J
Job42
Guest
Let me set up the following well-known hypothetical scenario: I am a German hiding Jews in his basement during the Holocaust. The Nazis knock on my door and ask me if I am hiding any Jews. Personally I would lie and say “No,” knowing full well that it is a venial sin. Then I would confess the venial sin later (or have it forgiven at Communion). Otherwise if I try to do what the Church says to do and tell the truth in a roundabout way so as to deflect the Nazis from their goal, they may interrogate me further and get the real truth out of me.
Does this make me a cafeteria Catholic?
…Also I don’t understand the difference between a “white lie” and telling the truth in what seems to me to be such a deceptive way. It seems to be the same thing to me. Can somebody help me understand the difference?
Does this make me a cafeteria Catholic?
…Also I don’t understand the difference between a “white lie” and telling the truth in what seems to me to be such a deceptive way. It seems to be the same thing to me. Can somebody help me understand the difference?