I
irishpatrick
Guest
A lot of people died, but Jacob did not do the killing (did he ever directly kill anyone?).I have the feeling that by the end of Sunday, we still aren’t going to have a consensus on whether Jacob is evil or not. There is ambiguity on this point due to the fact that Jacob is a man with godlike powers who uses them to influence people’s fate. A lot of people have died, and the question remains: Is Jacob justified in bringing them to an Island to die for a righteous cause?
Even if the cause is of the noblest import (saving the world from the Smoke monster’s machinations), one can always say that Jacob’s ethics are utilitarian: his end’s are noble, but his means are not. Utilitarianism is not exactly a virtuous moral philosophy for a board full of upstanding Catholics.
Having said all that, I will concede and eat crow if it turns out that Jacob’s motivation is not to save the world. Otherwise, I think it can be argued that he is fundamentally “good” in the Lost universe, given that this isn’t a Catholic show. Bonus points go to Jacob if there is a universe merge that undoes many or all of the deaths on the Island.
Jacob knew that MiB was trying to kill him; he knew that if MiB/Smokey left the island it would be horrific for the entire world. I think Jacob’s plan to secure a replacement for him if he died was a very good thing to do.
During WWII our leaders sent millions to fight knowing many would die. Were those leaders justified, or should they have just been pacifists and done nothing at all? Does Jesus call us to be pacifists?