Mad or mystic?.........Wake Up!..........

• Thread starter Thread starter BarbaraTherese
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, all.

I’ve read the thread, to this point, and have an
observation to make.
The West can learn a few things, from the East.

One of which is the concept of dukkha.
Dukkha is described as “craving” or “attachment.”
These operations give rise to many “sins” - to use
Christendom’s term, for this reality.

Now, in the East,* dukkha* is seen as giving rise
to suffering, and, further - same re-inforces a sense of “self.”

So, in the East:
-suffering exists
-craving and attachment are the source of suffering
-suffering can be ended, by learning not to be
attached, not to crave things, experiences etc.
-to come to realize satori] that there is no self

Translated, into Christian reality:
-sin exists
-craving and attachment can lead to sin
-leave these behind, through prayer, asking for grace

The critical difference, in these two thought systems,
resides in the view of the “self.” {Beyond the
obvious: there is a God…]

Self is to be, in a sense, “unlearned” in the East.
[hence, concepts such as “no-self.”]

The belief is that the “self” is merely a stream of
“experiences”…and that nothing can be pointed to
that constitutes a “self”, in reality. [Go with the flow!]

This concept, of course, is rejected in Christianity,
where we are to “transcend” self, by the grace of
God -not “deny” that a self exists.

The interesting thing, to me, in all of this is:

When a person who has “mastered” the
self that is not there, there is a serenity, there,
that I admire. For, after all, if no “self” exists,
“who” is
there
, to react in anger? “Who” is
there, to respond with pride?

In the East, the concept is:
All conditioned things rise, manifest, and pass away.

A person who “meditates” does so, in part, to learn
to recognize this reality. In some schools of
meditation, the idea is to sit quietly, following the
breath, as it enters and leaves the body, and to
note, with no sense of disruption:
“There is a sound.”
“There is a cramp, in the right leg.”
“It is very warm, in this room.”

And, after the “noting,” one returns to following the
breath.

What is the point, in all of this meditating?
To realize that each phenomenon rises,
endures, and…passes away. A sense of
equanimity arises, as a result of this practice.

The application?

Today, someone really hurt my feelings. I was
initially upset. After 15 minutes of this unpleasantness,
I realized: This is unpleasant. Yet, all things rise, endure
and pass away.
[Another *form of meditation, is to characterize
the flow of experience as it arises: pleasant, unpleasant,
neutral…neither pleasant, nor unpleasant.]

Perhaps this is what the Vatican website referred to,
in saying the deMello offered some observations,
from the East, that were “…valuable” in attaining
“self-mastery.”

As to the Vatican noting that deMello offered some
of the wisdom of the East, in terms of dealing with
the “viscissitudes” of life…

I felt much better, when I realized that my hurt
feelings were a temporary, passing thing…and
not to be “attached” to this unpleasantness,
or “crave” to get even.

Others around me didn’t experience the irritation,
that would have billowed out from my own sense
of hurt, if I had not appreciated the wisdom of the
East, in this regard.

Best,

reen12

I realize that Christ said: Heaven and earth shall pass
away, but My words shall never pass away…
and
The soul is not a “conditioned thing.” It is eternal.

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
More often than not the basis of this reaction is fear - fear of what is different.
Exactly. This fear goes by many disguises. Some think that fearing the Lord includes this type of fear, I guess, not being a connesseur, as it were, of fear like some of us “fraidy cats.”
… I sight your implication …
Bingo. This tells me everything. I knew you eyes were open, I just knew it. Yay! Happy Day! Oops am I making too much frolic over small matters again?

Barb, you don’t need me. It is I who need you to give me confidence the way you always do. Then again, I must be prepared for come what may, as we go together, neither a greater leader or follower than the other, through the rest of our days here on earth. I have no doubt that you have been, are, and will continue to be a “positive” influence for as long as time is indefinite. East will merge with west before any of that changes.

Good thing that in our minds unity is already there, lest somebody think this conversation was a setup. (OK so I’m paranoid – this psychotic dude thinks it might be time to gear up for the fight!)

OMG – never say “gear up” to an airplane pilot. Honestly, I cannot seem to win, but I’m happy in my poverty for words which lose meaning as soon as I see them on the screen. If I actually read the stuff I say I think I’d confuse myself for the many words through which evidently a simple message could have been gleaned.

Here’s my message to you: Barb, IMO you rock. Others can and have said their pieces, but you are 100% cool in my nook.
by your stating “cut from the same mould” and agree with it. This is not to say that the mystic and psychotic are one and the same,
No, but sometimes I’d like to think so – maybe I could get a paying job then – ever since Lucent (the “company of light” as I used to think) let me go as their most dedicated and effective engineer at solving interdepartmental conflicts and reducing time/cost of processes I touch by over 90% average, Bell Labs no longer thinks I can design their database support and intercultural processes.

It has improved my social life and family life, and I mean to show them some work that will make them wish they’d kept me. I suppose this is all about attention getting, when it comes right down to it, but I suppose also that this is the way it has been since Cain and Abel. Wonder which part I played? (I know of many who I don’t think I wish to ask.) Ahh, you know, I always was jealous of my Big Brother, but I wouldn’t hurt him just to take his glory – would I? He has never denied me and often gives me more credit than I deserve, though he tests the living daylights out of me – hardly a capital offense!

As one man once said, “Surely it is not I, Lord.” Sometimes I wonder, “is it?” :confused:
but cut from the same mould of ‘the different’ from the majority. A person suffering psychosis should no more wear a clearly derogatory term any more than any mystic.
LOL! I thought at first you had typed “any other mystic.”

Honestly, where will we look for the second coming, in the leadership or in the nuthouses. Is that a little bit like listening to a homeless poverty stricken person over a wise and learned theologian? I think truth is everywhere, and is in all including these very rocks below our feet, screaming to be heard by those whose ears can hear.

Hmmm. I’ll check those beatitudes again – I don’t remember one the crazy nutcases shall reign! Perhaps we are here to be used up and go away into dust, with only our memories left. :banghead:
There is a little story I have read somewhere that its like a student that never becomes a mathematician because he/she sights the answers at the back of the book and believes them. Incidentally the answers are quite correct.
Cool. The game is no fun if the outcome is certain. 👍

(Isn’t that a bit like what you wrote? Far be it from me to put words into your mouth, Barb… the job of the Priest is to put the Word into your mouth. I am simply not qualified for THAT role. Some things can’t be done over the Internet.)

Alan

Oh yes, I almost forgot my equipment.

Woop, woop! Make way for the noid contingent – coming through!

(Please Note: This uploaded content is no longer available.)

Hey I think I might have lost some weight since that photo … I’m pretty sure I haven’t missed any meals, so it must be a miracle! :whistle:

Alan

H i there Alan…
Exactly. This fear goes by many disguises. Some think that fearing the Lord
Fear of The Lord is stated as one of the seven gifts of The Holy Spirit. I dont see it either as a cringing fear, rather to know that God has certain very real rights (my deservings) over me that He could well exercise in Absolute Justice, which He withstays in my Hope because of His Loving Mercy to which I appeal. This is not a cringing fear, but a filial loving fear.
Barb, you don’t need me.
I tend to think that we all really do need each other. I am very fortunate indeed to have a spiritual director who is a highly regarded religious sister. As it says in The Divine Office: “every day as long as this day lasts keep encouraging one another”. Am I always thus, no way! - but then at times I can insight the truth of my motivations. There is nothing quite so warming to me as to have someone who agrees with me, and nothing like being so far out in the cold as having no one who does! This is simply human nature…our call is to strive to live not in the confines of our human nature and boundaries, but in the freedom of The Sprit. These remain words and empty words unless I live them out or strive to do so. Even St. Paul noted and recorded for posterity that he often fell short of his own ideals, wished he didn’t but saw no way out of it unless God clearly granted him the Grace to do so. This is entirely encouraging it also establishes a theological concept.
Good thing that in our minds unity is already there
I know we and some others have exchanged Posts elsewhere, where if we could not entirely agree on concepts we could disagree in an atmosphere of mutual respect. Or perhaps I certainly slipped up here and there and later amended my ways most usually because of the good example of another.
OMG – never say “gear up” to an airplane pilot. Honestly, I cannot seem to win, but I’m happy in my poverty for words which lose meaning as soon as I see them on the screen.
Words are merely labels as it were for concepts…and this is fine providing the words we use in common share the same concepts in common.
It has improved my social life and family life, and I mean to show them some work that will make them wish they’d kept me. I suppose this is all about attention getting, when it comes right down to it, but I suppose also that this is the way it has been since Cain and Abel. Wonder which part I played? (I know of many who I don’t think I wish to ask.) Ahh, you know, I always was jealous of my Big Brother, but I wouldn’t hurt him just to take his glory – would I? He has never denied me and often gives me more credit than I deserve, though he tests the living daylights out of me – hardly a capital offense!
True and if we are really honest with ourselves at least anyway we do insight the realities in motivation be they slight or major.
As one man once said, “Surely it is not I, Lord.” Sometimes I wonder, “is it?” :confused:
Strikes me as healthy pondering Alan.

Trust I have answered you adequately:o . I see Reen too has posted and I have not commented on her Post which may be as well lest I confuse the simplicity and directness of what she has to say. But I will get to it. Its only 7.05pm here but I’m getting ready to retire as I must get up very early and with a long day ahead of me…or long as I assess matters for myself.
I may post less, but I am trying anyway to keep up with things and certainly to try to answer anything directly to me etc.
You and I and incidentally Reen are on the same wave length even in dire disagreement because we do it in a spirit of unity, peace and mutual respect…we do not feel threatend by each other, no reason to do so an dif there ever was we have sorted it out already as I read matters?

Cheers Alan…Barb:)

40.png
reen12:
Hello, all.

I’ve read the thread, to this point, and have an
observation to make.
The West can learn a few things, from the East.

One of which is the concept of dukkha.
Dukkha is described as “craving” or “attachment.”
These operations give rise to many “sins” - to use
Christendom’s term, for this reality.

Much eding for space…Barb

I felt much better, when I realized that my hurt
feelings were a temporary, passing thing…and
not to be “attached” to this unpleasantness,
or “crave” to get even.

Others around me didn’t experience the irritation,
that would have billowed out from my own sense
of hurt, if I had not appreciated the wisdom of the
East, in this regard.

Best,

reen12

I realize that Christ said: Heaven and earth shall pass
away, but My words shall never pass away…
and
The soul is not a “conditioned thing.” It is eternal.
Hi Reen, due to a pressing time factor I cannot answer your Post giving it the attention I would like to give it although basically we agree but not absolutely so and I dont think this is exactly news to us Reen where our concepts are concerned altho I do maintain a spirit of respect for you and a knowledge that spiritually we share the same wavelength. Even in disagreement hence, we share a spirit of unity in spirit.

Good to cach up with you on CAF and it may well be 24 hours hence before I feel I have time that your Post truly deserves. I will make this quick comment…very often perhaps if not in full at least in part we do fail to see our own selfhood with accuracy, rather through our ego or idea of self and after all only a concept in a fallible human being or a puff of smoke as it were. Certainly philosophy and also psychology do recognize a clear “I” and “Me” within each person and nowadays students of theology are familiar with both philosophy and psychology…as I understand things Reen!

Cacha tomorrow night probably - 7.35pm here in Sth Aussie now.

Barb:)

40.png
BarbaraTherese:
There is nothing quite so warming to me as to have someone who agrees with me, and nothing like being so far out in the cold as having no one who does!
Hmmm. Maybe that’s why “we” Full Mental Assent people are so desperate to express our feelings, even when words fail us.
Strikes me as healthy pondering Alan.
Turns out, anyway. Saved my life. Now if I can do anything about it, I can go on to help save the lives of my brothers.
Trust I have answered you adequately:o .
Barb, your words are too numerous for me to swallow all of them (I’m a very slow reader) but too precious for me to skip. I’m just a “pick and choose” Barb-reader, as I hereby concede – yes, I speak even when I was not really listening! 😛

The only way I could resolve even the bits of what you wrote that I read, forced me to change my way of thinking of I would be anxious about the mystery of what I missed about you. I’m now certain that I see what I am to see, no more and no less, with no guilt for having missed out – I just can’t handle guilt even more than I can’t read all your posts.

Those parts I skip are not simply wasted, though, as God is a perfect conservationist. The rest of the words are for others, not me, to hear. These words sound different to everyone, so the only way I can give you the attention I desire and put all that together was to develop a “holographic” way of thinking.

That means there is truth in every word you speak, but that truth may be obscured from the vantage point of one observer and revealed to another. A differe person looking from a different angel see a totally different understanding. Yes, I saw that I misspelled “angle” but this time decided to leave it despite its possible curse to me against lying. Why? Because I thought it was cool that I just accidentally typed Angel. I use these mistakes to indulge in thinking of my favorite people as if they were angels, because they all are my guardians and my friends – I guess that would be angel-friends.
as I read matters?
Ah, there you go again. Always reading!

I don’t know what to think when I see a beautiful woman who is always reading. I want her to be informed and intelligent, but I also like it when she looks up from the book and smiles. In your case, your writing beams smiles to me from across the planet.

Alan

Dear friends

A person might look at the Church as a box, there is everything within the box that makes the box a box. If someone expresses within the Church a theory or way of expression and thinking that is not acceptable to the box then the box is no longer a box but a box bent out of shape, distorted from the nature of what the box was and is.

Sometimes and only rarely sometimes does the bending of the box become a growth of the box and in that bending of the box it is stretched goes through a period of pain and alteration and becomes a wider, larger, deeper, richer box, but it always remains the box.

It is commendable to think outside of the box, to explore faith, but there is some pride and some arrogance in thinking outside of the box with a view to change the box rather than to enrich the box, if the box is changed it is no longer the box it was.

If a persons goal is to look outside of the box and try and enrich the box by doing so, then they should in all reasonable foresight expect to be questioned, perhaps scorned and to some extent admonished. A sincere and holy soul would tolerate this in wisdom recognising that what they are hoping to express will be met with suspicion and opposition purely because the box must be protected and protected it should be! Therefore to truly possess this detachment that is talked of here in this thread such opposition would be gratefully accepted and no voice would disturb inner peace and there would be no need for ‘back-up’ nor any need to feel inward upset however small.

I don’t think anything in this thread enriches the box, the things already spoken of by St Teresa , St Theresa and St John of the Cross. Personally the things expressed in this thread rather than enhance the box cause the box to be a cold and impersonal place and this is not the teachings of the Church founded on Love, Christ Jesus.

Jesus said Himself…I have come not to change the Law but to fulfill it…He didn’t change the box, He fulfilled it, enriched it brought it to fruition and His is the full and final revelation in God Himself.

Now I am all ‘boxed -out’

God Bless you all in your searchings outside of the box, it is commendable, but becareful outside of the box, where faith is easily lost, that is simply my warning to those thinking outside of the box, the box is the safest place, protect your position within the box at all times, be prudent what you buy into as people so easily buy into things and follow all manner of thinkings and it isn’t always the safest thing often it is very dangerous, simply that is my warning, not to stop thinking outside of the box, but be careful whereabouts outside of that ‘box’ you go and listen to the prudence and wisdom of the Majesterium within and in charge of the box, they have successfully protected the ‘box’, the Church, the Faith since Christ Jesus’ Ascencion. The ‘box’ isn’t the enemy, nor is the voice that cautiously protects the ‘box’.

God Bless you and much love and peace to you

Teresa

Sometimes we can get carried away with believing we are doing ‘something great for God’ that we honestly think we are doing something great for God when in all actuality it is more about ourselves and we do nothing great for God, but simply do it for ourselves.

40.png
springbreeze:
Now I am all ‘boxed -out’
Wow.

This was the first thing I’ve read since I got up this morning, and I’m already glad it’s Friday. 😉

Alan

40.png
AlanFromWichita:
Wow.

This was the first thing I’ve read since I got up this morning, and I’m already glad it’s Friday. 😉

Alan
Dear Alan :rotfl:

Friday it is and I’m over-joyed !!!

God Bless you and your family always Alan and much love and peace to you all

Teresa

springbreeze, it’s great to see you here. I was hoping I would. :yup:

Alan

From Barb’s article: Good and evil are simply mental evaluations imposed upon reality. Sounds to me like what the Pope referred to last evening in his homily, “Man wants to find himself in the tree of knowledge.”

From New Advent:
In its essential features Quietism is a characteristic of the religions of India. (Barb’s article features the philosophies of Indian Jesuit priest, Father Anthony de Mello…) Both Pantheistic Brahmanism and Buddhism aim at a sort of self-annihilation,
a state of indifference in which the soul enjoys an imperturbable tranquillity.
The example from Barb’s story about the nun concludes with:
Poor Mary! She thought she was being supported when she wasn’t. The point is that most of what we feel and think we conjure up for ourselves in our heads
The theory of Quietism advocates that one come to a “state of indifference, so one may enjoy an imperturbable tranquility” - one must undergo a self annihilation, so that the thoughts and/or deeds of others will not affect the person interiorly.

This certainly is not the teachings of St. Teresa and John of the Cross. Quietism is a heresy condemned by the Church, and was prevalent in the time of both of these saints. No doubt that was one major purpose of their writings, to expose the false nature of the theory.
Life is all perception and attitude, Carole, it could be said and in much of what I have read of de Mello (not all I repeat!) he simply is putting the concepts often of St. John and St. Teresa in contemporary terms.
Barb, I realize you did not want our objections, but rather common agreement for what you found to be helpful. I see that you are defensive, and that is your right. But I need to point out the problem with de Mello’s thinking, as has the Vatican in Contemplative’s link, for the sake of those who may be misled by them.

Carole

Hi, Barb,

quote: BarbaraTherese
…very often perhaps if not in full at least in part we do fail to see our own selfhood with accuracy, rather through our ego or idea of self and after all only a concept in a fallible human being or a puff of smoke as it were.
Will you please say a bit more on this? How are you
viewing real '“selfhood”, here?

quote: BarbaraTherese
…and nowadays students of theology are familiar with both philosophy and psychology…as I understand things Reen!
How to explain my response to this? I think I’d
rather deal with a clergman who hasn’t got a
clue as to what the New Age is, than a student
of theology -who has read something on Eastern
Meditation, [yet who has never ‘practiced’ same] -
but comes* away* from this reading, thinking
he/she now ‘understands’ this reality - ‘more’ than
said clergyman! :confused:

quote: BarbaraTherese, addressing Alan
You and I and incidentally Reen are on the same wave length even in dire disagreement because we do it in a spirit of unity, peace and mutual respect
I think we all learn from one another, even
in the* midst* of a different ‘take’ on a given reality.:yup:

Regards,

reen

Hi reen and others,

You raise lots of good issues. I just wanted to point out that, contrary to popular (1960s counter-cultural) opinion, Buddhism is not about “going with the flow”. Indeed, it’s about the very opposite of that. To wit:

"And who is the individual who goes with the flow? There is the case where an individual indulges in sensual passions and does evil deeds. This is called the individual who goes with the flow.

“And who is the individual who goes against the flow? There is the case where an individual doesn’t indulge in sensual passions and doesn’t do evil deeds. Even though it may be with pain, even though it may be with sorrow, even though he may be crying, his face in tears, he lives the holy life that is perfect & pure. This is called the individual who goes against the flow.”

Forgive my intrusion. Carry on.🙂

40.png
reen12:
I think we all learn from one another, even
in the* midst* of a different ‘take’ on a given reality.:yup:
Hi Reen. I like the way you said that. 👍

Julie and I were discussing something vaguely similar this morning. 😛

Regard,
Alan

This is a most interesting thread. I am reading, and, I hope, appreciating all that is being said.

quote: Alan
I think truth is everywhere, and is in all including these very rocks below our feet, screaming to be heard by those whose ears can hear.
Christ said: “Consider the lilies of the field…” He, too,
drew our attention to the things of God’s world to convey
a point - vis a vis God, and His relationship with His
sons and daughters.

“All creation will rejoice in the salvation of the sons and
daughers of God” All creation? Even the lily and the
stones underfoot?

And I ask myself: can there be an element of “attachment”
present - a possibility of self-seeking, self-preening - even in
terms of things mystical? As in: I am “attached” to this
particular expression of the mystical life? Teresa,
John of the Cross, the hesychast tradition - mistaking
the finger pointing to the moon, for the moon itself…
to use an Eastern expression?

Is there such a thing as a “craving” to “increase”…even
in things spiritual?

In terms of Quietism:

In the East, there is no “person” to *be *affected “interiorly.”

What there is, is a quiet “liveliness” - unseen - by those in
the West, who seek to define the experience, without having
expereinced same. The meditator, in the East, is
constantly counseled to “be aware.” No…‘Quietism.’
Rather… no ‘self’ no ‘person.’ Just the arising of
phenomenon, the flow of experience.

There’s a wry sense, in this. Even adherence to ‘positions’
‘viewpoints’ …the expression of ‘warnings’ ‘cautions’
would be viewed as expressions of ‘self.’

Attachments, cravings…my Church, my views,
‘approved’ mystics…all would be seen, in the
East, as demonstrations that the individual was
still ‘trapped’ by a mistaken view that a ‘self’
exists.
Staking out positions, urging this and that, would
be seen as feeding the fires of the ego…keeping
this non-existent ‘self’ going…

Does the above have a bearing on the Vatican’s reference
to ‘detachment.’?

I would think that a Christian might take heed - and
inquire: Is there an element of ‘self,’ - in my spiritual
quest, *howsoever *mystical?

I don’t need to “sign on” to the Eastern world-view, to learn
something from it.

The following tale, from the East, taught me a lot, in
terms of “watch out! you might stray from the Truth”:

A younger monk and an older monk were walking along
the road. It was teeming rain. They came upon a
young woman who wanted to cross the road, but all
was mud, and she didn’t know what to do.

The elder monk said to her: “If you wish, I’ll carry you
across to the the other side.” She was grateful, and
thanked him.

An hour later, having resumed their walk, the younger
monk said to the elder: “You know, we’re not supposed
to have anything to do with women. Yet you picked
her up and carried her across the road.”
The elder monk looked at him and said:
“I left her back there. Are you still carrying her?”

Another example of looking at the finger, pointing
to the moon, and not the moon itself.

Hmmmm. Is this part of the wisdom of the Orient,
the Vatican was referring to?

Best,

reen

Hi, Ahimsa!

quote: Ahimsa
Hi reen and others,

You raise lots of good issues. I just wanted to point out that, contrary to popular (1960s counter-cultural) opinion, Buddhism is not about “going with the flow”. Indeed, it’s about the very opposite of that. To wit:

"And who is the individual who goes with the flow? There is the case where an individual indulges in sensual passions and does evil deeds. This is called the individual who goes with the flow.

“And who is the individual who goes against the flow? There is the case where an individual doesn’t indulge in sensual passions and doesn’t do evil deeds. Even though it may be with pain, even though it may be with sorrow, even though he may be crying, his face in tears, he lives the holy life that is perfect & pure. This is called the individual who goes against the flow.”

Forgive my intrusion. Carry on.🙂
Well, if you think I was going to wade into the
Eightfold Path, and make the distinction between
‘go with the flow’ and the Way…forget it! 😃
I figured my explanation was already complex enough,
to begin with!

Somehow, I knew you’d show up and call me on
that!
😃
Yes, that *was *the way the Way was
viewed…egad!..in the sixties.

Would you please consider reading my last post,
and commenting on same? Corrections? Additions?

When I say:

quote: reen12
In the East, there is no “person” to *be *affected “interiorly.”
I’m assuming that the practitioner is following the Path,
not generating “karma.”

Do you see it this way?

Grand to see you weighing in, Ahimsa, given that the
topic refers to deMello and some of his “oriental
wisdom” as the Vatican rendered it.

Best, :tiphat:

reen12

As the title of the thread goes, mad or mystic? I can only comment that when I read St. Teresa of Avila, the mystic, I can understand her. When I read the stuff in this thread, my head feels rather mad, for the concepts are way beyond a thinking person’s reason.

I think I’ll stick with the mystics approved by the Church, rather than eastern writers that are not approved or canonized. Safety consists in following those writings whom the Church holds up as Doctors.

It’s analogous to going to a doctor who has a lawful license to practice “soul” medicine as opposed to one who reads a textbook and hopes to find some hidden gold that “might” be worth trying on the patient.

How interesting that one might think that following the saintly Doctors’ writings could be an “attachment.” Then praise God - I have an attachment! :clapping:

Carole

Hi reen,
40.png
reen12:
40.png
reen12:
In the East, there is no “person” to *be *
affected “interiorly.”

not generating “karma.”

Do you see it this way?
I’m wary about denying the “person” or the “self” in a public forum, since it can be so easily miscontrued. I prefer to deny something else: the existence of anything over which we have complete control. (In fact, this is one of the original definitions of “self” in Buddhism: that over which we have complete control.)

I may be mistaken, but I haven’t yet found anything over which I have complete control. I might have some control, or a lot of control, but never total control. (For instance, I have minimal control over my girlfriend. :D)

Of course, I can control many things, to some degree or other. I can choose to take up the Way or not, or eat dinner or not, or jog 2 miles or 4 miles, or not. If I take up the Way, for instance, I am in fact generating karma – hopefully, mostly positive karma, and minimal negative karma.

This is where “positive” attachment comes in. It’s good to be “attached” to the example of holy sages and saints, to sacred texts, to disciplines, practices, to the mood of happiness and joy. If you’re theistic, it would be “positive karma” to be attached to God. The positive attachments make way for the dissolution of negative attachments (greed, lust, delusion, etc.).

The next step not often talked about is that one’s “attachment” to the “positive” must also be surrendered – NOT in the sense that you necessarily give up or relinquish those positive actions. The relinquishment of attachment to positive actions is more of an internal non-attachment. The Buddha, for instance, continued to meditate after his enlightenment – but such meditation was done in a mental space of freedom. In Christianity, likewise, those Christians who manifested theosis (e.g., St. Seraphim of Sarov, I believe) still prayed and took communion, but with an attitude of complete freedom.

In Buddhist thought, once “non-attachment” to positive actions (not to mention negative actions) is realized, no more karma is produced. But as long as some level of attachment is there – even if you’re on the Way – karma is being made.

(Then the question becomes: “If you’re still making karma even if you’re on the Way, how can you ever be free of karma?” I’ll leave that question for another time.:D)

Hi, Ahimsa,
Hi reen,

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen12

Quote:
Originally Posted by reen12

**In the East, there is no “person” to *be ***affected “interiorly.”
not generating “karma.”

Do you see it this way?
I’m wary about denying the “person” or the “self” in a public forum, since it can be so easily miscontrued. I prefer to deny something else: the existence of anything over which we have complete control. (In fact, this is one of the original definitions of “self” in Buddhism: that over which we have complete control.)

I may be mistaken, but I haven’t yet found anything over which I have complete control. I might have some control, or a lot of control, but never total control. (For instance, I have minimal control over my girlfriend. :D)

Of course, I can control many things, to some degree or other. I can choose to take up the Way or not, or eat dinner or not, or jog 2 miles or 4 miles, or not. If I take up the Way, for instance, I am in fact generating karma – hopefully, mostly positive karma, and minimal negative karma.

The story goes that not until there is non-attachment to greed, lust, and delusion, are my actions totally free of producing karma.
Particularly:

The story goes that not until there is non-attachment to greed, lust, and delusion, are my actions totally free of producing karma.
(In fact, this is one of the original definitions of “self” in Buddhism: that over which we have complete control.)
Very interesting. 👋

More insightful than my own rendition, I think. :tiphat:

Many thanks, Ahimsa,

Maureen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back