Making an alb

  • Thread starter Thread starter Brain
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Brain

Guest
So, having gotten tired of ill fitting server albs, expensive good albs, and wrap-around albs that are just plain ugly. I have decided to make an alb for myself. Yes, I know how to sew well enough to do it, and have lots of sisters who could help if i get stuck. The problem is that I simply could not find a pattern. So I made one. The style is a square neck, box pleated alb. See the links:

HUGE(Hopefully life-size if your browser shows it right) barney.gonzaga.edu/~bthompson/big_alb.jpg
smaller
barney.gonzaga.edu/~bthompson/small_alb.jpg
each square is 2"x2"

comments? modifications needed?

thanks.
 
Ill-fitting vestments are a habitual problem (congratulations to you for addressing it).

The problem, of course, is one size fits all, meaning one size fits none. Altar servers are one thing, but in terms of celebrants,. vestments should be tailored to go with the priest, not with the parish. My home parish had a curate many years ago who spent his own money on vestments for this reason. Even the pope, and the situation regarding his initial vestiture is well know, never looks right in his first appearance on the balcony. That’s true even of Josef Ratzinger, who is a man of rather average build.
 
I am not a big fan of Servers wearing ALBs. Ordinarily the server should be wearing a cassock and surplice.

Can anyone tell me if the altar servers wearing ALBs is something that has cropped up since VII.

Cassocks and Surplices are the way to go:thumbsup:
 
I hear you, we recently instituted adult servers for one Mass, and evidently the size range stops at L, no XL or XXL, sounds like altar society is going to have to raise funds for more albs.
 
I am not a big fan of Servers wearing ALBs. Ordinarily the server should be wearing a cassock and surplice.
cassocks are even more difficult to fit, and in most cases must be tailor made, which is probably why the alb thing became the norm (I always think of those 60s garments that were so popular, cover-all robe things made of towels).
 
At the moment an alb is more practical. The only place where I would wear a cassock while serving, they have an alb in size “golliath”.

Oh and for those looking at the pattern, I am 6’, 265 lbs, 50" chest, 40" waist, 36-37" arms. I think it is well fitted, as albs are loose and I think the pattern will be 56-60" in the chest, waist doesnt matter in an alb, and the length is intentionally overlong in the pattern. The sleeves are a bit of a concern as i dont exactly know how to create 36" of sleeve in 2D
 
Oh, and does a roman alb need the bell shape to the skirt? or does the pleat allowance take away the need for a bell shape to the alb?
 
Cassocks are not that bad. At my parish we have about 10 cassocks and about 8 surplices. Everyone from the little boys to myself can get vested just fine.

Now, we generally have 4 altar boys for a High Mass, but more than that it can become problematic. But I only know of one Novus Ordo parish that uses more than one or two altar servers.

The “robes” (I can’t even call them albs) that the local NO uses are off white and silly. I was actually thinking about buying my own cassock and a very nice, lacey, surplice.
 
cassocks are even more difficult to fit, and in most cases must be tailor made, which is probably why the alb thing became the norm (I always think of those 60s garments that were so popular, cover-all robe things made of towels).
we use rj toomey off the rack, summertime cassocks. around 200.00 or so each.
 
Yeah, not an ugly 60’s thing. I am making an alb that essentially looks like a very long, box pleated, surplice.
 
I am not a big fan of Servers wearing ALBs. Ordinarily the server should be wearing a cassock and surplice.

Can anyone tell me if the altar servers wearing ALBs is something that has cropped up since VII.

Cassocks and Surplices are the way to go:thumbsup:
Since the alb is representative of our baptismal garment, it is fitting for all ministers. The cassock and surplice are really clerical garments and are not designed for lay people. They were used in the Middle Ages because the young men who were “servers” were in minor orders. Since the elimination of minor orders in the West (they are retained in the East) there is no justification for lay persons wearing them.

And, yes, this is a change that came about after Vatican II since it was after Vatican II that Pope Paul VI suppressed the minor orders.

Deacon Ed
 
. The cassock and surplice are really clerical garments and are not designed for lay people. They were used in the Middle Ages because the young men who were “servers” were in minor orders. d
Which is at very least a slight contributory factor to the priestly shortage in several parts of AMerica and the world. When young boys (of which I was one of as an altar boy who had a hunch that Holy Orders may be in play for them) have that “special” role taken away from them (ie reduction of the male only altar server) the specialness fades away and they ( like me and several boys in my day) bolt to the pew.

The real reason for no more cassock and surplices is …Girls would look really really stupid in them. The whole point of wearing clerical like garb was to make the boys “feel” like special helpers dressing like the priest.

it was an honor and it stopped feeling like an honor when we put on the white bathrobes and allowed the girls to wear the bathrobes too.
 
Which is at very least a slight contributory factor to the priestly shortage in several parts of AMerica and the world. When young boys (of which I was one of as an altar boy who had a hunch that Holy Orders may be in play for them) have that “special” role taken away from them (ie reduction of the male only altar server) the specialness fades away and they ( like me and several boys in my day) bolt to the pew.

The real reason for no more cassock and surplices is …Girls would look really really stupid in them. The whole point of wearing clerical like garb was to make the boys “feel” like special helpers dressing like the priest.

it was an honor and it stopped feeling like an honor when we put on the white bathrobes and allowed the girls to wear the bathrobes too.
I have to disagree with you. I served as an altar boy for a great many years. The parish I served at wore black cassocks and white surplices. We always envied the parishes that used red cassocks and white surplices – they looked so sharp!

However, the wearing of cassock and surplice was of little import in the decision of a young man to seek a life of service to the Church as a priest or religious brother (permanent deacons were a long way in the future). The role of service did, in some small way, help. But the big factor was a priest asking a young man to consider the priesthood. That, and then mentoring the young man, were the primary factors in those that I knew who entered the priesthood. I was asked, but I knew that God had a different path for me to walk. Yet, still I served.

The young men who serve at my Latin parish wear albs. Two of them, twins, entered the seminary in spite of wearing albs. The cam from a large family (with many sisters) and choose to follow a call to the priesthood. One, sadly, had a congenital heart problem and died during formation. The other is a wonderful priest, dedicated to his people. I trained him as an altar server, I mentored him during his diaconate, and I encourage him in his priesthood.

Wearing an alb or not wearing cassock and surplice has little to do with whether or not a young man will follow the call to the priesthood. Being called, being nurtured, being supported in his decision are far more important factors.

Deacon Ed
 
Servers should look good, or at least be thought of when considering progressive solemnity (more important feast = break out the nice albs or cintures or somthing! at least for those who will actually be on the Altar…). I like cassocks and suplices as much as the next guy but albs are generally the norm now, and though C and S looks better in general (when the servers have better albs than the infamous “bathrobes” I think they look just fine though) my particular bias is that clerical clothing be kept clerical or at least in that neighborhood. That is, though there are no longer minor orders, so they arent clerics precisely, I think it would still be acceptable for a seminarian (at least the Theologians) to use a C and S at masses and the like if they were in a role that was important (if they were funtioning as the Accolyte or MC for example, whether they were installed as an accolyte or not)

As to inspiring vocations, the clothes arent really the thing. I agree it is partially, though not entirely, the special feeling of being the one on the altar. I do have some particular biases regarding altar servers and function to maximize vocational discernment and that feeling of “specialness” which are inspired by a priest or two I respect deeply. But they definatly involve a co-ed system*, as that is what the Vatican has allowed. I cannot selectively listen to the Church. Yes, altar girls are an option now, and though option is the important word, the presence of that choice especially in America begs that that option be used, and rightly so.

*The system I am referring to is to allow the kids to serve regardless of sex and age, but they have roles that are not directly on the altar, and generally do not sit in the sactuary (crucifer, candle bearer, holding the book for the priest, carrying othger things in procession, ringing the bells at the concecration, etc). But the only server (or 2 on some occasions) that sits in the sanctuary (though out of sight or in a non-prominent place) and is on the altar directly and helps with the Lavabo or purification (purs the water, the priest of course actually does the washing), and puts the vessels and gifts on the altar, and incense, or any other work IN the sanctuary, is either a seminarian or a young man who is actively discerning. The “accolyte” group is a separate entity from the servers, and is generally by invitation or self-initiated request (no cattle calls). I like sthis system in many respects, though there are parts that I would change.
 
Can’t really be of any help with a pattern, but am glad you are serious enough about serving to want to look your best.

The parishes in my area have gone to somewhat loose-fitting monastic albs for the altar boys and girls, cowls and all. Even then, some of the kids don’t fit into the available vesture, and I don´t want to think about an adult trying to use them.

When I was a chaplain’s assistant in the Army, one chapel simply did not have cassocks or albs in my size, so the priest who was a Captain and “on loan” from the Redemptorists had me wear a CSSR habit after I’d had to serve a wedding in Levi’s and cowboy shirt. I met the groom a few years later, and apparently my attire had turned out to be a wholly unintended highlight of the wedding:) .
 
I have to disagree with you. I served as an altar boy for a great many years. The parish I served at wore black cassocks and white surplices. We always envied the parishes that used red cassocks and white surplices – they looked so sharp!

Deacon Ed
Fair enough but I was implying that part of the reason for going away from cassocks and surplices was because they identified with holy orders…and when girls came along the cassock and surplice had to be done away with. I am certain of two boys in my childhood that were strong potentials for the priesthood. These two boys were “senior” altar boys and mentors for the rest of us…they quit the “ministry” almost to the DAY the first girl showed up in an ALB to serve. I remember Pat (one of the boys) was devastated. I had been a server for 6 years at the time when the roles models left it all just fell apart and several of us quit. That was my childhood parish and Now there are 3 boys (4th and 5th graders) and 20 girls.

Oh by the way we wore the Red Cassocks. And if you say that clothing had nothing to do with it then why were you so jealous of the other parish that had red ones?
 
I have to disagree with you. I served as an altar boy for a great many years. The parish I served at wore black cassocks and white surplices. We always envied the parishes that used red cassocks and white surplices – they looked so sharp!
Amen! The next parish over used to wear red cassocks on special occasions, and I used to think they looked so cool. At the parish where I served, we always wore black.

This was back in the 70’s, and I haven’t been back to my old parish in almost 20 years. So I don’t know what they do today.
 
Okay, so I have been looking long and hard at my pattern and I think the bell of the skirt is OK, my concern now is the sleeves and the cut of the shoulderpeices and the top of the skirt to fit said sleeve, especially the angle of the sleeve when the alb is laid flat. should it follow the slope of the shoulderpeice or should it stick out 90 degrees or some other angle? If the former, how does one raise one’s arms up without lifting the skirt with it, and if the latter what angle should be used? if anyone even had a closeup high-ish resolution picture of the front, back, and armpit of the shoulder portion of a square-neck alb or surplice with non-belled sleeves and/or such a garment laid flat on a table so as to determine the sleeve angle, that would help a bunch.
 
Unfortunately, I am unable to access your alb pattern. I am desperately seeking a pattern for a surplice and this sounds like I could modify yours if able to access it. Any suggestions?
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top