Y
yellow8yellowM
Guest
Here is my question, but please understand that I am still in RCIA and have a lot to learn…
We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves, but how far does this go? Should we love our neighbor who we know is evil? Should we love our enemy?
I have read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and his opinion is that we should love everybody, even the evil, because that person may just have just drawn the short straw and gotten an evil body (I am very broadly paraphrasing here). Your chance at entering Heaven is relative to your situation. The people with the easiest lives and/or the best genetic endowments have a greater responsibility to do good than the people, for example, that were born with Schizophrenia and had abusive parents.
My interpretation of all of this is that we should hope and pray for every single soul to enter Heaven, even the ones who appear to be the most evil. Our commandment is to pray for them and to love them and it is Jesus’ role to judge them when the time comes.
Am I way off base here?
We are supposed to love our neighbors as ourselves, but how far does this go? Should we love our neighbor who we know is evil? Should we love our enemy?
I have read Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and his opinion is that we should love everybody, even the evil, because that person may just have just drawn the short straw and gotten an evil body (I am very broadly paraphrasing here). Your chance at entering Heaven is relative to your situation. The people with the easiest lives and/or the best genetic endowments have a greater responsibility to do good than the people, for example, that were born with Schizophrenia and had abusive parents.
My interpretation of all of this is that we should hope and pray for every single soul to enter Heaven, even the ones who appear to be the most evil. Our commandment is to pray for them and to love them and it is Jesus’ role to judge them when the time comes.
Am I way off base here?