Looking for cheap dinner suggestions

  • Thread starter Thread starter twk001
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
… I am finding the key to stretching a meal is side dishes.

For example, the other day I served eight- my in-laws came over- on 2 1/2 grilled steaks of a good size, creamed spinach, corn on the cob, sliced tomatoes and cucumbers from the garden, homemade rolls, and homemade peach cobbler with ice cream. The sides were pretty easy to make (the spinach and the rolls took a little bit of work and some time). I made the dessert early in the day and it went together quickly.

Those sides can really stretch your meat and save you some money. And if you are choosing mostly vegetables and not filling it with starches it’s not bad. A garden can really help you offset the cost of vegetables, as can buying from a farmer’s market if the prices are good or buying frozen instead of fresh veggies.

/QUOTE]

You’re so right about side dishes! The more of those I make with dinner, the more of the main meat/entree there is leftover to use the next day for another meal… and everyone loves variety, too!
I’m so glad the original poster asked this question - there are so many great ideas here.
 
Here’s one I use regularly:

Pinto beans

1 bag dry pinto beans (or use large can)
apple cider vinegar to taste
vegetable oil
dash of Worcestershire sauce, or to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

If using dry beans, soak and prepare according to package directions. If using canned, just dump them in the pan with some water. Pour in the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until of desired consistency. The desired consistency can vary depending on how much money you need to save 🙂 The apple cider vinegar will also greatly reduce the amount of gas usually associated with beans, and adds lots of flavor.

I eat this with cornbread made from scratch:

2 cups cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients well and pour into greased pan. Cook 30 min at 400 degrees.
 
3 words…

Tater Tot Casserole!!

Everyone loves it and it is really ‘cheap’ and easy.

Ground beef / onion
Cream-o-mushroom soup
Frozen mixed veggies
Bag-o-cheese
Tater tots on top
That sounds soooooooo good!!! We ought to have a “Catholic Recipes” section here!

I have one which is just potatoes and hot dogs casserole.

Cut up a bunch of potatos
Put in a glass dish
On each layer of potatos put a layer of cut up hot dogs, and cut up onion, and a few sprinkles of flour (you can also use sausage, smoky links, etc.
Keep adding layers until the dish is full, then add a few pats of butter and about 3/4 cup of milk.
Bake at 350 for 30-40 minutes, taking out once-twice to stir (the flour and milk make a creamy sauce)
I also add chives on top

It’s really easy and good! My mom used to make it with hot dogs back in the day because she could not afford ham, and it’s actually better with hot dogs. :o
 
well, as I posted, my hubs got a great job. but we’re having to re-adjust our budget a bit. i’m looking for some cheap dinner ideas, and new quick recipes if anyone has. we’re already on the spaghetti, taco, soups, sandwiches, leftovers, beef/noodles, etc track. just thinking outside the box a bit. would appreciate any ideas!
Didn’t see your post that your hubby finally got a job!!!

👍:dancing::extrahappy: :clapping::bounce:

No ideas at the moment but will return with some of our favorites.

Oh, how about a baked potato filled with chili…cheese…etc. even taco meat. Makes a nice filling meal.
 
Here’s one I use regularly:

Pinto beans

1 bag dry pinto beans (or use large can)
apple cider vinegar to taste
vegetable oil
dash of Worcestershire sauce, or to taste (optional)
salt and pepper to taste

If using dry beans, soak and prepare according to package directions. If using canned, just dump them in the pan with some water. Pour in the remaining ingredients and simmer, stirring occasionally, until of desired consistency. The desired consistency can vary depending on how much money you need to save 🙂 The apple cider vinegar will also greatly reduce the amount of gas usually associated with beans, and adds lots of flavor.

I eat this with cornbread made from scratch:

2 cups cornmeal
2 tbsp sugar
4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup water
3 eggs
1/3 cup vegetable oil

Mix all ingredients well and pour into greased pan. Cook 30 min at 400 degrees.
BEANS AND CORNBREAD!!! One of my family’s staples growing up! When times were good, we had hamhocks in the beans!!! Yes, we always put vinegar on our beans, as well as broccoli. I never knew the reason but I still do it. Man, I miss having beans and cornbread…my family wouldn’t like it so sometime I will just have to fix it for myself.
 
I used to try and save money by making big “pot dinners” like soup, chilli, and spaghetti but I ended up over-eating because of it and I didn’t really save any money. Now I have my husband and he hates leftovers every night, so I had to make some adjustments so we could eat more healthy and still be cheap. My best recipies include a bag of cajon-flavored beans they sell for about two dollars, mixed with a small package of sausage and a diced tomato.

Our supermarket has a butcher and I’ve found we save a ton of money buy meat from the case rather than prepackaged. My mom is a dietician and she says that people generally eat two to three servings of meat in one sitting! So, instead of cooking a package of five bratwursts (which we would normally eat in one dinner with maybe one left over for lunch the next day) I buy two brats, cut them up and cook them in the skillet with one large potato and less than two dollars worth of fresh green beans. The whole meal could easily feed three and cost less than $5. I can do the same thing by purchasing one steak, one shish kabob, or one large pork chop and cooking them with a fresh vegetable.

Another cheap dinner is quiche. Two or three pieces of bacon, a potato, a handful of cheese, a splash of milk, and four eggs. I make quiches all the time for dinner. They feed four easily. I use the frozen pie crusts which are just under $2. Oddly enough, almost every written recipie I’ve seen for quiche involves creme and six eggs! I always end up throwing a good bit of the egg and creme solution out to avoid spilling it all over my oven. Really, creme isn’t at all necessary and you can easily get by on four eggs. The rest of the ingredients can be left-overs from other meals. I once made califlower quiche from left over roasted califlower and it was decadent! Be creative with your quiche!

My last favorite cheap recipie has four ingredients. A bag of egg noodles, a large zucchini, a can of diced tomatos, and a little parmesan cheese. No more than $4. You can add a little chicken breast or substitute whole wheat pasta to add a little substance. I’ve often gotten two meals out of that one.
 
I use my crock pot like it’s going out of style.

I have a ton of recipes for it…but one of the easiest and cheapest…is BBQ Chicken Sandwiches.

-boneless and skinless chicken breasts
-your favorite BBQ sauce (we like sweet rays)

I add extras like liquid smoke and spices.

Throw it all in the pot and let it go on low for 6-7 hours…after about 5 hours…go in there and shred the chicken.

Add some decent rolls and it’s delicious!

One more…

Package of good Brats (sausage)
Half an Onion…sliced up
one bottle of your favorite Beer (I’d recommend a fuller beer…we use Sam Adams seasonals)

5 hours on high…6-7 on low in the pot

Good rolls and good mustard!
 
i’m going to print out all these ideas and suggestions, **make a weekly dinner chart **along with the things that I’ve already planned for and we should be good for quite some time.

ps- my grannie was a polish immigrant so the Ukranian poster above is right up my alley! i make stuffed cabbage, homemade scalloped potatoes, homemade pierogis, headcheese, etc too!
This a grocery list are the two things that save money for me.

I also made a list of everything I make. And what I make with it. :eek: And I put each meal on an index card. On the front is the meal, on the back is a list of the ingredients. Like

Front : Meat loaf, rice, green beans (or other veggie )

Back : 2 lbs ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, etc. ; rice; frozen green breans.

Then when I am making my menu and grocery list for the week, I can pull 6 or 7 cards, check what I have on hand and then make my list. If you have a store that has good sales, you could pull cards based on what is on sale. 🤷
 
This a grocery list are the two things that save money for me.

I also made a list of everything I make. And what I make with it. :eek: And I put each meal on an index card. On the front is the meal, on the back is a list of the ingredients. Like

Front : Meat loaf, rice, green beans (or other veggie )

Back : 2 lbs ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, etc. ; rice; frozen green breans.

Then when I am making my menu and grocery list for the week, I can pull 6 or 7 cards, check what I have on hand and then make my list. If you have a store that has good sales, you could pull cards based on what is on sale. 🤷
I think I’m steaking this idea!
 
You can stretch ANY dish by adding either legumes, rice, and/or potatoes. Since they have pretty neutral tastes and textures, you can divide an expensive ingredient by half and substitute with one of the above. Or serve your meal on top of rice or potatoes.

Make your own broths and stocks in bulk and then freeze. Instead of throwing out the waste from a chicken dinner (bones, skin, unused meat, etc), for example, throw it in a big pot of water, bring it to a boil, and simmer for a few hours. So much cheaper than buying canned soups, and it can be the base of countless meals.

Re-use meat leftovers. For example, the other night I cooked steak in the crockpot. Instead of eating it as leftover steak the next night, I shredded it and made taquitos.

Corn tortillas are super cheap and can stretch any meal. My DH (who is Mexican) eats EVERYTHING with tortillas, down to macaroni and cheese! I’m not that big a fan, but you’d be surprised what tastes good wrapped up in a tortilla!
 
Not a recipe, but while you are looking for recipes try things with rice or beans. These are two really cheap staples.

As such stirfry with rice is delicious.
You have no idea. Beans are also very filling.
 
You have no idea. Beans are also very filling.
Especially kidney beans.

And combining beans with corn or rice makes them even more filling. Two of the most filling dishes I can think of are pintos and cornbread and a dish that is mostly kidney beans and corn served over rice.
 
You can stretch ANY dish by adding either legumes, rice, and/or potatoes. Since they have pretty neutral tastes and textures, you can divide an expensive ingredient by half and substitute with one of the above. Or serve your meal on top of rice or potatoes.

Make your own broths and stocks in bulk and then freeze. Instead of throwing out the waste from a chicken dinner (bones, skin, unused meat, etc), for example, throw it in a big pot of water, bring it to a boil, and simmer for a few hours. So much cheaper than buying canned soups, and it can be the base of countless meals.

Re-use meat leftovers. For example, the other night I cooked steak in the crockpot. Instead of eating it as leftover steak the next night, I shredded it and made taquitos.

Corn tortillas are super cheap and can stretch any meal. My DH (who is Mexican) eats EVERYTHING with tortillas, down to macaroni and cheese! I’m not that big a fan, but you’d be surprised what tastes good wrapped up in a tortilla!
You have no idea. Beans are also very filling.
Especially kidney beans.

And combining beans with corn or rice makes them even more filling. Two of the most filling dishes I can think of are pintos and cornbread and a dish that is mostly kidney beans and corn served over rice.
There is a reason the poor in Mexico pretty much subsisit on corn (in the form of tortillas), beans, and rice. Cheap and filling!
 
BEANS AND CORNBREAD!!! One of my family’s staples growing up! When times were good, we had hamhocks in the beans!!! …
The liquid smoke I suggested in #39 is a good substitute for ham hocks.
Yes, we always put vinegar on our beans, as well as broccoli. I never knew the reason but I still do it. …
I never tried vinegar before. Sounds good. If some are left over from another meal, I will add some Swiss chard. Mmmmm. Beans and greens.
 
This a grocery list are the two things that save money for me.

I also made a list of everything I make. And what I make with it. :eek: And I put each meal on an index card. On the front is the meal, on the back is a list of the ingredients. Like

Front : Meat loaf, rice, green beans (or other veggie )

Back : 2 lbs ground beef, eggs, bread crumbs, etc. ; rice; frozen green breans.

Then when I am making my menu and grocery list for the week, I can pull 6 or 7 cards, check what I have on hand and then make my list. If you have a store that has good sales, you could pull cards based on what is on sale. 🤷
:clapping:
 
well, as I posted, my hubs got a great job. but we’re having to re-adjust our budget a bit. i’m looking for some cheap dinner ideas, and new quick recipes if anyone has. we’re already on the spaghetti, taco, soups, sandwiches, leftovers, beef/noodles, etc track. just thinking outside the box a bit. would appreciate any ideas!
I love bacon, lettuce and tomato, not because it is cheap but because it taste good. And it’s not all the bad for you. Pick a rustic bread and use turkey bacon.

Pick almost any chili recipe.

Buy a small canned ham and make ham and bean soup, split pea and ham soup and scallop potatoes with ham.

Shrimp creole is terrific. Small shrimp are pretty inexpensive and they are always on sale, plus canned tomatoes and rice.

Potato leek soup

Spaghetti…buy ragu, cook some Italian sausage or ground chuck and add it in. Your choice of noodles.

For any of them above, if you can afford a bottle of wine, all the better. Many good wines can be had for $8 on sale. Have a glass each night and spread it over a couple of nights.
 
One of my husband’s favourite’s and mine too is when I make homemade chicken (or turkey or whatever I’ve got) pot pie - you can even do it with tuna - and i’ve done it with tinned as well. I do prefer the fresh but in a pinch… and if you’re not into making your own pie crust, you can always buy one of the cheap ones, let it thaw and then use it - I know if you’re not really used to working with pie crusts they can really show you how the cookie crumble…ok bad attempt at a joke…(if you want my recipie let me know)- also I do a bunch of these at once put them in the freezer - it’s a lot cheaper than certain brand names I won’t mention and our god children love them too
also as they’ve said prior to me - adding rice will make almost anything go farther
God Bless
Rye
 
Here’s another one I just discovered. Be forewarned though, because even cooked rice absorbs a huge amount of water, this can make enough for an army.

Tomato-Rice Soup

Leftover cooked rice
Large can of tomato sauce (or use tomato paste thinned down with water, but not spaghetti sauce because it is too thick)
Minced garlic
Vegetable oil
Crushed basil
Salt and pepper to taste
Water as needed (broth if times are good, or if you have it on hand)

Mix all ingredients well over medium low and bring to boiling, then simmer, stirring frequently. Because this is supposed to have the consistency of soup, keep adding water as necessary. This will thicken even more as it cools, and can be used as the base for future soup meals if more water is added. I am freezing two containers of this for later use as a base.
 
Why not have breakfast for dinner sometimes? Bacon/sausage/ham and eggs, or an omelette, or pancakes or waffles make a nice change!👍
 
Why not have breakfast for dinner sometimes? Bacon/sausage/ham and eggs, or an omelette, or pancakes or waffles make a nice change!👍
We do that often for several reasons. Generally mornings - especially when the kids were younger - were too hectic for much more than oatmeal. The “traditional” breakfast takes more time & often has more simple carbs than I want in the morning.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top