Looking for good clean fiction books to read

  • Thread starter Thread starter prolifewife
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
QUO VADIS!!! (Henrick Siencevicvz ??? polish.đŸ€· not correct spelling)

This is THE best novel you will EVER read anywhere! Am I right people? Come on! Any one else here read this?
 
Not entirely fiction, but the books by James Herriott will keep you entertained for hours.

How about the oldies but goodies–Dickens, the Brontes, Jane Austen?

Although written for a younger audience, I’ve always liked the Anne of Green Gablesseries. I read them when I just want to be entertained.

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Anne Burns–this book is like eating peanuts and you will laugh your way through it. Great Southern humor.

A Vision of Light by Judith Merkle Riley is a great historical fiction novel set in Medieval England, and it’s main character, Margaret of Ashbury is absolutely endearing. One of my favorite characters in the historical fiction category (which I love). Another great read in this category and time period is Ken Follet’s The Pillars of the Earth.

I will quit now before this post becomes 3 pages long.
 
About six months ago I read “Les Miserables” by Victor Hugo as I am in Germany and sometimes the English language books are thin on the ground so I buy whatever I can get my hands on (mostly classics).

All I can say is WOW. I could not put it down and at the end I couldn’t believe I’d only plonked down $10 for such an epic, epic experience.

It is really an incredible, incredible book.

Can you tell I liked it?
 
Even though they are written for a younger audience, I really enjoyed reading the Fairy Tales Novels by Regina Doman, including Shadow of the Bear, Black as Night, and Waking Rose. They have a good amount of suspense and mystery, and a little romance as well.

Also, I like Arms of Love and Surrender by Carmen Marcoux. Very positive and affirming of Catholicism.

Happy reading! 🙂
 
Nancy Moser writes clean, enjoyable fiction with overt Christian themes. I recently read A Steadfast Surrender, which is about a successful mosaic artist who is called by God to give up everything and become homeless. It was fun to read and it made me think about trusting in God and following Him even when we’re scared of where He wants to take us. Some other fiction titles by Nancy Moser are John 3:16, The Ultimatum, and The Quest.

Happy reading.
 
I like Debbie Macomber and Jodi Picoult. Macomber is a Christian, which shows through in some of her books, though not all. Picoult’s early work has some sexual suggestion, but her later stuff is clean (and better off without it – I get the sense a publisher pushed her into adding it).
 
If you like classics you might like novels by the Dumases - Alexandre Dumas Senior and Junior.

They wrote some great stuff - Count of Monte Cristo, Three Musketeers, The Man in the Iron Mask.

I found the Hornblower series of novels (by CS Forrester) wonderful too - got into them after the TV show came out.
 
I’ve always been a fan of Michael Crichton but would also recommend books by Louis L’Amour, Lee Child (especially the “Reacher” novels) and the “Pendergast” books by Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child.

I’ve also spent a lot of time reading biographies such as “Yeager”, George S. Patton: A Biography, and American Lion: Andrew Jackson. Essentually if the person lead an interesting life they will usually have good books written about them.
 
Pierced by a Sword, Conceived Without Sin, and House of Gold, all by Bud MacFarlane Jr.

Father Elijah, by Michael D. O’Brien.
 
Everyone here has great ideas. Jane Austen, GK Chesterton, CS Lewis, might I also add
Evelyn Waugh! Another brilliant fiction writer that, sadly, no one reads anymore-Brideshead Revisited, Decline and Fall, Scoop-all wonderful novels. I’ve read Brideshead Revisited several times-intense, beautiful, moving-I can’t think of any more over used clichĂ©s.

Also-The Jungle Books by Kipling, Nathaniel Hawthorne (the best pre-civil war American author, by far), Herman Melville (a distant second, but his short stories are quite good).
 
Everyone here has great ideas. Jane Austen, GK Chesterton, CS Lewis, might I also add
Evelyn Waugh! Another brilliant fiction writer that, sadly, no one reads anymore-Brideshead Revisited, Decline and Fall, Scoop-all wonderful novels. I’ve read Brideshead Revisited several times-intense, beautiful, moving-I can’t think of any more over used clichĂ©s.

Also-The Jungle Books by Kipling, Nathaniel Hawthorne (the best pre-civil war American author, by far), Herman Melville (a distant second, but his short stories are quite good).
Ah, Evelyn Waugh 🙂 I remember studying ‘The Loved One’ in high school many moons ago. A brilliant look at American foibles from the point of view of an outsider Brit (who lovingly sends up the foibles of his own people too).
 
Louis de Wohl’s novelizations of the lives of the saints (such as “Lay Siege to Heaven”, the life of St. Catherine of Siena) are great, but start with “The Spear”!

Like suspense? Mary Higgins Clark, queen of suspense and a Catholic, too!

Beverly Lewis’s books, set in Amish country, are also good.

Joanne Fluke’s Hannah Swenson murder mysteries (“Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder” is the first
 her latest is “Plum Pudding Murder”) are clean and funny!
 
Jan Karon’s Mitford series. Lovely. Bible quotes sprinkled throughout stories involving an Episcopal pastor (I believe) and the people of the town of Mitford. Hope filled, pleasant reading, good storylines and characters. 👍
 
I enjoyed reading The Man In White by Johnny Cash. Yeah, that Johnny Cash. It is a story about the conversion of St. Paul. During Johnny’s recovery from his ‘demons’ he found a kindred spirit in Paul and poured his life into researching his life and Jewish life. It was very well done and a quick read.
 
I like the Elm Creek Quilts series for some light-hearted reading. Also The Cat Who series of mysteries. Brock, Bodie, and Jake Thoene are some good authors. Brodie and Brock write mainly historical christian novels and Jake writes more modern action adventure types of books, also with a christian theme.
 
Oh my goodness, there are SOOOOO many great ideas here!! wow!
I’m going to add “Quo Vadis”, an historical novel about the persecution of the fledgling Christian church under Nero. It’s absolutely amazing.
Thomas Costain is also very good for historical fiction
 he has a ton of titles about many and varied important times in history, most of them published in the '40s and '50s
 i’m sure you can find many at your library.

One time, when I was sick with a stomach bug, i got through Les Mis. in 3 days, although i have to admit i skipped certain chapters (I really didn’t need a detailed analysis of the benefits of recycling human waste :eek: ). A minor miracle for a mother of 3 young children. Dh took the kids and put me in quarantine so no one else would get it. 😉 It was the best “vacation” I’d had in a long time!!
 
Francine Rivers
Janette Oke
Lori Wick
Andrea Boeshaar (my cousin)

All protestant Christian authors. (And very good I might add)
 
Jan Karon’s Mitford series. Lovely. Bible quotes sprinkled throughout stories involving an Episcopal pastor (I believe) and the people of the town of Mitford. Hope filled, pleasant reading, good storylines and characters. 👍
I almost forgot about these! I read the whole series a few years back, but never got around to the most recent one. Might have to do a re-read!

Also, Thomas Kinkaid (yes, the “Painter of Light”) came out with a series co-written with another writer, the “Cape Light” series. If I recall, it was pretty good and definitely clean!
 
Read my novels!

See the website in my signature.

Nothing heavy, no theological dissertations, and I won’t be winning any prizes for literature–just lots of skating and kids and fun, all with a God-centered viewpoint. The main adult characters are Catholic, and it shows.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top