Lowest Divorce Rates in the Nation

• Thread starter Thread starter Catholicvegan
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Gilliam,

Did you fail to see the percent listings? They represent the number of marriage and percents that divorce!
This is a divorce rate per 1,000 population. Wouldn’t you do a divorce rate per 1,000 marriages, not population? Because you would expect a low divorce rate if the marriage rate was also low, wouldn’t you?

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Gilliam,

Did you fail to see the percent listings? They represent the number of marriage and percents that divorce! Surely you can understand that it’s a rate- meaning it isn’t the total number but the percent. Also, Gilliam, haven’t you noticed that the percent of coupled/married households in comparison with the total number of households is very similar for all the regions?
The appropriate statistics is divorces per marriages, not divorces per population.

Let’s say there are 2 states each with 1,000 people.

In State A, only 4 couples even bother to get married, the rest ‘shack up’. Of those 4 couples, 1 set gets divorced.

In State B, 100 couples get married. Out of those 100 couples, 2 sets get divorced.

According to the metric your article discussed, State A is more ‘pro marriage’ as their divorce rate ( 1 per 1,000 people) is lower than state B (2 per 1,000 people)

But in reality State B would have the history of stronger marriages ( 2 divorces per hundred marriages vs. 25 per hundred)

Do you see the difference?

The stats you published are meaningless, as they don’t provide the correct information.

Namely: What are the Divorce rates per 1,000 Marriages in each state?

By the way, all sorts of things affect marriage rates and divorce rates. As the population gets older, we should see the divorce rate go down a bit. As the war continues we should see marriage and birth rates go up a little.

Dear Brendan,

They are per 1,000 marriages. Obviously, they must be married in order to get a divorce.

Dear Gilliam,

Are you willing or not willing to accept the information I presented?

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Are you willing or not willing to accept the information I presented?
I can’t accept the numbers as presented. If you were to tell me that in State A 1/2 of the marrages ended up in divorce, that would tell me something, but to say that in State A that out of 1,000 people, x number divorce, that doesn’t tell me how many are married to begin with and how that compares with other states. Also, how old were whe couples when they got married. We know when people get married younger the marriages don’t last. To somehow present the numbers as you did and they infer it has something to do with being a ‘red’ or ‘blue’ state politically, I can’t buy it. Just not enough information. So, no I can’t accept your numbers as presented because they are useless to me.

I looked at the chart and it says per 1,000 population. Does that mean per 1,000 marriages? Does it mean per 1,000 marriages performed that year? Another glaring flaw is that there are several states that have data from different years–Louisiana data was from 11 years earlier, 1983. There’s no way to compare numbers like that. Also, did you notice that it was for where the divorces were obtained? That’s why Nevada had the highest rate–it’s the place for quickie marriages and quickie divorces.

We often hear the 50% divorce rate bandied about. That number comes from dividing the number of divorces in any given year by the number of marriages in that year. That gives you an absolutely meaningless number as couples don’t renew their marriages statistically every year. I’ve read that the true divorce rate is more like one-third. In other words approximately one-third of all marriages end in divorce. That number is further skewed by including second and subsequent marriages. When you take that out it’s less than 1/3 of first-time marriages end in divorce. It’s unacceptable, but not as bad as the commonly used numbers suggest.

I agree with Gilliam–the numbers are meaningless.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Brendan,

They are per 1,000 marriages. Obviously, they must be married in order to get a divorce.
That’s not what the article says. I says “The divorce rate per 1,000 population”

That is not per Marriage!

Those statistics are from the CDC’s ‘Vital Statistics’ report, and are per captia, not per Marriage!!

cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr51/nvsr51_10.pdf

While a useful tool to track population trends, it is meaningless for the discussion topic you proposed them for, namely do ‘Blue’ states have an overall lower divorce rate.

Dear Gilliam,

Even if people are getting married younger and that (in your opinion) mean that it is more likely that they will get divorced, does that excuse them from getting divorced?

Dear Brendan,

I fail to see your point in declaring that the divorces are per 1,000 population, allegedly not per 1,000 marriages. What difference does that make? 1,000 people are 1,000 people in any region in the U.S. The number of divorces, however, are clearly not same.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Gilliam,

Even if people are getting married younger and that (in your opinion) mean that it is more likely that they will get divorced, does that excuse them from getting divorced?
Personally, I’m not arguing the immorality of divorce. You will have to go to a Democratic pundant for that.

logo.cafepress.com/0/356074.505170.gif

Since the relevance of statistics depends entirely upon their context, it is wholly relevant. You’ve never taken a college level statistics course, have you.
40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Gilliam,

Dear Brendan,

I fail to see your point in declaring that the divorces are per 1,000 population, allegedly not per 1,000 marriages. What difference does that make? 1,000 people are 1,000 people in any region in the U.S. The number of divorces, however, are clearly not same.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Brendan,

It really doesn’t matter what the rate per 1,000 population is. What matters is the rate per 1,000 married couples.

In city A, you have 100 people, which includes 20 marriages (or 40 married people) and 2 divorces, you have a 2% divorce rate based on population but a 10% divorce rate based on the number of marriages.

In city B, you have 100 people, which includes 5 marriages (or 10 married people) and 1 divorce, you have a 1% divorce rate based on population but a 20% divorce rate based on the number of marriages.

Now do you see why counting per 1000 population doesn’t make sense?

40.png
Eoanthropus:
Look at that report. At the bottom it indicates that the information is divorces by state of occurrence, not by state of residence.
What does that have to do with anything? The state of occurence is the state of residence for at least one of the parties - it would be nearly impossible to do it by residence for split couples in different states. Regardless, the numbers are flawed for the many other reasons listed here - I’m just not sure what your point is with this.

To add to that, the states with the lowest divorce rates have been shown to have the best quality of life for children.
This is according to The Children’s Rights Council which puts out a list of top ten places to raise children. 1.
Maine
Massachusetts
Connecticut
Vermont
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Maryland
Kansas
Wisconsin
Iowahttp://www.gocrc.com/bestStates.html

40.png
GULaw:
What does that have to do with anything? The state of occurence is the state of residence for at least one of the parties - it would be nearly impossible to do it by residence for split couples in different states. Regardless, the numbers are flawed for the many other reasons listed here - I’m just not sure what your point is with this.
Why do you think Nevada had the highest rate? People go there to get a quickie divorce. Depending on the state laws, you don’t necessarily have to actually reside in a state to get a divoce there. That was just one more thing that made the numbers meaningless.

40.png
Catholicvegan:
Dear Brendan,

Please review my previous post on the subject ( post #22)

forums.catholic-questions.org/showpost.php?p=463491&postcount=22

That should show the difference between per population and per instance statistics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back