Before I begin, I understand that it is not an accurate representation of Purgatory, but for the sake of simplicity (since everyone here ultimately agrees) I will refer to it as that…
I agree with you completely! Yes, it is a place of purgation, and there may be some mentally/emotionally/physically enduring things that must occur, but these are not in place for punishment in the sense of Hell, but rather in penance to make one’s soul pure to see the full glory of God, and someone on that path would likely not be sad about it, for there is no greater joy than to enter the Heavenly Kingdom.
That being said, I like to think that they were not entering Heaven from the Church, but rather beginning the journey through ‘Purgatory’. The ‘moving on’ could signify the journey ahead of them, and that begins with the full realization of their earthly lives. Perhaps Ben and the others weren’t ready to begin the journey, but they at least knew where to begin the second step. As for others, who never fully repented/changed (i.e. Michael), well he was left as one of the voices in the distance.
On a side note, did anyone else find it humorous that all of their ‘near-death’ experiences were actually ‘near-life’?