S
SirEwenii
Guest
Faith is a gift, right? but faith is also an act of the will and I am looking for reasons for faith in the Church.
The reasons that I have begun to doubt the authority of the Church are the following:
-You have to engage in a great deal of "reading into: the the text of scripture to support Catholic doctrines, not the initial meaning of the texts, eg The Eucharist
-The early Church, while similar to the current Catholic Church in many ways was very different in many ways. At any stage of the Church’s history you would have been taught different things about many Church doctrines.
-You have to “read into” history to believe that certain doctrines were always believed for eg the Assumption: no evidence of this doctrine for many years
-The Church claims tradition is infallible, but only she can say what tradition is- thus the Church placed herself above both tradition and the Scripture, she is the only authority to be trusted.
I love the Church, I have grown up Catholic but when I see Our Lord at last when I die I cannot simply tell Him that I trusted blindly in the faith when such faith rebels against my reason.
I’m looking for reasons to believe.
The reasons that I have begun to doubt the authority of the Church are the following:
-You have to engage in a great deal of "reading into: the the text of scripture to support Catholic doctrines, not the initial meaning of the texts, eg The Eucharist
-The early Church, while similar to the current Catholic Church in many ways was very different in many ways. At any stage of the Church’s history you would have been taught different things about many Church doctrines.
-You have to “read into” history to believe that certain doctrines were always believed for eg the Assumption: no evidence of this doctrine for many years
-The Church claims tradition is infallible, but only she can say what tradition is- thus the Church placed herself above both tradition and the Scripture, she is the only authority to be trusted.
I love the Church, I have grown up Catholic but when I see Our Lord at last when I die I cannot simply tell Him that I trusted blindly in the faith when such faith rebels against my reason.
I’m looking for reasons to believe.