G
graciesings
Guest
I have a question. What is the Catholic view of the Lutheran sacraments? Is Christ present in the Lutheran Eucharist?
I am 17, and have been raised LCMS. I find myself seriously considering joining the Roman Catholic church, but am not absolutely sure about that. Meanwhile, the opportunity has opened up for me to be confirmed in the Lutheran church. I am still unsure whether or not I should do so.
In a way, I would rather not, because I don’t really want to join a church when I am not sure I agree with their theology and think I may switch soon. However, it seems to me that the Lutheran sacraments probably are the actual flesh and blood of Christ. I mean, God sees all these people counting on receiving grace from the Lutheran sacraments, surely He is there. Also, if Christ is powerful enough to rise from the dead, isn’t He powerful enough to be present in the Eucharist without being called and invited by a priest?
Also, I am very eager to receive the body and blood of our Lord. My parents haven’t gotten me my driver’s license yet, I have been waiting for about 18 months now, and “Yeah, we need to do that…” “We should probably get you more driving hours…” “You need to practice parallel parking…” “We’ll try to do that next month…” The main reason I have been wanting to drive is that then, I can choose where I am going on Sunday mornings. For now, until I get my wings, I am stuck home when my family doesn’t feel like church and at the Lutheran church when they do.
I enjoy the Lutheran worship. The Liturgy, readings, and hymns all mean a lot to me. But I’m very frustrated about being having joined no church and not receiving communion at all. I’ve heard many Catholics say that one shouldn’t receive the Eucharist in another church, but why? And how would that apply to me? Would the Lutheran sacraments still be beneficial? And to any Lutherans reading this, how much of a problem would it be if I joined the church with intentions to switch in a few months or a year? Is that something the pastor would need to know?
God bless you,
Grace
I am 17, and have been raised LCMS. I find myself seriously considering joining the Roman Catholic church, but am not absolutely sure about that. Meanwhile, the opportunity has opened up for me to be confirmed in the Lutheran church. I am still unsure whether or not I should do so.
In a way, I would rather not, because I don’t really want to join a church when I am not sure I agree with their theology and think I may switch soon. However, it seems to me that the Lutheran sacraments probably are the actual flesh and blood of Christ. I mean, God sees all these people counting on receiving grace from the Lutheran sacraments, surely He is there. Also, if Christ is powerful enough to rise from the dead, isn’t He powerful enough to be present in the Eucharist without being called and invited by a priest?
Also, I am very eager to receive the body and blood of our Lord. My parents haven’t gotten me my driver’s license yet, I have been waiting for about 18 months now, and “Yeah, we need to do that…” “We should probably get you more driving hours…” “You need to practice parallel parking…” “We’ll try to do that next month…” The main reason I have been wanting to drive is that then, I can choose where I am going on Sunday mornings. For now, until I get my wings, I am stuck home when my family doesn’t feel like church and at the Lutheran church when they do.
I enjoy the Lutheran worship. The Liturgy, readings, and hymns all mean a lot to me. But I’m very frustrated about being having joined no church and not receiving communion at all. I’ve heard many Catholics say that one shouldn’t receive the Eucharist in another church, but why? And how would that apply to me? Would the Lutheran sacraments still be beneficial? And to any Lutherans reading this, how much of a problem would it be if I joined the church with intentions to switch in a few months or a year? Is that something the pastor would need to know?
God bless you,
Grace