Prohibition was a complete disaster.
That is exactly why you should be VERY hesitant to legalize. As Catholics we aren’t utilitarian, so I don’t like speaking from a “what is best for society” viewpoint. Laws inform the morality of the people. But that said, nobody really knows what the long-term affects on society are of marijuana use.
Let’s at least entertain the possibility that they are REALLY BAD, nobody can say for sure otherwise (and I’m not saying they necessarily will be). We will never ever be able to take back what we’ve done, as you pointed out with prohibition. I hope we can agree that more research needs to be done. And I don’t want to gamble with society’s future.
Some people eat food that is really not good for them. Is that a sin?
Some people exceed the speed limit driving their vehicle. Is that a sin?Any object or product can be abused.
Are guns bad, because some people use them for bad things?
I don’t think you understood me. All of those things: food, alcohol, driving cars are not objectively morally wrong because they are not ordered toward evil outcomes. As to speeding, the church has a tradition of saying that breaking just civil laws isn’t morally right. As to whether or not it’s elevated to the rank of “sin” I don’t know.
However, weed is ordered toward getting high. We make these sorts of arguments all the time. Getting your significant other to take their clothes off so you can ogle them isn’t sex. But it’s a sin because rightfully understood, it is ordered toward premarital sex. I don’t see how smoking weed can be ordered toward anything other than destroying your reason
even if you stop short of that. If you want to change my mind tell me what else weed can be used for recreationally. Does it taste nice? Anything???
If we’re not even supposed to have a hint of sexual immorality in our lives, why would Jesus tolerate a hint of drunkenness?