MrSnaith, I understand that you had good intentions regarding your post but when speaking about theology and especially about the mystery of Christ and the Church you have to be very careful with your words.
For example, the Apostle John writes that “God is love.” That statement is true.
Yet, if you tried to say the inverse, “love is God”, that would be heterodoxy and simply untrue.
Because love is only an aspect of God’s divinity, it is not God’s essence.
Its absolutely true to say, “the Church is Christ”, it is heterodoxy to say that “Jesus is the Church.”
I appreciate your correction, Amandil. As a matter of edification, please clarify how this is heterodoxy.
I understand the distinction you’ve made by analogy, but by your use of that particular analgy, you’ve confused the matter, for me at least. “God is love” is more like “Christ is the Church,” and “the Church is Christ” is more like “God is love.” Yet, you’re say the truth values are opposite in these cases.
To my mind, Christ is wed to the Church in the same way that, in Christ, God in wed to humanity. In Christ, the two natures of God and man become one, as a husband and wife become one. Yet, it is only true that God became man, and not that man became God. “God” is a bigger category, so to speak. Likewise, the Church as the mystical Body of Christ is the Incarnation brought to all men. As the Eucharist is the One Sacrifice made present to us throughout all ages, so too is the Church the Incarnation made present to us throughout all ages. And in the Incarnation, it is God who weds man, who unifies Himself to man, not the other way around. It is in this vision that I would assert that it is more true that Christ is the Church, Christ
became the Church, Christ is the Kingdom come, than it is to say that the Church is Christ. Christ is the identity of the Church, yes, but Christ is the bigger “category” so to speak (no, I don’t mean to reduce Christ to a categorical concept. I only use the word as a means of communicating the idea that Christ’s full identity isn’t found
within the Church, though the Church’s full identity is found in Christ). Thus, just as God is larger than love, and that God as love is love as it is perfect, and that there are lesser forms of love, so too, Christ is larger than the Church, and Christ as the Church is the Church as it is perfect, but also the Church is made up of lesser “Christs,” for that is what we are called to be as its members, little Christs. As such, I see it as more proper to say Christ is the Church than it is to say that the Church is Christ, though I aver that both are true.
However, all of that said, I do not wish to persist in error. So if what I have stated here is erroneous, please clarify how, exactly.