LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting, Joe, I wasn’t too impressed with this one – I’m not sure why. Maybe we just have different tastes? I thought the pacing was slow for some reason. It might be because I knew (or thought I knew) that Richard came on the Black Rock (the way he dressed, the reference to being “in chains”, the BR being a slaver) so that revelation lost some of its drama.

You are right about Jack though. Even his mannerisms were similar to the old Locke.

My favorite parts were actually generated by Miles. His reference to the “two Jabronies” was funny and clever – glad to see the reference of an old show. And I thought his “Oh Oh” to Ben after Ben gets in trouble was delivered with real comic timing.

VC
 
I think this is the calm before the storm. I expect the next few episodes to be a bit slow while Locke completes his team and begins the final stages of his plan to leave the island. I thought it was strange that he did not decimate the rest of Illana’s team, but I suppose the “rules” forbid him from killing the candidates. He probably spared Illana to make a play at recruiting Ben as his replacement.

It looks like the Widmore thread has finally been picked up. I’m curious who’s side he is really on: MIB, Jacob, or his own. He predicted a war was coming to the island and was the past leader of the Others, so I think he knows quite a bit about MIB and Jacob.

I thought the best part of the episode was watching Richard grapple with despair in his lost faith in Jacob. A Richard-centric is coming up soon, and I hope they bring back a flashback to flesh out the slaver story and what his position is relative to the leader of the Others. That has been an ongoing question that needs an answer.

I also like how the audience is being played by the writers. Jacob’s motivations are ambiguous and we ask ourselves (as do the Losties) whether Jacob is good and whether he is worth following. Should we have faith in Jacob? Does all the bad that has happened have a justifying reason? Many people have followed Jacob’s purpose (or what they thought was Jacob’s purpose) and lost a lot. Ben lost his daughter. The Others committed great crimes in Jacob’s name (kidnapping Claire, terrorizing the 815 survivors, kidnapping Walt, etc.) and still died.

In the end, I think all the evil done in Jacob’s name was due to people imprinting their motivations and methods on to his straight forward, yet threadbare orders. I think Jacob will be redeemed in the end, although I personally would not follow someone who does not give his purpose and motivations up front.

[SIGN]Team Jacob. GO![/SIGN]
 
Richard being on the Black Rock was news to me. It wasn’t quite a shocker or anything - just one more fabric in the mosaic.

I loved Miles parts as well.

And it was hilarious when he outed Ben as Jacob’s killer and the tap-dancing Ben attempted to do.

Ben’s redemption was interesting on both sides. Michael Emerson did a phenomenal job during Ben’s explanation to Ilana. He really brought me in. Especially at the end when he said in reference to Locke “he’s the only one who will have me”.

Widmore’s presence is curious. I don’t know if it was a flashback or something a character said or what, but he mentioned the war coming and that the wrong side would win - so he must be on one of the sides.
although I personally would not follow someone who does not give his purpose and motivations up front.

[sign]Team Jacob. GO![/sign]
Completely off topic {i think?} - but this made me think of God. I don’t even pretend to TRULY know His purpose or motivation yet I try to follow Him. I sometimes feel like Richard & Ben - I feel like I follow God but He doesn’t seem to ‘care’ about me. {Granted, I know that’s not true but I have to admit sometimes I feel that way}
 
Much like the early Catholic Church? We must proceed by faith.

Today, there a plenty of Mysteries not fully explained or “proven” (by the secular world).

A litmus test will be to catch either “smokey Locke” or “Jacob” in a lie.

God would never Lie and Satan is The Liar.
 
Widmore’s presence is curious. I don’t know if it was a flashback or something a character said or what, but he mentioned the war coming and that the wrong side would win - so he must be on one of the sides.
It’s quite fitting that Widmore made his reappearance in this episode. He and Ben’s interaction contrasts flash-sideways Ben’s interaction with the Principal. Both the Principal and Widmore were in positions of power that Ben wanted. With Widmore, Ben ousted him, which ultimately led to Alex’s death. With the Principal, Ben took the other road, which led to Alex’s success.
 
So Kate made the journey back to the island to save and bring Claire back…and now she is just going to hop a sub with Sawyer and say adiosos? I am so hoping Smokey or Claire takes her out.
 
That’s what Kate does - she runs from all her problems. I don’t like Kate either; her cowardice makes her character hard to like. About the only time I thought she was noble, was when she stood up to Jack and tried to stop him from blowing up the nuke last season (although she ended up helping him in the end) and her effort to save child Ben from dying.

I didn’t really dig this episode. It was slow and barely advanced the plot. The flash sideways (like most of those this year) felt tacked on and extraneous. I feel like the last few episodes are just treading water until the series finale. The slow pace shouldn’t be happening after 5 years of questions and mysteries. The only episodes I have really enjoyed so far are the season premiere and the episode that dealt with the attack on the Temple. Next week’s Richard centric episode looks promising though.
 
I will say one thing about the flash sideways concept though - although they seem extraneous right now, I think they will pay off in the end. We just have to wait until the series finale to see how they tie in to the final resolution of the plot. I still believe that the sideways reality will provide the foundation for the character’s salvation through a merging of the two realities.

The characters in the alternate reality seem to have chosen the high road in many of the key decisions of their life. Examples:
  • Locke is marrying his sweetheart and coming to terms with his condition; he is not as alienated and lonely as in the original reality. He has given up on faith though.
  • Sawyer has become a cop and rejected a criminal life that the murder of his parents caused in the original reality (although he is still considering vengeance)
  • Kate claims that she did not kill anyone and may be innocent in the new reality
  • Sayid has given up on Nadia because he realizes his past will always haunt him. He is trying to come to terms with that past. Although it’s ambiguous whether this will happen after he shoots Keamy in cold blood to defend his brother’s family.
  • Ben rejects the temptation to use people to satiate his natural desire for power (he did not sacrifice Alex’s letter of recommendation in his bid to become principal).
Although the characters in the alternate reality still have issues and problems, they are not as helpless and messed up as those on the island. The alternate reality will probably become the dominant reality.
 
The characters in the alternate reality seem to have chosen the high road in many of the key decisions of their life.
Right Maeglin, I agree. And those flash sideways are always contrasted with a very similar concept on island.

But, what changed in the flash sideways reality?

Ready? I’ll give you my theory:

No Jacob.

That explosion not only prevented the Swan from being built (and sank the island? Possibly. But I think something else sank the island) but it also prevented Jacob from interfering in their lives. When I look at Jacobs suggestions I see them as the catalyst for what got those folks off track. So, no Jacob – and you’ve got the flash sideways reality. A better reality.

[SIGN]Down with Jacob[/SIGN]

VC
 
Jacob certainly seems to have been the cause of a lot of damage in many people’s lives. His interference damaged the Lostie’s lives, inspired that terrorist group “the Others”, and lead to the deaths of many visitor’s to the island (Rosseau’s science team, Dharma Initiative, Oceanic 815 passengers, Ajira passengers, possible Black Rock slavers, etc).

I still hold faith that there is a good reason for it though. [SIGN]Team Jacob[/SIGN]

I don’t think the incident caused the alternate reality Island to sink though (at least not directly). In last week’s episode it was revealed that Ben and his father Roger Linus left the island and the Dharma Initiative. Roger regrets leaving. They must have left early and before the incident occurred if it had a physical effect on the island.
 
So Kate made the journey back to the island to save and bring Claire back…and now she is just going to hop a sub with Sawyer and say adiosos? I am so hoping Smokey or Claire takes her out.
She went back to the Island to find the former Claire, the one that was sweet and loving. This Claire might be too unstable to reunite her with Aaron. But you are also presuming that she’s planning on leaving alone with Sawyer. She didn’t come up with the plan, Sawyer did.
 
Here are some of my observations and thoughts from last nights episode:

man in black seems to have mommy issues, i believe that Jacob and man in black are indeed brothers, and jacob was the one that was faithful and a good son why the man in black was the bad son who regarded his mother as a crazy and disturbed woman.

Charles widmore’s allegiance is very very confusing. One would assume that he is an ally of jacob based on him wanting to kill the man in black. But if we go back to season 5, the episode “some like it hoth” Miles was forced into Brahm’s van, (brahm of course being jacobs body guard kileld by smokey in the premiere) and Brahm tried to convince him to not go to the island with Widmore saying that he was playing for the wrong team. So with that coming to light, how can widmore be jacob’s ally? perhaps widmore is the third faction in this battle?

I think the locked room on the sub contains…drum roll pleaasseee…desmond!
 
Jacob certainly seems to have been the cause of a lot of damage in many people’s lives. His interference damaged the Lostie’s lives, inspired that terrorist group “the Others”, and lead to the deaths of many visitor’s to the island (Rosseau’s science team, Dharma Initiative, Oceanic 815 passengers, Ajira passengers, possible Black Rock slavers, etc).

I still hold faith that there is a good reason for it though. [SIGN]Team Jacob[/SIGN]

I don’t think the incident caused the alternate reality Island to sink though (at least not directly). In last week’s episode it was revealed that Ben and his father Roger Linus left the island and the Dharma Initiative. Roger regrets leaving. They must have left early and before the incident occurred if it had a physical effect on the island.
I concur. 🙂

I had that thought about Ben and his father, too. They had to have still been on the island when the incident happened. I noticed Miles mentioned his father last night. He was still on the island, too, right?

I thought last night’s episode was cleverly titled, at least. “Recon.” Sawyer was doing “recon” for Locke, but then he also was sort of "re"verting to his “con” man ways.

I agree that, in some ways, this season seems to be moving slowly in certain respects, but I guess they’re still setting the stage. I’m super excited about next week’s Richard-centric episode, though! 🙂
 
Here are some of my observations and thoughts from last nights episode:

man in black seems to have mommy issues, i believe that Jacob and man in black are indeed brothers, and jacob was the one that was faithful and a good son why the man in black was the bad son who regarded his mother as a crazy and disturbed woman.

Charles widmore’s allegiance is very very confusing. One would assume that he is an ally of jacob based on him wanting to kill the man in black. But if we go back to season 5, the episode “some like it hoth” Miles was forced into Brahm’s van, (brahm of course being jacobs body guard kileld by smokey in the premiere) and Brahm tried to convince him to not go to the island with Widmore saying that he was playing for the wrong team. So with that coming to light, how can widmore be jacob’s ally? perhaps widmore is the third faction in this battle?

I think the locked room on the sub contains…drum roll pleaasseee…desmond!
Good observations. If Jacob and MIB are brothers, maybe their mommy is the island. 😛

That’s a good call about Desmond. They have to bring him in at some point. This would be a good way to do that.
 
Here are some of my observations and thoughts from last nights episode:

man in black seems to have mommy issues, i believe that Jacob and man in black are indeed brothers, and jacob was the one that was faithful and a good son why the man in black was the bad son who regarded his mother as a crazy and disturbed woman.

Charles widmore’s allegiance is very very confusing. One would assume that he is an ally of jacob based on him wanting to kill the man in black. But if we go back to season 5, the episode “some like it hoth” Miles was forced into Brahm’s van, (brahm of course being jacobs body guard kileld by smokey in the premiere) and Brahm tried to convince him to not go to the island with Widmore saying that he was playing for the wrong team. So with that coming to light, how can widmore be jacob’s ally? perhaps widmore is the third faction in this battle?

I think the locked room on the sub contains…drum roll pleaasseee…desmond!
I think its Desmond too!
 
On the plus side for this episode, Team Locke is looking creepier and creepier. Claire has gone totally psycho. That Aaron doll of hers composed of animal parts is just disgusting, and she gets points for holding Kate’s hand after trying to kill her. Not to mention, Sayid is a freaking zombie now (Hurley called it!).

If I was Kate, I’d be strapping on my well-worn running shoes right now. Team Jacob is looking better and better.
 
Jacob certainly seems to have been the cause of a lot of damage in many people’s lives. His interference damaged the Lostie’s lives, inspired that terrorist group “the Others”, and lead to the deaths of many visitor’s to the island (Rosseau’s science team, Dharma Initiative, Oceanic 815 passengers, Ajira passengers, possible Black Rock slavers, etc).

I still hold faith that there is a good reason for it though. [sign]Team Jacob[/sign]
IF we go with the theory that the numbers are related to the Valenzetti eqution (ie end of the world stuff), then what are the lives of a few people in terms of Jacob protecting the island and possibly thus extending human existence? Or perhaps viewed in another way, Jacob “touching” these people and changing their lives - while it LOOKS like they’re messed up, because we haven’t seen the end results, maybe in the LONG run, it’ll be for their best. And if there are people who still CHOOSE bad, it’s not Jacob’s fault.

Widmore is interesting.

Sawyer playing both side is awesome.

“LaFleur” being the code word in the cop life and Miles being his partner - double awesome. 😃

Which is interesting since when he got off the plane and into the elevator with Kate and the cops and he noticed the cuffs, that he helped her out. {And an interesting ending with him ‘catching’ her.}

And once I saw the back of Sawyer’s date (Charlotte), I recognized her but later thought I wonder why it wasn’t that other woman that he had Kate go see when she returned home.

While I thought it was a bit slow, in retrospect, there was some neat nuggets in there.

Not to mention that Charlotte is easy on the eyes!
 
Not to mention that Charlotte is easy on the eyes!
No kidding. Charlotte’s never looked better. :eek: Didn’t really dig her before, but she cleans up well. 😃
 
MIB’s rant about his mom makes me more convinced that he’s a representation of Esau…

MIB: My mother was crazy. 'Long time ago before I looked… like this, I had a mother just like everyone. She was a very disturbed woman. And as a result of that… I had some growing pains – problems that I’m still trying to work my way through. Problems that… could have been avoided had things been different.

Kate: Why are you telling me this?

Locke: Because now Aaron has a crazy mother too.

Now consider the following excerpts:

"And Isaac prayed to the LORD for his wife, because she was barren; and the LORD granted his prayer, and Rebekah his wife conceived. The children struggled together within her; and she said, ‘If it is thus, why do I live?’ So she went to inquire of the LORD.

And the LORD said to her, 'Two nations are in your womb, and two peoples, born of you, shall be divided; the one shall be stronger than the other, the elder shall serve the younger. 'When her days to be delivered were fulfilled, behold, there were twins in her womb." - Genesis 25:21-24"

“Isaac loved Esau, because he ate of his game; but Rebekah loved Jacob.” - Genesis 25:28

Notice how he advises Kate that Claire is a ‘crazy mom’, but we see evidence that Claire may be coming back to her senses when Claire finally apologizes to Kate, and breaks down crying. I don’t think Claire is necessarily crazy, and if MIB is supposed to be some representation of Esau, then we may just be seeing his bias against his own mother coming out.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top