S
sainthumbert
Guest
In speaking of Luther’s anger, it is also notable that Luther would have taken a vow of celibacy and later abandon the vow.
By running off with a nun, no less! That adds another broken vow, a promise to God, to his tally.In speaking of Luther’s anger, it is also notable that Luther would have taken a vow of celibacy and later abandon the vow.
Keep on what you are doing. i would also read Rome Sweet Home by Scott Hahn who studied his way into the Catholic church. He was pretty anit-Catholic and even at one time detroyed his grandmother’s rosary.I’ve never really got the vibe that Paul was an angry defensive man. He had a very good sense of humour, I thought. I’m only just starting on a read through the Church Fathers, so I cannot comment on them. But Calvin, boy howdy, the arrogance and defensiveness just leaps out at you on the pages.
I find this whole Catholic vs Protestant thing very trying at the moment. I wish Jesus would just yank the scales off my eyes much in the same way He did with Paul. Sigh. I feel like I’m wading through tomes and tomes of theology without the background or education to actually figure it all out. And I’m terribly afraid of making a mistake in even thinking about turning to Catholicism.
Oh well, back to the studying.
Galatians 5.12 is pretty angry…I’ve never really got the vibe that Paul was an angry defensive man. He had a very good sense of humour, I thought. I’m only just starting on a read through the Church Fathers, so I cannot comment on them. But Calvin, boy howdy, the arrogance and defensiveness just leaps out at you on the pages.
I find this whole Catholic vs Protestant thing very trying at the moment. I wish Jesus would just yank the scales off my eyes much in the same way He did with Paul. Sigh. I feel like I’m wading through tomes and tomes of theology without the background or education to actually figure it all out. And I’m terribly afraid of making a mistake in even thinking about turning to Catholicism.
Oh well, back to the studying.
I think you might misunderstand what Lumen Gentium is saying. It says that elements of sanctification and truth exist outside the visible confines of the Church. It does not say that salvation exists outside the visible confines of the Church. Listen to a famous passage from St. Augustine.There are some things in Vatican II which seem to me to address some of Luther’s theses as well as later views:
- “This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him” (Lumen Gentium, 8). The document immediately adds: “Nevertheless, many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside its visible confines.”
I don’t think it need be understood that way. Here is Cornelius a Lapide’s commentary on this verse.Galatians 5.12 is pretty angry…
The Church already acknowledged this at the time of the Reformation. While Protestantism did not exist at that time, the separated Greek Churches did–and since their separation the Catholic Church always acknowledged that they had elements of sanctification and truth, most notably, true and valid sacraments.There are some things in Vatican II which seem to me to address some of Luther’s theses as well as later views:
- “This Church, constituted and organized as a society in the present world, subsists in the Catholic Church, which is governed by the successor of Peter and by the bishops in communion with him” (Lumen Gentium, 8). The document immediately adds: “Nevertheless, many elements of sanctification and of truth are found outside its visible confines.”
I think this is a good summary (through Catholic or Protestant eyes!As a Protestant, as I read Canon law and look at parts of Vatican II, I don’t think the Cathlolic Church gave up anything that really mattered. It didn’t change any doctrines, but seemed to just change some of its outward practices in trying to make the faith more accessible to its own and less denouncing to others. But those are my Protestants eyes looking at it.
I am not, nor have I ever been Protestant; so therefore I can only answer this from a “Roman” Catholic perspective. (I prefer Latin Catholic of the Roman Rite; but I digress…)Do you think that Martin Luther would have had a problem with the Catholic Church today? Do you think the concerns expressed in the 95 theses have been answered and “reformed” as he thought they ought to be? Do you think Vatican II addressed those issues and would have satiated his concerns?
In a word, is there still a reason for Protestants to protest Catholicism? As a Protestant, I am trying to see Catholicism through Catholic eyes rather than view it in the very Protestant tradition I am used to. I am trying to understand and see Catholicism for what it is rather than for what I’ve been told it is by studying the early Church fathers, Canon law, the Catechism etc. The Catholic Church then and the Catholic Church now are quite different in practice, although there are some doctrinal issues that still exist (which I am questioning and seeking clarity about).
I am just wondering whether the Reformation was heresy, or schism, or both. Seeking, seeking, and trying to understand.
Oh, there are plenty of non-Christians and lapsed Catholics who have no problem “calling the Church out” on all kinds of things both real and imagined. I think that if there were only ONE Catholic/Christian Church, the world would be a far better place. We would be solving the world’s problems and not wasting our energy fighting and debating amongst ourselves.It would be interesting to theorize on alternate history assuming Luther was born now and not five hundred years ago. Certainly the existence of multiple churches with numbers reaching near a billion can keep any other mega churches from corruption by calling them out.
Assuming the CC had all 32% of the Christians as Catholics, there would certainly be a better chance that they could abuse their power without protest.
As said in another post; Luther went against many other tenets of the Faith in addition to the papacy.As for your question, I think Luther would only object to the Papacy as it is now.
Or a need for it. A very good point on your part. Gold star for the day.I think that if the popes of the 15th and 16th centuries had been like the popes of the 20th and 21st centuries, there would have never been a reformation.
I think that ANYONE interested in theology, Christianity in general, or the Catholic Church in particular MUST be careful to not over-complicate things. It can be overwhelming! My wife became Catholic just last Easter, and her’s was a bumpy road before the “lightbulb came on”.I find this whole Catholic vs Protestant thing very trying at the moment. I wish Jesus would just yank the scales off my eyes much in the same way He did with Paul. Sigh. I feel like I’m wading through tomes and tomes of theology without the background or education to actually figure it all out. And I’m terribly afraid of making a mistake in even thinking about turning to Catholicism.
I think that’s a great way to look at it - because you’re correct. That’s exactly what Vatican II was INTENDED to do. It didn’t change the recipe or the meal; just the way it was presented on the plate (to use a metaphor).As a Protestant, as I read Canon law and look at parts of Vatican II, I don’t think the Cathlolic Church gave up anything that really mattered. It didn’t change any doctrines, but seemed to just change some of its outward practices in trying to make the faith more accessible to its own and less denouncing to others. But those are my Protestants eyes looking at it.
For various reasons, this isn’t quite an accurate representation of what happened.The other side of the “Protestant family” hails from Great Britain; and is a result of King Henry VIII wanting an annulment for the umpteenth time… The Anglican Church and all of IT’S offspring had no reason to “protest” whatsoever, and I personally see no justification for them leaving. They replaced the Bishop of Rome with the Archbishop of Canterbury and have never sought to reconcile. At least Luther’s position can be understood, if not condoned. Henry VIII’s position is indefensible.
.
I would suggest reading the latest book being promoted by CAF which is the Protestant Dilema. You are not quite accurate in your analysis of different branches and streams of thought in Protestantism. The book does go into some of the differences starting with the reformation. It is not as simplistic as you are grouping and not accurate.I think that ANYONE interested in theology, Christianity in general, or the Catholic Church in particular MUST be careful to not over-complicate things. It can be overwhelming! My wife became Catholic just last Easter, and her’s was a bumpy road before the “lightbulb came on”.
The TWO issues you must resolve for yourself are:
A: INTERPRETATION
and
B: AUTHORITY
So, DOES THE CATHOLIC CHURCH HAVE THE AUTHORITY TO INTERPRET SCRIPTURE OR NOT?
Once you can resolve that, I think the journey becomes easier. The Church can justify it’s doctrines from Scripture; you just have to accept it’s interpretation. It’s really that simple.
I think that’s a great way to look at it - because you’re correct. That’s exactly what Vatican II was INTENDED to do. It didn’t change the recipe or the meal; just the way it was presented on the plate (to use a metaphor).
I will pray for you. God bless.
.
I don’t think toilet jokes are worse than saying you’d rather your opponents castrated themselves! 1 and 2 seem more likely (i.e. recognising that the divine Scriptures have a human element; e.g. Paul’s big handwriting elsewhere!, on the one hand, and rhetoric on the other) than 3, which is rather wishful thinking on Augustine and Anselm’s venerable parts.I don’t think it need be understood that way. Here is Cornelius a Lapide’s commentary on this verse.
Ver. 12.—I would that they were even cut off which trouble you. Cut off from the Church and your fellowship, lest they corrupt the whole. Cf. 1 Cor, v. 3. This is the obvious meaning, and one befitting the dignity of an apostolic writer. However, Ambrose, Chrysostom, Theophylact, Jerome, Augustine, and others understand it of the total deprivation of the organ to which circumcision is applied, so as to bring it more closely within the scope of the whole passage, in which circumcision is the main topic.
It may be asked how the Apostle can rightly imprecate a curse on the Judaisers, since this is opposed to charity, and is a mark of impatience and of a revengeful temper. “So detestable,” says Jerome, “is the act of castration, that whoever inflicts it on a man against his will, or on himself, ought to be accounted infamous.”
None of these interpretations require us to interpret St. Paul to be speaking in the manner that Luther wrote in. St. Paul does not write letters in which he spends the entirety calling his opponents “asses” and buffoons" and making toilet jokes. yes, I know I am exaggerating Luther’s style but I think there is an immediately apparent difference between the Apostle’s writings and Luther’s.
- Jerome replies that the Apostle said this as a man and in passion; but God forbid that an Apostle, and one especially who was moved by the Holy Spirit, should so speak. Accordingly, Jerome gives another answer, according to which, like Peter to Simon Magus (Acts viii. 20), and Elisha to the children who mocked him (2 Kings ii. 24), he spoke, not in anger, but partly in zeal for righteousness, partly in love, and entreated that they might be punished through their sin, i.e., through circumcision, and so, when punished, be purged of their shame.
- Chrysostom and Theophylact say that the Apostle is not imprecating a curse, but speaking jestingly, as much as to say, If they insist on it, let them be not only circumcised, but wholly cut off.
- S. Augustine and Anselm think that there is no curse here but a blessing, as if he were to say, Would that the Jews would become spiritual eunuchs by chastity for the kingdom of heaven’s sake, and cease to preach Jewish circumcision, fixing their thoughts instead on heavenly things, and on the law of Christ, as the way to attain them. Of these three explanations the second of Jerome’s is the best.
sites.google.com/site/aquinasstudybible/home/galatians/cornelius-a-lapide-on-galatians/chapter-1/chapter-2/chapter-3/chapter-4/chapter-5
Possibly over-simplified? Maybe. My opinion? Definately. I am not a theologian, and don’t even play on on TV; but every single thing I have ever read, seen, or heard about the Reformation have either Henry VIII or Luther as the protagonists.I see Protestantism as having TWO very distinct origins; and I personally view them very differently. I have mentioned this in several other posts of mine, so those of you who have read them before; please bear with me.
The other side of the “Protestant family” hails from Great Britain; and is a result of King Henry VIII wanting an annulment for the umpteenth time… The Anglican Church and all of IT’S offspring had no reason to “protest” whatsoever, and I personally see no justification for them leaving. They replaced the Bishop of Rome with the Archbishop of Canterbury and have never sought to reconcile. At least Luther’s position can be understood, if not condoned. Henry VIII’s position is indefensible.
Sorry about that. Would you care to enlighten me about WHY Henry VIII REALLY left the Catholic Church?For various reasons, this isn’t quite an accurate representation of what happened.
How so? Weren’t Luther and Henry VIII the “first reformers”? Don’t all of the mainline Protestant churches spring from them?I would suggest reading the latest book being promoted by CAF which is the Protestant Dilema. You are not quite accurate in your analysis of different branches and streams of thought in Protestantism. The book does go into some of the differences starting with the reformation. It is not as simplistic as you are grouping and not accurate.
No, there were many more players.How so? Weren’t Luther and Henry VIII the “first reformers”? Don’t all of the mainline Protestant churches spring from them?
Hmm… How come the history books never talk about those guys?No, there were many more players.
Actually, Wycliffe and Hus precede them both.
Erasmus, Beza, Bucer, Bullinger, Calvin, Cranmer, Cromwell, Latimer, Knox, Melanchton, Tyndale, Zwingli… I may have forgotten some… But those should suffice.
And even before that in France during the Western (Papal) Schism there were others. I think this schism started up Wycliffe, Hus and the others that followed.
I did not include all the political players that took part in this…
I’m genuinely curious as to how and why Erasmus finds his way onto this list.No, there were many more players.
Actually, Wycliffe and Hus precede them both.
Erasmus, Beza, Bucer, Bullinger, Calvin, Cranmer, Cromwell, Latimer, Knox, Melanchton, Tyndale, Zwingli… I may have forgotten some… But those should suffice.
And even before that in France during the Western (Papal) Schism there were others. I think this schism started up Wycliffe, Hus and the others that followed.
I did not include all the political players that took part in this…
I’d be surprised if there are any histories of the reformation that don’t mention Calvin, Zwingli or Cranmer!Hmm… How come the history books never talk about those guys?I suppose the origins of the Reformation and the “major players” probably fill numerous volumes already; and that would turn a history class into a theology class.