Looking for good catholic fiction!

• Thread starter Thread starter riabia
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
This might have been suggested already, but I don’t have time to read through the posts.

A great book that I felt had a similiar flavor to Bud’s books is How firm a foundation by Marcus Grodi at the Coming Home Network.

If you liked Bud’s books, this is a good choice.

Good Catholic fiction? How about G.K. Chesterton’s Father Brown series for mystery?

Walker Percey’s “Love In The Ruines” - Confessions of a Bad Catholic at the End of the World was a great read. I just finished it and enjoyed a lot.

I’ve also started “Eragon,” a 500 page book my 13 year old son read in two days. I don’t know if it is “catholic” but it seems to be a clash between good and evil.

40.png
kmktexas:
Although I haven’t read them personally, the books by Kristen Undser have been highly recommended to me several times. She is a Nobel prize winning author of two (that I know of) series of fiction - the Kristin Lavransdatter series and the Master of Hestviken series. They are medieval fiction.
EXCELLENT books!! Kristin Lavransdatter is wonderful – very long, and make sure you get a Penguin translation, and not the old english translation. It is on the www.cicdc.org Catholic Information Center (Fr. McCloskey of Opus Dei) list of must reads for Catholics.

I heard Joseph Pearce (author of Tolkien, Man and Myth), on ETWN today say that he’s working to promote a renaissance in Catholic fiction writing, which he feels can introduce many more people to the church. He gets a great turn-out at colleges to hear lectures on Tolkien’s Catholicism, when the same students would never go to a lecture on Catholic theology.
He says we have many fewer Catholic writers today than were extant in earlier centuries.
My question is: what kind of book by a Catholic would interest you more: a fantasy novel or a realistic novel? Which would be more likely to appeal to secular readers?

I’m just finishing up Mary Queen of Scots by Margaret George. George is not a Catholic (at least I wouldn’t think she is based on her books), and her book on Mary Magdalene goes very much against Catholic teachings. But the book on Mary Queen of Scots is quite interesting and I haven’t found anything in there yet that stricks me as thologically wrong. It is a rather fascinating story of a woman who struggles to keep her faith in the midst of Scotland’s reformation.
As a former Presbyterian, I was shocked to learn what was at the roots of my former faith. I can’t say that I know too terribly much about this period on time, so there might be some faulty history.
The other upside is that is is really, really long. Perfect for a vacation!

Somebody already recommended the Father Brown books, but you’d also enjoy “The Man who was Thursday” and “The Napoleon of Notting Hill.”

I also liked “The Clowns of God” by Morris West. Tolkien’s good, but I have tried the Silmarillion four times, and I think it is entirely unreadable.

40.png
Viki59:
I heard Joseph Pearce (author of Tolkien, Man and Myth), on ETWN today say that he’s working to promote a renaissance in Catholic fiction writing, which he feels can introduce many more people to the church. He gets a great turn-out at colleges to hear lectures on Tolkien’s Catholicism, when the same students would never go to a lecture on Catholic theology.
He says we have many fewer Catholic writers today than were extant in earlier centuries.
My question is: what kind of book by a Catholic would interest you more: a fantasy novel or a realistic novel? Which would be more likely to appeal to secular readers?
Joseph Pearce also appeared yesterday on our beloved Catholic Answers Live yesterday (June 24).

Go with God!
Edwin

40.png
blueyedmule:
Try out some Walker Percy. He and Flannery O’ Connor were both southern Catholics and bring that flavor with them in their writing. Both were excellent writers as well as faithful Catholics. Don’t expect thinly-veiled screeds aka “Left Behind” (or the soon-to-be followup “Right Behind” or the great finale “The Big Behind” 😉 ). Walker Percy, like O’ Connor, is serious good lit.

mule
I just purchased “Wise Blood” by Flannery O’Connor…am reading “Letters To a Young Catholic” by George Weigel and he highly regards her. I did a search on Amazon for her books and this was her first so I thought I’d start here. I need something different just now…🙂

40.png
JimmyV:
Walker Percey’s “Love In The Ruines” - Confessions of a Bad Catholic at the End of the World was a great read. I just finished it and enjoyed a lot.
I just finished that one recently as well. Very interesting book. AND very funny.

Without hesitation, G.K. Chesterton’s Father Brown stories. I would also recomend all of Jules Verne’s books.

Semper Fi,
  • Marines

One of my faves: A Philadelphia Catholic in King James’s Court by Martin DePorres Kennedy. Also can recommend the Father Brown mysteries.

Peace,
Linda

Auberon Quin:
Tolkien’s good, but I have tried the Silmarillion four times, and I think it is entirely unreadable.
C’mon AQ, give it another try, my 12 year old daughter has read it without a problem. Of course, it may be one of the most depressing series of stories I have ever read, so maybe you are better off not reading them. The book did give me an appreciation of death, I do not think I would like to live forever in a world where you witness war after war after…

Peace be upon you,

Nod

Yes! All of the authors I was going to mention have already been mentioned (esp. Graham Greene, Chesterton, and Tolkien. Read them!)

As for authors who aren’t Catholic but are still well worth the read, definitely dig up some C.S. Lewis. He is most popular for “The Chronicles of Narnia,” but he also wrote a fantastic space trilogy beginning with *Perelandra. *

One series of books I am crazy about is the “Mitford series” by Jan Karon. Even though the main character is an Episcopalian priest, the books are simply wonderful!!! The first book in the series is At Home in Mitford. Wonderful reading!

I recently read a Catholic novel about courtship and romance called Arms of Love by Carmen Marcoux. It’s an easy read and was very good, very Catholic. Also, Katherine Lively is another Catholic author whose book Little Flowers I just read and enjoyed.
Have fun!

ooooh yeah, I forgot a few. There’s a great novel called, A Miracle for St. Cecilia’s and don’t forget George McDonald’s *The Parish Papers. *Good stuff!!

Hello!

I am Family of 8’s sister, and a professional freelancer, columnist and novelist. I couldn’t help but offer my two cents on the realm of Catholic fiction. The reason for the lack of it is quite simple: there isn’t any. There are very few Catholic publishing houses, and those that exist concentrate on histories of the church and resource materials. No wonder – fiction sales are tough. Everyone and there brother will spend money on non-fiction, but far too many people rely on the library or borrowed books for fiction. Thus, fiction isn’t profitable for a house unless it’s bestseller material. Houses that carry midlist authors (those that sell only 5 to 10,000 books) rely on the bestsellers to foot the bill for the smaller books, allowing big houses to “take a chance” on a limited number of unknowns each year in hopes that they may by a fluke skyrocket to bestsellerdom.

On the bright side there are many Christian publishers of fiction, but few of these cater to the Catholic market. They concentrate on the evangelical prostestants that frequent the Christian book stores. This market is shifting as Christian fiction is now selling better in its own private niche in major stores such as Waldenbooks, B&N, and Booksamillion, while Christian book stores are tending toward gift items and biblical resources (per the above reasons. Few buy fiction). As this shift takes place, Christian fiction is becoming grittier and more real life than the sappy stories of the past, while still evoking Christian values.

My first book, (after 16 years of working at this, for those of you who are thinking of joining this game) will be published Spring 2006 by River Oak, a division of Cook Communications, and is titled A PIECE OF THE SKY. Is it Catholic? No. There are enough strikes against new authors trying to break into print without painting oneself into a niche. But it is based on my values as a Christian, written about a woman who holds a grudge against God at the beginning of the story, but through the course of events begins to understand her husbands growing Christian faith. She is not “saved,” she doesn’t come to some sudden change of heart, but rather a slow awakening to the love and power of God, which is in my mind much more realistic. The basis of the story is infertility, dishonesty between spouses, and the healing that must take place to mend their marriage.

If you want more Catholic fiction, you must do two things: Contact Catholic publishers (Ignatius, Sophia, Tan.) and tell them you want fiction, and then you have to BUY it. Buy lots of Christian fiction and support the market, or even that segment will disappear.

www.authorsden.com/MichellePBuckman

40.png
Nod:
C’mon AQ, give it another try, my 12 year old daughter has read it without a problem.
Your 12-year-old daughter is a better man than I am, then. For me, it’s like reading the begats, and all the names are too similar. I refuse to read anything for pleasure where I have to take notes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back