F
FanOfU2
Guest
Hello Everyone,
I’m a Southern Baptist, and as you know we do not believe in Christ’s literal presence in communion. However, I am starting to believe that when Christ said This is My Body, he was speaking literally.
Anyway, I own a MacArthur study bible, and wanted help refuting his notes on Luke 22:19
LUKE 22:19
"And when He had taken some break and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
MacArthur Study Bible Notes on Luke 22:19
“This is My body. I.e, it represented His body (c.f the words of 8:11, “the seed is the word of God”- and also v. 20). Such metaphorical language was a typical Hebraism. No eucharistic miracle of transubstantiation was implied, nor could the disciples have missed the symbolic intent of His statement, for His actual body- yet unbroken- was before their very eyes. See note on Mt. 26:26. do this Thus He established the observance as an ordinance for worship. remembrance of Me. Passover had looked forward to the sacrifice of Christ; He transformed the seder into an altogether different ceremony, which looks back in remembrance at His atoning death.”
I’m a Southern Baptist, and as you know we do not believe in Christ’s literal presence in communion. However, I am starting to believe that when Christ said This is My Body, he was speaking literally.
Anyway, I own a MacArthur study bible, and wanted help refuting his notes on Luke 22:19
LUKE 22:19
"And when He had taken some break and given thanks, He broke it and gave it to them saying, “This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me.”
MacArthur Study Bible Notes on Luke 22:19
“This is My body. I.e, it represented His body (c.f the words of 8:11, “the seed is the word of God”- and also v. 20). Such metaphorical language was a typical Hebraism. No eucharistic miracle of transubstantiation was implied, nor could the disciples have missed the symbolic intent of His statement, for His actual body- yet unbroken- was before their very eyes. See note on Mt. 26:26. do this Thus He established the observance as an ordinance for worship. remembrance of Me. Passover had looked forward to the sacrifice of Christ; He transformed the seder into an altogether different ceremony, which looks back in remembrance at His atoning death.”