seasoning you like. I serve it with rice, or noodles, or pasta.

Chicken thighs tend to stay juicy.
 
Don’t forget about breakfast for supper. We’ve had many omelet & toast, pancakes, or french toast suppers when money is tight and the freezer is lacking meat. My hubby is a big meat eater, but no one in my family complains about french toast or pancakes.
 
I buy meat in large packages divide it into dinner size servings when I am ready to fix a meal it is just me so you will have to adjust it to the size of your family I fry or bake my meat boil a potato and mash it then I add a non starchy vegetable you can get frozen fairly cheap or sometimes I make soup here are two recipes

QUICK AND EASY CHILI
2 pounds hamburger
i onion chopped
1 32 ounce can chopped tomatoes
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vinegar
1 16 ounce can tomato sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
3 tablespoons chili powder
Brown hamburger in large skillet drain fat add remaining ingredients mix well simmer on low 45 minutes This freezes well and the recipe can also be doubled I usually make a big batch of this when I can get the five pound packages of hamburger on sale

BEEF VEGETABLE SOUP
16 ounces beef steak
2 15 ounce can chopped tomatoes
2 large potatoes peeled copped
1/2 cup frozen corn
1/3 cup shredded cabbage 3 carrots peeled chopped
1 onion chopped salt to taste
pepper to taste
4 sticks celery finely chopped
cover beef with tomatoes and enough water to fill soup kettle bring to a boil remove steak cut into small pieces add onion and other vegetables to liquid in soup kettle simmer on low one hour return beef to soup kettle simmer 40 minutes or until vegetables are tender salt and pepper to taste you can also double this recipe and it also freezes well
 
OP, don’t know if you have children, or how many you have, but this recipe can be made for <$20 and you will have left overs for a few days:

Roasted Port (Cuban Style)

*One pork shoulder (package has to say “Picnic Pork”, and the meat has to have the bone in it, as well as the thick flap of skin on the bottom ($10-$15)

*One red pepper

*One green pepper

*One onion

*One tomato

*One head of garlic

*Bunch of fresh cilantro

Chop all of the vegetables and puree them in a blender.

Place the pork in a large roasting pan (on the bottom of the pan though - not on a rack). Stab the pork shoulder several times with a sharp knife (you want to make slices all over it so the sauce can get into the meat) and pour about 1/3 of the blended mixture on top of it (you can freeze the leftover mixture). Cover the meat VERY TIGHTLY with aluminum foil. (This is important for the slow cooking because you don’t want ANY steam to escape.)

Put it in an oven at 280-290 degrees and slow cook it for about nine hours. I leave my oven on when I’m not at home to make it, but if you’re not a SAHM you could ask a neighbor to check on it occasionally, or roast it overnight or over the weekend. When it’s done, the meat will fall right off the bone - it’s tender, juicy, and delicious! 👍

Side: I usually make this with a side of saffron-flavored rice and fried plantains
 
I love frozen vegetable mixes, somebody needs a Nobel prize for that. They can also be good with rice and perhaps fried chicken chunks. Skipping all sorts of pasta because you’ve already mentioned it.
 
How many people are you feeding?

I am currently feeding six. I am finding the key to stretching a meal is side dishes.

For example, the other day I served eight- my in-laws came over- on 2 1/2 grilled steaks of a good size, creamed spinach, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden, homemade rolls, and homemade peach cobbler with ice cream. The sides were pretty easy to make (the spinach and the rolls took a little bit of work and some time). I made the dessert early in the day and it went together quickly.

Those sides can really stretch your meat and save you some money. And if you are choosing mostly vegetables and not filling it with starches it’s not bad. A garden can really help you offset the cost of vegetables, as can buying from a farmer’s market if the prices are good or buying frozen instead of fresh veggies.

Also, remaking leftovers is amazingly thrifty. You can make roast chickens or a pot roast (buy them on sale, of course!) and then remake the meat into leftovers later in the week- pot pies, chicken spaghetti, stews, soups, etc.

When all else fails, ask yourself: WWMD? (What Would Ma Do?) The woman made her own cheese and sausage, for crying out loud.

I ask myself that question all the time… WWMD?
 
If you want to try something different, go for some Eastern European dishes. They are filling and inexpensive: stuffed cabbage, potato pancakes, savory crepes, halushki, pirogi, etc. They may be more labor intensive, but worth it. 😉
Just reading that is enough to make one need an angioplasty! 😃
 
sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden
You touch upon a good point - if you have a yard, plant a garden. Although the squirrels are having a feast on my tomatoes, I am getting a good harvest of basil and oregano, plus I’m looking forward to the carrots and broccoli in a month or so. And if you have a fruit tree or two, that’s great as well.
 
I love frozen vegetable mixes, somebody needs a Nobel prize for that. They can also be good with rice and perhaps fried chicken chunks. Skipping all sorts of pasta because you’ve already mentioned it.
The Jolly Green Giant already got one. It’s called the Nobel “Peas” Prize.😃
 
I love my crock pot!

Our current favorite - Buffalo Chicken Sandwiches

3 lb boneless chicken
1 bottle (regular size) buffalo sauce (ie Frank’s or store brand)
1 pkg Hidden Valley ranch dry dressing mix (google recipes to make your own)

Throw in a crock pot. Cook on low 4 - 5 hours. Shred the meat. My recipe says to add 2 T of butter at this point; I never have. Serve on rolls. We’ve added cheese or blue cheese dressing but in all honesty, I can eat it straight without even a bun. This freezes wonderfully.
 
You’ve already mentioned that you have been serving leftovers (don’t forget about planned overs: make a larger piece of meat such as pot roast. Serve pot roast, mashed potatoes, veggies and gravy for the potatoes on night one. Night 2: make a totally different meal out of the leftover meat. Won’t seem like leftovers in the traditional sense: stew, stirfry, sheppard’s pie, soup etc. Pasta, HOMEMADE vs store bought soups, sandwiches (make your own sandwich fillings-again big meat idea here. Deli meat is very expensive compared to buying BSCB, marinating it and grilling/poaching it at home). Some other thoughts: crockpot-have one? if not, get one at a thrift store for $10 or less. Use cheaper cuts of meat, but the dinners have such flavor! Casseroles of all sorts, stir fry, bean and other alternative protein based meals/vegetarian meals. Eat what is on sale, pantry principal, home garden/farmer’s market (compare prices!), etc. See my blog for more specifics: CTonabudget.blogspot.com

Good luck!
 
HAHA!!! cute…i’m a bit embarrassed to say that a LOT of these recipes, i’ve already done. I have just grown SO accustomed to not cooking at home, that many of the ideas have escaped me. it’s great to be reminded of all the wonderful things I used to cook…a refreshing reminder that i probably am already on the right track, just need to focus and get organized!

DH and i are farm kids and moved to a city, and it became almost an olympic sport for us to eat out all the time. we slowed down a lot since we had two kids, but in the last school year we probably at out dinner 4 times a week at least, and lunch on the weekend. sad… as a result of our really bad habits we accrued a bunch of fat credit card debt AND each gained about 40 lbs.

i’m going to print out all these ideas and suggestions, make a weekly dinner chart along with the things that I’ve already planned for and we should be good for quite some time.

ps- my grannie was a polish immigrant so the Ukranian poster above is right up my alley! i make stuffed cabbage, homemade scalloped potatoes, homemade pierogis, headcheese, etc too!
 
Definitely check out CTMOMto4’s blog - she is a frugality guru!!! I’ll add a hotlink:

CT on a Budget

(I have no idea how she finds time to add photos and post so often. I suspect she has figured a way even to squeeze and stretch TIME.)

As for the rolls, the base recipe is from King Arthur Flour, here. If you want reliable recipes, this site is great. They also have bakers available for free, live, online chat, so you can ask questions about the recipes, get suggestions and discuss substitutions. Such a great resource!

My variation on theirs:

I use a KitchenAid mixer (stalked Craigslist for almost a year before finding one at a FABULOUS price). Dump in:

1 large egg
1 cup water
(or whey - I make greek yogurt & save the whey for baking, makes whole wheat items more tender)
2T butter, softened (I use unsalted)
1/4 c sugar (I use a little less)
2 c whole wheat flour (I grind it fresh)
1 1/2 c AP flour **if your family doesn’t care for a whole wheat taste, just swap the amounts using the bigger measure of AP & the smaller for WW. You just need 3 1/2c total flour, whatever the ratio you prefer. If you go over 2c WW, you will probably need to adjust the liquid to get a smooth, moist dough
1 1/4 t salt (or less, no big deal
1T instant yeast (if you use active dry yeast, you’ll need a little more)
  • Mix using the dough hook for 5 minutes or so. The dough will be smooth & moist but not sticky. You want it a little more wet than dough made with white flour, because the whole wheat needs more water to fully rehydrate.
  • Let rise until doubled, about 2 hours. (If it takes longer, let it keep rising.)
  • Shape & place on baking tray (may line with parchment). For large deli style sandwich rolls, make 8 per batch. For smaller, hamburger bun style, make 12-16 per batch.
  • Let rise another hour or so, until puffy.
  • Paint buns with milk. (This gives a beautiful bronze crust without being greasy like butter.)
  • Bake at 375F. In my convection microwave, it takes 10 1/2 - 11 minutes to bake one tray.
  • Cool on a wire rack.
These rolls freeze VERY well. My teen son makes these & texts his friends when they’re ready - you’ve never seen teenagers appear at the door so fast. And we get a lot of BBQ invitations now that people know I usually bring “the” rolls. :cool:
 
well, as I posted, my hubs got a great job. but we’re having to re-adjust our budget a bit. i’m looking for some cheap dinner ideas, and new quick recipes if anyone has. we’re already on the spaghetti, taco, soups, sandwiches, leftovers, beef/noodles, etc track. just thinking outside the box a bit. would appreciate any ideas!
Try making spaghetti with different kinds of meats and different sorts of veggies. My personal favorite is hot Italian sausage for meat (liberated from the skin, for health and texture reasons of course) and sliced, pan-fried zucchini for veggie.

I’m a big fan of breakfast for dinner. Bacon, eggs, toast, and OJ.

I would also suggest investing a crockpot and testing out different stew recipes. These are excellent precisely because you can use it to combine leftovers in new and interesting ways. Get a few bags of frozen veggies, some broth, and some sort of meat, and go nuts.

You might also get a pizza stone and experiment with different pizza recipes. Make them yourself, obviously, for health reasons. These can be delicious and nutritious if done right, and who doesn’t love leftover pizza? Throw some spinach and tomatoes on there, some BBQ sauce and grilled chicken… mmmmm.

Speaking of grilled chicken, that’s a good one too. When I was working out heavily last time, I would get 2-3 pounds of grilled chicken a week, marinade the heck out of them, grill them on Sunday, and then munch on them throughout the week as between-meal snacks and sometimes as meals themselves. There’s lots of good marinades out there, both in bottle form and pouch form, and you can also get creative and try some of your own. A good one is to use a fork and poke a bunch of holes in the chicken, then marinade them in pineapple juice for a few hours. Yum. Grill some veggies with them (zucchini, squash, onions, mushrooms, etc.) and go nuts.
 
Another idea for you, as you start planning - this is something you can keep in the freezer for those “Oh, crud” nights when you forget to take something out of the freezer 🙂

Pre-bake some pizza crusts. If you need a recipe, I can post what I use. I partially bake them in rectangles to fit a 1/4 sheet pan (more efficient storage & baking). I freeze them in a stack, separated by parchment paper so they don’t stick together.

I make a 5-6qt crockpot full of pizza sauce using a #10 can of crushed tomatoes ($3.49 or so at Costco & BJs these days, or use tomato paste as a base…lots of cheap ways to make VATS of sauce). Figure out how much you like on your pizza & freeze in that quantity. I use a muffin pan to freeze the portions & store bagged single-serve portions next to the pizza crusts.

Then I cut up favorite toppings & bag in snack-sized ziplocks. Sliced pepperoni, tiny meatballs, veggies, whatever I find.

Finally, I shred cheese & bag in snack sized ziplocks.

When you’re ready to make a pizza, grab a crust, sauce, toppings & cheese all in one swoop. Melt the sauce, assemble & bake (I use 375F for about 7 minutes). No fuss, no mess & everyone’s well-fed. And you’ve avoided the last minute “I guess we better eat out” trap!

As a bonus item, make a few batches of your favorite cookie dough some afternoon. Scoop it into cookie-portions, freeze on a tray and then store in a gallon ziplock. When you bake your pizza, you can also grab a dozen cookie balls to bake, making your dessert in a flash, too.

You can recruit the kiddos to help pack the baggies, too.
 
This is a favorite of ours. I serve it with tortillas or tortilla chips made in the oven.

Refried Bean Soup

¼ cup dehydrated onion*
1 30-ounce can refried beans (or 2 15-oz which are sometimes cheaper)
1 15-ounce can whole kernel corn, drained (liquid can be part of the 1 can of water)
1 15-ounce can water
¼ cup medium picante sauce or salsa
¼ teaspoon ground oregano or cumin
Sour cream or plain yogurt
Chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

In a 3-quart saucepan, mix together the onion, refried beans, corn, water, picante sauce, and oregano or cumin. Heat thoroughly. Top servings with a spoonful of sour cream or yogurt and a sprinkle of cilantro.

*If you use fresh onion (increased to at least 1/2 cup) sauté it in olive oil for a few minutes.

Tortilla Chips

The 6" corn tortillas are the perfect size for triangles, but any size
would work - you’d just cut them different. Brush olive oil on 1
tortilla, stack another & brush oil on it, & so on until you have 5
stacked up. You might want to turn the stack over & oil the bottom of
the first one. Cut the stack into 8ths & put triangles onto cookie
sheet. Sprinkle with salt or spices if you want.

Bake at 350 for 10 - 12 minutes, or until they are as crisp as you want
them.
 
There has been a wealth of excellent recipes and ideas so far, but another way to save some money, AND eat well is to purchase wisely. If there are any food coops near you, check them out. Some will save you a bundle and provide quality food, others are just a feel-good exercise for burnt-out hippies.
One outfit that I like is: bountifulbaskets.org/
They always have fresh healthy food, and it only costs $15. A word of caution tho- you MUST be there on time to pick up your food.If you don’t, it will be donated to charity. They really mean this. If they have a point near you, it is worth checking out. If they don’t, see if there are any others in your area.
Good Luck
:)🙂
 
1 small. onion, peeled and sliced
4 T olive oil [eye-ball it]
4 cans [15-oz size] butter beans
Liquid smoke [optional]
Salt
Dried heal of a multi-grain whole wheat loaf
Crushed red pepper [the pizza kind, optional]

Slice onion up and brown in a sauce pan with the olive oil.

Dump the beans in with onions. Rinse out cans with a little water; add water to beans. Slowly simmer for 20 minutes or more; stir often to avoid sticking. Add liquid smoke [if desired] 1 T at a time to taste. Add salt to taste.

I like to line the bottom of a soup bowl with a dried multi-grain heal broken up into bite-size pieces and pour olive oil over them, then add the beans. Sprinkle crushed red pepper on top if desired.

Makes 4 servings.

A variant of this recipe is to use 4 cans of S&W red beans [the brand is important] instead of butter beans.
Add 2 stalks of celery [leafs of the heart are best], chopped up. Add fresh crushed cloves of garlic to taste. The remaining ingredients are the same.

“The discovery of a new recipe brings more human happiness than the discovery of a new galaxy.” – Unknown
 
3 words…

Tater Tot Casserole!!

Everyone loves it and it is really ‘cheap’ and easy.

Ground beef / onion
Cream-o-mushroom soup
Frozen mixed veggies
Bag-o-cheese
Tater tots on top
This sounds great! Never heard of it. Thanks for sharing!!👍
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top