LOST season 6

  • Thread starter Thread starter AmberDale
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife claims (and I almost seem to recall) that when Rouseau found Sayid, she did some shock-therapy on him as well. And she talked about her island-mates getting infected. :hmmm:
That’s true and its a great observation. She did shock Sayid with electricity when she caught him in her trap in Season 1 and accused him of having “the sickness” that had infected her husband when they first came to the island. I wonder if she knew that electricity was a way to test for the sickness; I always assumed she was just torturing him to get information. Even so, its an interesting parallel.
 
Speaking of parallels…

Neither of the parallel threads is truly right: People that shouldn’t be there, meetings that probably wouldn’t be occurring, etc. Despite Jack’s best attempt their lives are still intertwined.

Is it thought that both “threads” will merge again and they’ll all be back on the island as it was supposed to be to begin with (like the first episode or season)?
 
Does Lost, and Lost fans expounding our crazy theories really sound this insane?

I guess it’s true, and it’s geeky, but boy is it fun. 😃
The beauty of LOST is that I can comment on it without having actually watched it for the past few years.

The program makes so little sense, that any nonsense has credibility.

Reminds me of “Naked Came The Stranger”.

Or, man-made global warming.
 
Monte: I can see how the show gets frustrating and seemingly ridiculous as it get more complex. It’s not the same as Season 1 and I think it appeals more to the sci-fi crowd now.

Godlovesthespek: The creators said in an interview that neither reality should be viewed as the correct one. The big mystery of the last season is how the two realities will be resolved. Some people do think that the series will end where it began: with Jack back on the island waking up and caught in an infinite loop. I hope this doesn’t happen.
 
The beauty of LOST is that since nothing makes any sense, they don’t have to waste any out-takes. They can use all of the film, since there is absolutely no need for continuity or story line.

As long as people tune in and as long as sponsors keep footing the bill.

Total incoherence.

At some point, they can start introducing new characters who were sitting in different parts of the plane or who were in one or another of the original Dharma bunch.

Or, if any of the actors run out of money, they can just pop back in for a week or two and then go back to navel-contemplation.

Reminds me of a soap opera. Susan Lucci’s character was married 12 times over the decades. None of it makes any sense. But its popular.

I have started listening to the radio. Somebody started a purely local talk show station. Just chatter; everybody calls in. Including me. Just pure fun. And the library has an new policy … all materials lend out for three weeks. No more mental acrobatics. And they use bar scanners on a computer kiosk so you can request ANY book.
 
Gee Monte, tell us what you really think.

I won’t presume to tell people which tv shows they should like, so I won’t try to convince you on the good points of the show. Still, with the exception of the love triangle, I think the show is far more sci-fi than soap opera now. It did have a lot of people drama earlier in the series that somewhat still pervades.

I’m not sure how talk radio and your local library is relevant to Lost, but if you have other interests then good for you.👍
 
I haven’t watched LOST in two years. One day I realized that although I had missed a couple of episodes, … it didn’t really seem to matter.

It was sort of like … Memento set on a tropical island.
 
It tried to get him to repent (that is what confession is really about, repentance).
I saw it as trying to push him into despair. It seems to me that he had repented, but the monster/MIB wanted him to believe that this wasn’t enough to make up for what he had done.

I think Jacob is good and the MIB evil in the sense that one has hope for humanity and the other doesn’t. That does not mean that Jacob is a Christ-figure in some orthodox sense. He may be manipulative. He may do evil that good may come. I have no reason to assume that the show will follow orthodox Christian doctrine or morality. But it certainly touches on some interesting themes!

Edwin
 
I saw it as trying to push him into despair. It seems to me that he had repented, but the monster/MIB wanted him to believe that this wasn’t enough to make up for what he had done.
Edwin
Hmm… but I remember Eko saying to the Yemi doppelganger (Smoke monster in disguise) that he did not regret what he had done as a drug smuggler because it was necessary for survival. Eko refused to repent at all. That was when Yemi disappeared and the smoke monster grabbed and killed him.
 
Hmm… but I remember Eko saying to the Yemi doppelganger (Smoke monster in disguise) that he did not regret what he had done as a drug smuggler because it was necessary for survival. Eko refused to repent at all. That was when Yemi disappeared and the smoke monster grabbed and killed him.
Maybe they can get that Twin Beech up in the tree and fix it up and fly it home. It looks to be in good shape. Sort of like in Flight of the Phoenix.
 
I think Jacob is good and the MIB evil in the sense that one has hope for humanity and the other doesn’t. That does not mean that Jacob is a Christ-figure in some orthodox sense. He may be manipulative. He may do evil that good may come. I have no reason to assume that the show will follow orthodox Christian doctrine or morality. But it certainly touches on some interesting themes!
I don’t think the show will follow strict Christian morality or doctrine either, but there sure is a lot of Christian themes, allegory, and imagery in the show. I always thought it was odd how Catholic the Christian elements are. I mean, Charlie was a good Catholic until he joined Drive Shaft, the Lamp Post Dharma station was built under a Catholic church, Eko was a fake Catholic priest who was brothers with a genuine and heroic Catholic priest. There was even one episode where Charlie attempts to save Claire’s baby by baptizing him (which Claire eventually does with Eko’s help). That’s a lot of Catholic imagery for Hollywood - and its used fairly neutrally (not mocking the Church like Davinci Code does). I think I read somewhere that one of the creators is a Catholic. That could explain it.
 
Maybe they can get that Twin Beech up in the tree and fix it up and fly it home. It looks to be in good shape. Sort of like in Flight of the Phoenix.
If only Sayid hadn’t been converted by the monster-brand water at the Temple, he would be able to fix it in a jiffy. Oh well. 😃

Tsk, tsk Monte… You should keep up! 😉
 
Hmm… but I remember Eko saying to the Yemi doppelganger (Smoke monster in disguise) that he did not regret what he had done as a drug smuggler because it was necessary for survival. Eko refused to repent at all. That was when Yemi disappeared and the smoke monster grabbed and killed him.
Why should he have repented? How do we know he didn’t get absolution through confession? He was Catholic, afterall. 🤷 Now, him being a fake priest was a bit odd.
 
But if he honestly confessed previously (which we never saw in a flash back), wouldn’t he still regret killing all those people as a drug lord (including desecrating Yemi’s church, being responsible for his death, and faking being a priest?). Eko said he did not regret what he did. Eko honestly thought he was seeing his brother the priest on the island, but refused the sacrament of confession because he said he felt no guilt.
 
Hmm… but I remember Eko saying to the Yemi doppelganger (Smoke monster in disguise) that he did not regret what he had done as a drug smuggler because it was necessary for survival. Eko refused to repent at all. That was when Yemi disappeared and the smoke monster grabbed and killed him.
You are probably right. I would need to see the episode again. I remember something of the kind, now you mention it, though I thought it was talking about his becoming a drug smuggler in the first place (which he did in order to protect Yemi, if I remember rightly).

I admit that I really, really liked Eko and wanted to believe the best of him:D I have never forgiven that smoke monster for killing him.

Edwin
 
If only Sayid hadn’t been converted by the monster-brand water at the Temple, he would be able to fix it in a jiffy. Oh well. 😃

Tsk, tsk Monte… You should keep up! 😉
Yeah, but.

You must have been out of the room, rummaging thru the fridge, when they did a pendulum hickup. There was a time warp [are they allowed to use the term “time warp”? Or is that patented by Startrek?]
 
I think I read somewhere that one of the creators is a Catholic. That could explain it.
It’s Carlton Cuse. He wasn’t one of the creators, but has been on board as the co-showrunner since partway through the first season. Some accounts simply say that he was “raised a Roman Catholic” (which could mean anything). But this great article says he is a “practicing Catholic” and goes on with some actual quotes about how important his faith is to him.
 
I thought it was talking about his becoming a drug smuggler in the first place (which he did in order to protect Yemi, if I remember rightly).

Edwin
He went with the bad people (drug lords) as a child to protect Yemi, yes. He killed someone as a child, so Yemi didn’t have to do it.
If he believed what he was doing to be for the better good, who are we to say where his heart truely was? We aren’t God. He may have been a “bad” man in the past, or what we perceive as bed. But he did change his future and turned his life around.
Is it better to continue to be a sinner or to change your life? Honestly, there are people who have done seriously horrible things and deserve a chance to change.
I think the smoke monster killed Eko, to stop him from building his church. 😊
Yeah, but.

You must have been out of the room, rummaging thru the fridge, when they did a pendulum hickup. There was a time warp [are they allowed to use the term “time warp”? Or is that patented by Startrek?]
actually, no. I think time warp was patented in “Rocky horror Picture Show” 😃
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top